Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is it a desirable thing to own a listed building

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2005, 10:00 AM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a desirable thing to own a listed building

or do the negatives outway the benifits?
would it gain extra value being listed?
Old 18 December 2005, 10:09 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think there are at least 2 types of listings aren't there? Grade 1 and Grade 2. I've always avoided because of the restrictions on how you can alter them or add additions. I think Grade 2 changes can get quite expensive as you have to use materials in keeping with structure. You can't just bang in some aluminium framed windows!! But I have no idea of what the benefits are.... dl
Old 18 December 2005, 11:09 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

There are also grades like 2*, which is higher than a 2 but not quite a 1.
Old 18 December 2005, 11:09 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Think you can claim VAT back on repairs & maint. (& also sent to prision as it can be a crim offence to bugger about with it )

D
Old 18 December 2005, 11:53 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Depends on the specific property and what you are planning ?

If you're looking to buy to live in it, and its all as you want it as far as room layout, exterior look etc... goes then it wont make a difference, if you're planning to gut it and convert it into 50 bedsits then you'll have problems.

Best thing to do is talk to the local planning department in the council, explain what you are thinking of doing and ask them what the listed statud covers, and what you are likely to be able to get planning permission for.
Old 18 December 2005, 12:37 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Grade 2 iirc is ok to change inside but not out (as in looks etc) and all repairs to outside must be in keeping.

Grade 1 even re-wiring for safety causes problems
Old 18 December 2005, 02:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I live in an old Toll gate cottage which is built out of stone and has a significant history. We love the house but are very relieved that it is not listed. We will keep it as original as possible commensurate with our own comfort, but would not like the "thought police" telling us what we can and can't do.

Les

Trending Topics

Old 18 December 2005, 06:12 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

And another disadvantage of a listed home is that they were built for people less than 5 foot tall
Old 18 December 2005, 06:15 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Grade 2 iirc is ok to change inside but not out (as in looks etc) and all repairs to outside must be in keeping.

Grade 1 even re-wiring for safety causes problems
y mate lives in some gr2 cottages...

both needed extensive repairs and modernisiation...

tiles for the roof... £1 each and thats reclaimed stuff!! and its only a single pitch..

the cost of renovation has made it very time consuming and expensive..

M
Old 18 December 2005, 06:16 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

This property in S Cornwall is listed grade 2 within a Special Conservation Area.

I have had several occasions to deal with planning authorities. I replaced the existing casement windows with more traditional Cornish sash windows. To do this I had to get planning permission. Though I was changing the external appearance, I was changing it for the better. The planning authority agreed and welcomed the change. They also welcomed the re-roofing of various old (pre planning permission) roofs with slate. Though they can be a bit picky about exactly which slate.

Inside alterations are a bit of a grey area. I think you would have to get permission to substantially change the interior. Refurbishment is OK. Altering the layout is not.

Last edited by CharlesW; 19 December 2005 at 06:36 AM.
Old 18 December 2005, 06:51 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there are also potential issues if previous owners have done things without consent aswell...... ie, you cop the blame!
Old 18 December 2005, 08:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

A building is listed to preserve or enhance its special architectural or historic interest. What that interest is will vary from building to building so irrespective of grade of listing it is not possible to say, 'this, that or the next thing' is possible without looking specifically at the individual building. This is part of the reason they are a nightmare because if you phone the local authority to ask to rip out an old fire they will nearly always require you to send in lots of photo's/details or they will come and look themselves.

In the main though its fair to say that the higher grades are generally more restrictive. However, anyone buying a listed building should go in with eyes open as they can be restrictive and you have to respect that certain elements (sometimes lots of elements) of the building will have to remain no matter how much you hate them, they inconveinence your modern living or how much fashion has changed.

For readers in Scotland our grading system is different with A-listed being the highest, then B-Listed and the C(s)-Listed but the principle is the same.

Remember a building may well be listed for one specific thing. In the picture above the roof will very much be part of the buildings character and they would be very unlikely to allow you to change it but it could also be the case that a building is listed because someone famous once lived, died, was born in it, etc.
Old 18 December 2005, 08:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We had a grade 2 place recently which we had to sell ( death duties) - in the process anyways various archietects and eventually listings people arrived to take photos of all the various key features/ layout - dont think theyd been round since '89(first time listed) - thought it best cos the next owners were going to throw a heck of a lot of cash at it ....
Have to watch the windows thing - this place had 25/30 windows most on the way out - guy said each window HAS to be repaired - not good enough simply to replace as is.
As the guy above says if you like a house with a bit of history AND are happy with the layout - and can cope with the possible expense -go for it.