Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do the police have to obey the law?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2005, 09:22 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Do the police have to obey the law?

specifically: can they park a Transit on double yellows to watch what someone else is doing? Half of me says yes, but the other half, thinking about them having to obey speed limits, (except with blues and twos on, or when trying to get used to a new car ), says no.

Alcazar
Old 17 December 2005, 09:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, unless it is necessary to break a law in the exercise of their duties. Vague, but allows them to do whatever they want as long as they can come up with some convoluted excuse for their actions.
Old 17 December 2005, 11:42 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

There is an office of HMC&E near where I work in Central London, and they have a number of their vehicles parked on double yellows virtually 24 x 7 but never get ticketed. So I suspect certain law enforcement agencies are above the law in this respect.

Gary.
Old 17 December 2005, 11:46 AM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Yes. Traffic wardens round here used to give parking tickets to the police cars parked on the pavement outside the cop shop let alone on double yellows.
Old 17 December 2005, 11:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GCollier
There is an office of HMC&E near where I work in Central London, and they have a number of their vehicles parked on double yellows virtually 24 x 7 but never get ticketed. So I suspect certain law enforcement agencies are above the law in this respect.

Gary.
Agreed, HMC&E are a lot higher up the foodchain the traffic wardens and even the Police - not people to **** about!
Old 17 December 2005, 05:28 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Bit of commom sense needed here don't you think?

If it is felt that in order to stop,avert,detain a suspect after an offence I think it is more than reasonable for us to use our exemptions when it comes to double yellow lines. Otherwise we'd have to go looking for spots to park legally everytime we turned up to a job ( I can see it now "Sorry we didn't get to you sooner and catch the burglar but PC Perkins didn't have 20p for the meter!!").

And to be honest you didn't know what they were doing do you, if it was a terrorist looking to place a bomb i don't even think this thread would be started would it? Yes, if you see it double parked and two cops walking out of a shop with coffee/doughnuts i think then they need advising but day to day jobs just let them get on with it yeah?

On a similar note i was on duty last night driving through the city (3am) when i slowed down to 20-25mph to look into a closed pub as i had seen movement inside. Happy it was staff cleaning up i drove on to traffic lights ahead only to get some dimwit pull up along side and say, i quote 'I know you're enforcing the law but its a 30 along here and you're doing 20, come on!!"
Just shows what respect etc there once was has gone clean out of the window!!!
Old 17 December 2005, 05:34 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

hhmm,
outside my local station the staffs own cars are parked up on the pavement and spilling oto the road slightly, and when we take a disabled member of the family out we have to wheel the chair into the road for about 20yards.
cheers lads, thanks for being so thoughtful

Trending Topics

Old 17 December 2005, 05:37 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris5-0

Yes, if you see it double parked and two cops walking out of a shop with coffee/doughnuts i think then they need advising but day to day jobs just let them get on with it yeah?

I can beat that....last tuesday night, police marked mondeo parked on the pavement on the zig zagged bit by a crossing and junction while the two officers were in a kebab shob getting food.
Sadly memory on camera phone full when i tried to snap it- and too far away to get their numbers.
Considering I got a parking ticket from an officer not 10 foot away from that spot (on doubles not on zig zags) and a load of verbal abuse just a few weeks before at around midnight when I was getting food for myself it makes you wonder....

and @alcazars 'getting used to new car' comment
Old 17 December 2005, 05:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Chris

Sadly and to a certian extent i think you are correct.
I feel that often the Police are perceived as only interested in speeding motorists and not really interested or too busy in real crime.

Anyone with half a brain knows that this is the result of poor government (not just Labour but the previous Tory's as well) and the top 'career-yes-men' cops.
Old 17 December 2005, 06:32 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
hhmm,
outside my local station the staffs own cars are parked up on the pavement and spilling oto the road slightly, and when we take a disabled member of the family out we have to wheel the chair into the road for about 20yards.
cheers lads, thanks for being so thoughtful
Not on that is it?

Perhaps a visit into the nick pointing out what you have discussed will have desired effect (knowing the pc nature of the job at the minute i think you'll find them falling over themselves to move the vehicles ans never park there again!!).

As for the zig zag parking, again not on, it's these idiots making our jobs harder by the day!
Old 17 December 2005, 06:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Hi Chris

Sadly and to a certian extent i think you are correct.
I feel that often the Police are perceived as only interested in speeding motorists and not really interested or too busy in real crime.

Anyone with half a brain knows that this is the result of poor government (not just Labour but the previous Tory's as well) and the top 'career-yes-men' cops.
<nods>

Old 17 December 2005, 06:53 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

No the Police have lost the Public's respect and support the only time that most people meet the Police is when they drive past a camera van or Gatso, when they do try and contact the Police about some thing like kids keying cars or house being broken into or kids riding round estates on stolen motor bikes at night with no lights/helmets etc the Police are to busy to attend resulting further in the impression that they are all out nicking people speeding by doing 33 in a 30.

Shame years ago it was different
Old 17 December 2005, 07:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

If it is felt that in order to stop,avert,detain a suspect after an offence I think it is more than reasonable for us to use our exemptions when it comes to double yellow lines. Otherwise we'd have to go looking for spots to park legally everytime we turned up to a job ( I can see it now "Sorry we didn't get to you sooner and catch the burglar but PC Perkins didn't have 20p for the meter!!").

And to be honest you didn't know what they were doing do you, if it was a terrorist looking to place a bomb i don't even think this thread would be started would it? Yes, if you see it double parked and two cops walking out of a shop with coffee/doughnuts i think then they need advising but day to day jobs just let them get on with it yeah?

On a similar note i was on duty last night driving through the city (3am) when i slowed down to 20-25mph to look into a closed pub as i had seen movement inside. Happy it was staff cleaning up i drove on to traffic lights ahead only to get some dimwit pull up along side and say, i quote 'I know you're enforcing the law but its a 30 along here and you're doing 20, come on!!"
its a pity it dosent run both ways..

what get most people backs up is the way we are treated with contempt by some of the supposed upholders of the law...

how many times do you see a fed starship in the outside lane, cruising along at 80... yet you or i do that, and the scamvans are jumping for joy..

its becoming policing by numbers literally. with everything being catagorised and numbered and if the results dont fit the expected answer, then its use option x to make it fit.

Mart
Old 17 December 2005, 07:52 PM
Bully3176
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
No the Police have lost the Public's respect and support the only time that most people meet the Police is when they drive past a camera van or Gatso, when they do try and contact the Police about some thing like kids keying cars or house being broken into or kids riding round estates on stolen motor bikes at night with no lights/helmets etc the Police are to busy to attend resulting further in the impression that they are all out nicking people speeding by doing 33 in a 30.

Shame years ago it was different
if only you really knew what it was like on the otherside! I also would like to add that all the issues with gatsos and speed enforcement vans clocking granny and grandad on there days out at 33mph in a 30mph is outrageous! I think if you ask most PC's they would all agree that its out of order! Just remeber that its not just the everyday members of public who get done for these petty speeds, but they also prosecute the Police Officers too in work vehicles at 33mph! 9 times out of 10 the people manning these vans are actually not Police staff, they are employees of the local council, civies who follow the council guidelines on speed enforcement and not the Police Home office guidelines that the majority of Police forces and officers stick too! Police have that little thing called discretion, the safety camera partnership dont! As for the van on double yellows? well its already been said, you have no idea what those officers were doin at the time! That sort of parking is justified in most cases! As for the 2 x kebab boys on zigzags they deserve a £60 ticket and the 3 points attached to it! Thats sheer lazyness giving others a bad name! I would hazard a guess they would be straight in there if it was a member of the public parked there! " here you are sir £60 and 3 points oh and Mery Christmas I hope you enjoy your kebab!" Muppets!

Anyway ive said my bit rant over, but I do think those who make such comments should try and see it from the otherside!

Last edited by Bully3176; 17 December 2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 17 December 2005, 08:02 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

As for the 2 x kebab boys on zigzags they deserve a £60 ticket and the 3 points attached to it. YES I AGREE 2 KEBABS IS TWO MANY, NO WONDER THEY CANT RUN (FAT HEFFERS)
Old 17 December 2005, 08:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I think anyone who actually READ my post, rather than the title and first line, then dived for the keyboard, would have seen that I was quite ready to give benifit of doubt.

Hmmmmm. Wonder why this could be? Owt to do with so called "safety cameras" maybe? Or the fact that the police don't turn up for ages when needed, but there's always someone free to sit behind the camera/process the results/issue the fines/bank the money/take you to court if you dispute it? Witness my recent thread where my youngest was assaulted, and threatened with a knife, his girlfriend then got threatening text messages, and it took plod FIVE DAYS to respond And they STILL haven't got all statements, nor been to see the ******* that did it

Seriously, guy, I think you'll find that respect has to be earned, it isn't anyone's right!

And the old, old cry: "we don't believe in it, we're only obeying orders", cuts no ice with anyone with even HALF a brain

Alcazar
Old 17 December 2005, 09:23 PM
Bully3176
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I think anyone who actually READ my post, rather than the title and first line, then dived for the keyboard, would have seen that I was quite ready to give benifit of doubt.

Hmmmmm. Wonder why this could be? Owt to do with so called "safety cameras" maybe? Or the fact that the police don't turn up for ages when needed, but there's always someone free to sit behind the camera/process the results/issue the fines/bank the money/take you to court if you dispute it? Witness my recent thread where my youngest was assaulted, and threatened with a knife, his girlfriend then got threatening text messages, and it took plod FIVE DAYS to respond And they STILL haven't got all statements, nor been to see the ******* that did it

Seriously, guy, I think you'll find that respect has to be earned, it isn't anyone's right!

And the old, old cry: "we don't believe in it, we're only obeying orders", cuts no ice with anyone with even HALF a brain

Alcazar
like i said, if you worked on the other side I think youd be horrified with the lack of Police actually out there doing the job! And those people who process the films, collect the fines, take you to court are civies too! oh and im quite able to read thankyou, it wasnt a dig at you or your thread, if it had taken the Police 5 days to visit me in a simillar situation with one of my kids I would not be impressed either, infact I would be staright down the station and wanting to make a formal complaint! I agree you have every right to be dispondent with the Police as the service you have had in this case is very poor! My point is not all Police should be branded in the same way, I work hard and I do my upmost to perform and satisfy the public I serve!
Old 18 December 2005, 08:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

OK, guy. I just hope your username isn't indicative of your temperament as a P.O.? I've met a few bullies there, and seen even more on TV.

Alcazar
Old 18 December 2005, 08:46 AM
Bully3176
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
OK, guy. I just hope your username isn't indicative of your temperament as a P.O.? I've met a few bullies there, and seen even more on TV.

Alcazar
Its got alot to do with my surname not of my temperament
Old 18 December 2005, 11:04 AM
lil_kimmy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bully3176
Its got alot to do with my surname not of my temperament
dont believe him
Old 18 December 2005, 11:11 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Agree with your 'sentiments' fella, but if part of the force wern't jumped up little *** holes who think just cos they're wearing the uniform they can 'do as they please'...there would be lots more respect for the force in general.... its much the same with anything , tho'... the few 'spoil it' for the many.......
Old 18 December 2005, 11:48 AM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Saw a copper on his mobile phone while driving on Thursday.

Obviously this must have all been in the line of duty, he must have been telling a serial killer to hand him self in
Old 18 December 2005, 01:17 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
Agree with your 'sentiments' fella, but if part of the force wern't jumped up little *** holes who think just cos they're wearing the uniform they can 'do as they please'...there would be lots more respect for the force in general.... its much the same with anything , tho'... the few 'spoil it' for the many.......
My concern is that it is now the many who spoil it for the few and this seems to be supported by the recent study which indicated that the majority of able police officers were leaving, or had actually left. Now, it isn't their fault they are leaving as anyone looking at a company with high staff turnover will tell you that there must be bad management. However, it is the general public who now have to suffer from the "my ***** are made of steel and i'm in this uniform for an ego trip" police officer who appears to make up the majority of what is left or his dumb *** friend who seems to make up most of the rest.

There is no doubt that the speed cameras and the anti-motorist stance are becoming a problem just because this is the contact that a lot of people who are traditionally supporters of the police are having with the force. At 3 million tickets a year the police do themselves no favours, even if they may not be directly manning the camera vans etc. themselves. We also see on SN a lot of reports of motorists, who may have been exceeding the posted limit, being accused of made up speeds well in excess of the speed at which they were travelling. I have personally witnessed this and so have no doubts that it happens. Perhaps they have a competition for the fastest speed of the week? I can just see those on the ego trip down the station telling the story "and I had to drive at 357mph to catch him up, look at the size of my *****..."

On the other hand society does get the police force it deserves and there are not enough people standing up against the government when they try to erode our basic rights and when they try to force PC rubbish upon us all. The one thing the government don't want is a strong police force made up of intelligent and well motivated people. The following might give us some idea why:

Freedom of speech, anyone ?
Mark Steyn - THE SPECTATOR magazine
All over the United Kingdom, right now, real crimes are being
committed: mobiles are being nicked, front doors are being kicked in,
bollards are being lobbed through bus shelters - just to name some of
the lighter activities that add so much to the gaiety of the nation.
None of these is a "priority crime", as you'll know if you've ever
endured the bureaucratic time-waster of reporting a burglary.
So what is a "priority crime"? Well, the other day, the author Lynette
Burrows went on a BBC Five Live show to talk about the government's new
"civil partnerships" and expressed her opinion - politely, no
intemperate words - that the adoption of children by homosexuals was "a
risk". The following day, Fulham police contacted her to discuss the
"homophobic incident".
A Scotland Yard spokesperson told the
Telegraph's Sally Pook that its "standard policy" for "community safety
units" is to investigate "homophobic, racist and domestic incidents"
because these are all "priority crimes" - even though, in the case of
Mrs Burrows, there is (to be boringly legalistic about these things) no
crime, as even the zealots of the Yard concede. "It is all about
reassuring the community," said the very p.c.
Plod to the Telegraph. "All parties have been spoken to by the police.
No allegation of crime has been made. A report has been taken but is
now closed."
So no crime was committed. Yet Mrs Burrows was "investigated" and a
report about the "incident"
and her involvement in it is now on a government computer somewhere.

I think this highlights why many good officers might want to leave the force, they may not wish to spend their days investigating thought crimes, and the fact that we let it happen highlights why we are getting the police force we deserve.

The public must point out the failings in the current force, but we must also make our views known to our political representitives and we must put them under pressure for changes in the force. The police state isn't something that will benefit any of us and it is already here so I am sure that the few good apples left in the force will be more than willing to support any effort by the public to improve their position.