Any Fellow DJ's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2005, 02:21 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any Fellow DJ's out there?

Hi,
Pretty much as the title says really, although I'm talking about DJ's that beat mix and scratch, NOT your friendly wedding/disco DJ or radio DJ's. I'm wondering if people are interested in sharing there DJing experiences, styles, and musical preferences
I've been DJing for about 10 years now. Originally started with soundlab belt drive turntables and d mixer. Then I upgraded about a year later to Technics SL1210 MK2's with a Numark 1100xi mixer. Later changed my mixer to a Vestax PMC-05 Pro 2, but now I have Technics SL1210 MK5G's and a Pioneer DJM-909 scratch and effects mixer.
When I originally started DJing I was into Happy Hardcore, and shortly after also started playing Jungle and Drum 'n Bass.
In 1996 (I think) I got to the national DJ finals and played to a crowd of 1500-2000 ravers at the Pleasuredome in Skegness. The following year I was provisionally offered a regular spot at Club Vibealite in Chesterfield, a spin off from Vibealite. However, I was also offered a place at Chiropractic College (In Bournemouth) at the same time, and obviously thought it was a better career move to study chiropractic. Since then I've not done any gigs as such, just parties and college events.
Still love the "wheels of steel" and have now expanded my musical tastes to include Trance (both uplifting and Progressive), Hip Hop, and Oldskool (Late 80's-early nineties). Still love Drum 'N Bass and Happy Hardcore though (Sad but true) Have progressed quite nicely with my scratching over the past few years but still nowhere near as good as I'd like to be.
Anyway, I'd love to hear from other DJ's
P.S. If you're into scratching then I would seriously recommend DJ Qberts Scratch tutorial DVD “Qberts complete DIY scratching volume 1”. All I can say is Fantastic (shame the 2nd one’s not as good)
Old 14 December 2005, 02:39 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

I have been Dj/producing since 89 mainly jungle/d&B

love the technics dmc stuff although I have not entered in years.

"what is a dj if he can't scratch?"

XTC Nottingham

if you search on google you will find some of the remixes I have done.

just seen you can buy one of my old tracks from an mp3 site for 79p! Where is my cut?

Ads

Last edited by specialx; 14 December 2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 14 December 2005, 02:53 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specialx
I have been Dj/producing since 89 mainly jungle/d&B
I'd love to get into the whole production side of things. What's the best way of going about it?

What's your favourite Jungle/D 'n B track? Mine's got to be Some Justice '95 (Arsonist). Love the rolls and the Bass sound (me and my mates call it a "warp" sound).
Old 14 December 2005, 03:02 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

all the early Doc scott NHS dark stuff was great.

lets go etc

have not got one favourite, far to many to choose from!
Old 15 December 2005, 05:22 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

not quite sure why were not in "non scooby related" but anyway...

2x1210's + soundcraft 300.
house mainly just as hobby....
missed dmc finals this year. gonna go next year...
Old 15 December 2005, 05:25 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

give Mutts Nutts a pm he is in to dj' ing even has his own slot on some radio station
Old 15 December 2005, 06:52 PM
666pug
Scooby Regular

I'm getting some decks at xmas. 20 now so starting late really. Only getting sum cheap one's to start with, see how i get on!! Have had a go at mixing before, started to get the hang of it!! But we'll see how i get on!!!
Old 15 December 2005, 09:34 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

I've been into DJing for 10 years or so, used to do a lot of club work and even promoted my own nights, similar story to you you decided to concentrate on my career which has paid off, but I have always had decks at home though and have still played regularly in clubs up till recently. I play trance and progressive

check out my mixes on www.jonathanseal.co.uk thats my site, its turning out to be quite a hit, have 300gig a month coming off there most months!
Old 16 December 2005, 11:25 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Been DJ'ing since 1989. Started with 'Hardcore' (Kickin Records et al) and still buy plenty of DnB/Jungle now Dabble with making my own tunes a little too.

Was a ticket agent for World Dance plus used to sell merchandise. Got load of WD keyrings that I'm about to eBay, plus some WD wallets.
Old 16 December 2005, 11:38 AM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by meganesport.net
check out my mixes on www.jonathanseal.co.uk thats my site, its turning out to be quite a hit, have 300gig a month coming off there most months!
Just downloading your November 2005 mix - the tracklist looks .

I've been DJ'ing for a little over a year. Started with some cheap belt drive decks, and made the switch to CD with a pair of Pioneer CDJ-200's back in July. I've not had the time I'd like to focus on it, but I'm trying to free up a little next year.

I focus on progressive/uplifting trance, just as Jonathan.
Old 16 December 2005, 11:44 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Talking !

Hello fellow DJ's!

suprised Freak hasent been on here...! just start talking about downloading the latest house illegally and he'll be in here like a shot!!

(oh and freak where are my promo's!?!)

I started about 7 years ago, purely by accident really.. Mate of mine worked in a computer shop that decided to start selling DJ equipment, the business went bust and my mate bought some fairly crappy direct drive Soundlabs..

started having a mix round his every now and then, had always really been into my music, esp house, and this made it grow and grow. found mixing fairly hard at first, must be honest, as neither of us had a clue what we were doing, didnt know about the 4 beats, bars, anything!

found i was enjoying it so much i went out and bought some technic 1210's 2nd hand (which still work to this day!) and they came with loads of other bits like effects lights, smoke machine, lazer, strobe etc...

started doing the odd party for mates, house partys, work stuff.. then heard an advert for a DJ agency on the radio. worked with them for a while doing every possbile thing you could think of, bars, pubs, boats! (yes weddings included ) left that after a couple of years (as one of the top rated DJs out of the 30 or so on their books )

then got a residency at a Busy Bar in town, well known for its music, been there 2 1/2 years, done other bars clubs in the area. would prob do alot more if i wernt so lazy and actually put out some mix cd's or something!

Mainly into my funky house, lately been getting into the more dirty side of things. also love my 90's house too as thats where it all began for me!

Beat mixing i've got down (should hope so after 7 years!) , scratching is something i play with but i'm no pro by any means!

also into my production aswell, after working with quite a well known producer on a job, he showed me the basics.. will have to put some of it on limewire or something to get some feedback...

Wez
Old 16 December 2005, 10:33 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

I need to get my lazy *** sorted, lost my club redidency earlier this year when the guy sold up and new owners wanted funk djs. Wouldnt mind a bar job something regular, cant be arsed doing all the chasing about ans stuff for club work!
Old 17 December 2005, 06:08 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

I need to get my lazy *** sorted, lost my club redidency earlier this year when the guy sold up and new owners wanted funk djs. Wouldnt mind a bar job something regular, cant be arsed doing all the chasing about ans stuff for club work!
I'd try and get something sorted, mate, you've got the talent.

Very impressed with the mix I downloaded; loved the track selection.
Old 17 December 2005, 09:00 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

thanks m8 keep checking ou tthe site, I hass new stuff once a month roughly. Just put a new mix on there today
Old 17 December 2005, 10:22 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I've been into DJing for 10 years or so, used to do a lot of club work and even promoted my own nights, similar story to you you decided to concentrate on my career which has paid off, but I have always had decks at home though and have still played regularly in clubs up till recently. I play trance and progressive

Just downloaded http://www.jonathanseal.co.uk_Trance...ember_2005.mp3. Really good. Will be put on a CD and played in the car next week My kind of tunes. A knew a few of the clubs you played in - Paradise Factory especially. For the life of me I can't remember what the night was. But used to go quite a bit when I was at Manchester. Those were the days.