Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What a great Xmas present from the wife (NOT)

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2005, 01:39 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What a great Xmas present from the wife (NOT)

If while I've been working away from home, my wife fraudulently uses my credit card cheque book to run up a £19k bill in two months is there anything I can do about it. Obviously killing her is illegal so what can I do. I can't contact the credit card company as they require the full card number to be keyed in (I don't have the card with me). The online statement only gives the last 6 digits.
Surely their security is a bix lax. Last year when my previous card expired, I received a new card with a telephone number to get it activated. I didn't intent to use it so I didn't bother phoning.
I'm at my wits end with this and I can't think rationally ,so I'd appreciate any sensible suggestions on what to do.
Cheers!

ok, for a start, she doesn't get a Christmas present from me. It'll go to my sister instead.
Old 20 December 2005, 01:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say 'IF' ............. so, it hasn't happened - rest easy and enjoy your Xmas then!!

Pete
Old 20 December 2005, 01:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

She may, of course, have bought you a brand new Scooby!!!!

Pete
Old 20 December 2005, 01:59 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"if" she has you card, and is allowed to sign on it, then sorry mate not a lot you can do, besides suing her personally.

if not then the cr card co is liable.

unless you are planning this together to claim the money back - then its jail for you both i'm afraid
Old 20 December 2005, 02:09 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

The card's in my name only. She forged my signature to pay of her own mounting debts. She is a compulsive spender. The statements get sent to my (former) home address. There are always cheques attached to the back of the statement. Too much temptation for her.
Hopefully I'll be able to get the transactions reversed. If not, I'll be selling my Impreza and Fireblade in the very near future.
Old 20 December 2005, 02:17 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

i presume we are talking ex (or soon to be ex) wife.

i would get onto the credit card company NOW!

even if you don't have the full credit card number you will eventually get through to them.

CANCEL ALL YOUR CARDS THAT AREN'T IN YOUR HOUSE - NOW!

then report them stolen, and tell them exactly whats happened.

and crossd your fingers. do you have credit card insurance? you *should* be ok even if not

good luck
Old 20 December 2005, 02:29 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I see two fundamental reasons why you are now in deep financial ****.

1. you have a wife.
2. you have a credit card.

my motto has always been, if you can't afford to pay cash, switch or cheque, then you cant afford it, so you cant own or buy it....simple!
Old 20 December 2005, 02:57 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

jesus christ, I thought I was a bad spender!! I feel really sorry for you!! hope you get it sorted matey!!

Carla..
Old 20 December 2005, 02:58 PM
T_H_E__c_R_O_W
Scooby Regular

no house for u then Chip?

You should be able to get the money back through ether insurance or personal courts.

hope u get it all sorted out.
Old 20 December 2005, 03:09 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

yes, I was going to put "apart from the obvious house" but I thought it was too obvious
Old 20 December 2005, 03:13 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

If she is a wife you dont want to keep, get her nicked for it

£19k of credit card fraud would'nt go town to well at the local Magistrates Courts as deception offences are considered far worse than normal "theft" matters

She may even do some bird!
Old 20 December 2005, 03:20 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by King Eric

She may even do some bird!

If she's in long enough, you're probably right!
Old 20 December 2005, 03:30 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
If not, I'll be selling my Impreza and Fireblade in the very near future.
How much do you want for your blade mate?????

Sorry mate, shouldn't take the p***!!! an ex once took me for a couple of grand, sort of pales compared into nothing really,

I hope you get things sorted out buddy!!!

What is it with some women
Old 20 December 2005, 03:35 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Think i would be inclined to speak to a solicitor rather than the scoobynetters. No offence intended seeing as i am one. Seriously though its a bit of a no brainer, id have contacted everyone by now i.e police, credit card company and solicitors. im sure they will give you better advice than anything you will get from an internet forum. If its 19k why on earth are you not on the 1st plane home to kick the **** out of her?
Old 20 December 2005, 03:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

^^^ Agree with the above. Get Plod, the CC company and a solicitor involved. It's a crime, and there is only one proper way to deal with it, LAW. Might teach the lady a lesson that she is well overdue learning IMHO.
Old 20 December 2005, 04:50 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

19k on a credit card?

Is it me or is that a rather big limit?

Sounds a bit odd to me, esp if CC company did not try and contact you due to irregular spending.
Old 20 December 2005, 05:51 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

^^ he said its registered to where she is living. There are probably loads of letters on her doormat.

i agree though, the credit card company should have cut it off anyway, if you usually use say a grand or 2 a month, and suddendly you whack out £19k, alarm bells should start ringing.
Old 20 December 2005, 06:06 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

If while I've been working away from home, my wife fraudulently uses my credit card cheque book to run up a £19k bill in two months is there anything I can do about it. Obviously killing her is illegal so what can I do. I can't contact the credit card company as they require the full card number to be keyed in (I don't have the card with me). The online statement only gives the last 6 digits.
Surely their security is a bix lax. Last year when my previous card expired, I received a new card with a telephone number to get it activated. I didn't intent to use it so I didn't bother phoning.
I'm at my wits end with this and I can't think rationally ,so I'd appreciate any sensible suggestions on what to do.
Cheers!

ok, for a start, she doesn't get a Christmas present from me. It'll go to my sister instead.
I had exactly the same problem 7 years ago with similar sums involved with my NOW X-wife.

Contact the credit card company and ask for their Fraud Department (which they all have). Explain the situation and ask for any copies they have on file of your signature. They will conduct their own investigation, but you can help your own cause. Ask for copies of any statements for the period your wife was using the card. Pick a couple of shops on the list and ask for copies of any receipts they have which include signatures on them.
Thus armed with the signature that the credit card company has and the signatures on the receipts (that your missus has done) pop along to a solicitor and let them do rest.

The signatures that my x-wife did were similar but 2 handwriting experts (on behalf of my solicitor and the C-Card comopany) both knew that mine had been copied and I never had to pay 1p of any of the outstanding debt.

Last I knew of the issue was that my x-wife had legged it and the police/credit card company were after her.
Old 20 December 2005, 06:14 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Default NB.....

...this situation also outlines the importance of notifying change of address.

I assume it's an ex-wife?

Si.
Old 20 December 2005, 06:45 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Scunnered mate, know exactly how you feel, I found out about three years ago that the misses had run up about 30k without me knowing a thing about it, to make it worse she had/has a decent job so not only spent her wages (which have always been hers as I pay all the bills and the mortgage etc) but ran up catalogues, credit card bills and one of those consolodation loans as well.

Now this is after I bailed her out of about 8k when we first met and so a re-mortgage later and a dip into savings thought it was all better but found out a month ago that she has just run up another £600 overdraft on her current account, so looks like it is starting again, its not a weakness its an illness, like a drug, whenever they feel down they reach for the credit card to buy themselves out of it.

If it is a criminal matter, then you have some hard choices to make, but either way you need to get her help, I thought I could sort it out myself but it dont work like that, everytime she feels a little insecure or you don't pay the attention she thinks you need because of work or what ever then the spending will keep happening.

No answers, sorry mate, just know where you are.

SN

Last edited by Scooby.Newbie; 20 December 2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 20 December 2005, 06:51 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Coupe-Se
I had exactly the same problem 7 years ago with similar sums involved with my NOW X-wife.

Contact the credit card company and ask for their Fraud Department (which they all have). Explain the situation and ask for any copies they have on file of your signature. They will conduct their own investigation, but you can help your own cause. Ask for copies of any statements for the period your wife was using the card. Pick a couple of shops on the list and ask for copies of any receipts they have which include signatures on them.
Thus armed with the signature that the credit card company has and the signatures on the receipts (that your missus has done) pop along to a solicitor and let them do rest.

The signatures that my x-wife did were similar but 2 handwriting experts (on behalf of my solicitor and the C-Card comopany) both knew that mine had been copied and I never had to pay 1p of any of the outstanding debt.

Last I knew of the issue was that my x-wife had legged it and the police/credit card company were after her.

All good advice, but the fact is, is that your average 18yr old zit faced shop assistant in River Island is no expert in handwriting.

And who, ever managed to replicate thier own signature properly on the back of a CC anyway? not me, the strip is about a quater of the full height of my sig.
Old 20 December 2005, 07:52 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

It was on three seperate cards. The limits are £10k, £7.5K, and £4K.
I cleared them all off a couple of years ago, vowing never to use them again unless in an emergency. So with a zero balance, I didn't bother looking at the online statements, until yesterday.
My road tax is up at the end of the month, insurance is due on the 29th Dec, MOT on the 6th Jan and I also need a couple tyres. So I decided it to be an emergency credit card moment.
I've been on the phone to the card company and also to the wife. I have two choices. I can easily get the money back but only if I involve the police and have her charged with fraud. The card company will then do their own investigation (about 14 days). The other choice is to come to some sort of arrangement with her (not a chance of that).
I'm going home on Thursday, so a trip to the police station followed by a solicitor will be the schedule for Friday.

I'm thinking a bit clearer now as to my course of action.
Thanks for all your repies, all except pslewis that is.
Old 20 December 2005, 08:22 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I'm going home on Thursday, so a trip to the police station followed by a solicitor will be the schedule for Friday.
Good luck mate. You've made a brave decision. She's not going to learn without a shock and you've done nothing wrong. All the best
Old 20 December 2005, 08:54 PM
Raartoot
Scooby Regular

hang on...

So what you saying is, is that you went to work , away like you say, You find out the Wife (who before you walked out the door for work, You loved and adored extremely) has RINSED your credit cards and now you gonna go to the police and get her charged with fraud....??.....
.....Am I stupid to ask if you still Love and adore your wife??

Yeah I know she has rinsed you mate but wasnt things a little ropey between you before this working away?? cos if there was then I can understand a logic of her robbing you but if you both were ok then obviously she aint a very worthy wife really eh cos no real wife would dream of that much, Maybe a couple of grand ....

Seems a little extreme doesnt it!!!

Last edited by Raartoot; 20 December 2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 20 December 2005, 09:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your repies, all except pslewis that is.
I did say she may have spent the £19k on a nice new STi for you

Pete
Old 20 December 2005, 11:23 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

get her banged up
Old 20 December 2005, 11:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
get her banged up
And after that, report her to the Police

Pete
Old 20 December 2005, 11:29 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
And after that, report her to the Police

Pete

or rent her out
Old 20 December 2005, 11:54 PM
Smatt
Scooby Regular

If the cards are in your name only, you should be ok. If you had a card each then I am afraid it may not be so easy. You should after a certain amount of argueing, still be treated as the innocent party. The problem you have with this sort of thing is that all of us, at some time, have given the other half our cards to use at the hole in the wall or on-line. This will be the argument that any brief would use for her. If you have however, moved out, or can prove that you were no longer an item (ie. filed for divorce, changed where household payments etc were made) you should be OK. When the Police want you to press charges, you must however say yes. Any faultering will leave you vulnerable.
Make sure that you keep/find as many statements as possible. The credit card companies will be on your side, trust me. The reason for this is they have to cover all the bad debt. So use them, they will really be your allie.

You never know though, she may be in the garage on Christmas morning, draped over the bonnet of a brand new WRX, looking very sexy indeed.

The problem will be, that it is not your garage.

Only joking, **** the bitch.

Stay solid, don't relent or show any leniency, and you should be OK.

Good Luck

Simon
Old 21 December 2005, 08:04 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Act first think later.

Kick the living **** out of her then pursue the matter further.

If she is proven innocent then she probably deserved a kick in for something else she has done.

She is bound to have cooked a couple of dodgy caseroles at some point which is more than enough reason for a slapping.

Quick Reply: What a great Xmas present from the wife (NOT)