Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hi-Fi buffs...speaker advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2005, 10:22 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi-Fi buffs...speaker advice please...

I need a new set, as the driver on one of my trusty old mission 762's went pop over the weekend

So a couple of questions, I have a NAD 306 amp BTW....

What could I be expecting to pick up SH off ebay for about £200, and is this a wise move to buy speakers secondhand?

Or, a few years ago a mate of mine built some speakers from a kit...self assembly MDF cabinets etc, wire the drivers to the crossover etc....from memory, this kit that cost him about £200 would have cost him about £800 had he bought the equivalent off the shelf items.....from what I can recalll the drivers in the kit were the same ones as the off the shelf jobbies...does anybody know anything about this approach?

TIA
Old 12 December 2005, 10:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Try ringing up Mission and see if you can get a replacement driver...will be miles cheaper than another pair of speakers.

For drivers have a look here:

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/

Curretnlt I'm sifting through loads of schematics to find a suitable speaker to build myself, with the best driver.vs price options. It's somewhat more daunting than what I expected (mainly because I want BIG speakers ).
Old 12 December 2005, 10:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Contact Mission, they'll give you a dealer name who will replace the driver.

Alcazar
Old 12 December 2005, 11:20 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

If you prefer not to repair your Missions, don't bother buying any speaker you can't get a proper demo of first. A change in speakers will affect the overall sound of your system more than changing any other component, and rest assured that there are speakers you'll love and others you'll hate at any price point. I still love the sound of my old TDL Near Field Monitors, which were just £120 over ten years ago.
Old 12 December 2005, 11:48 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I suppose demo's would all be academic unless I took along my amp and my source, which at the moment is mostly my PC to blast MP3 out with....
Old 12 December 2005, 12:36 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

That's all fair, but I found when I first auditioned my trusty Kef Coda 7's was that they took about 24 hours of playing to truly bed in. Listening to a new set in the dealers was a fair bit different and although I love the sound now, at the time I realised there was a difference (mine were brand new, the ones in the dealer had been tried about 4 times, but were almost fresh)... it can make such a difference.

However, taking off the grills looks good, but when 14 month old finds the cones, they no longer look or indeed sound good. Thus will be interested in options, as I'll be up for a new set - with grills!

Andy
Old 12 December 2005, 01:31 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

The 'elegance' set from Ali's link look to be a good buy...£400ish as a full kit delivered....guy reckons that a comparable speaker with the same drivers would be around 1K..... he also says the 'vouge' sound virtually identical to a 2K speaker that shares the same components....that would be an interesting listen...

So in the meantime, while I mull it over, I bought a set of 702e's for buttons off ebay .....if I do decide to splash out on a decent set, I'll wire the 702's via a cheap surround sound amp as L&R's for the TV.

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2005, 02:22 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
I need a new set, as the driver on one of my trusty old mission 762's went pop over the weekend

So a couple of questions, I have a NAD 306 amp BTW....

What could I be expecting to pick up SH off ebay for about £200, and is this a wise move to buy speakers secondhand?

Or, a few years ago a mate of mine built some speakers from a kit...self assembly MDF cabinets etc, wire the drivers to the crossover etc....from memory, this kit that cost him about £200 would have cost him about £800 had he bought the equivalent off the shelf items.....from what I can recalll the drivers in the kit were the same ones as the off the shelf jobbies...does anybody know anything about this approach?

TIA

You could also try Wilmslow Audio (base in Leicester now). They sell high end speaker components and kits (inlcuding ATC!!!) and will probably be able to suggest a compatible unit.

When this happened to me it was my amp clipping (knanckered capacitor I think) make sure you wont be throwing money down the pan. I went through a fair few replacements before I realised.

I also took the opportunity to upgrade mine and was very happy with the result.

They really do know there stuff so got to be worth a phone call.

Dave
Old 12 December 2005, 05:27 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Do give Mission a call, I stripped the thread on a binding post and rang them to ask where I could buy some more. They sent me a new set of 4, free gratis.

You won't get a new driver for free but I reckon you'd get a good deal
Old 12 December 2005, 05:46 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I have already bought a new set of cheap ****ters to keep me going....I might give them a tinkle, if I can get one for peanuts I will....

Northdave...

I dont think its a prob with the amp, as I have a set of bookshelf speakers wired in aswell, and they are fine.....whats clipping anyway?
Old 12 December 2005, 06:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by NorthDave
You could also try Wilmslow Audio (base in Leicester now). They sell high end speaker components and kits (inlcuding ATC!!!) and will probably be able to suggest a compatible unit.

Am I invisible or something??

Cheeky tip...go to some of teh speaker maufacturers (such as Seas or Mocal) - they print the schematics for some speaker cabinet designs for free online...just add wood, jigsaw, glue, corssovers and some drivers
Old 12 December 2005, 06:15 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Firstly I'd agree with everyone who has said to contact Mission as they are usually very good.

Or as you like the 762's then I'd look for some 73* or 75* series floorstanders on ebay. The 734i's are superb and very similar sounding to the 762's, the i models have a sweeter sounding soft dome tweeter. They usually go for around £100-£130
Or move up a level and try and bag some 753's.

After the 75*series came the 78*series but they fetch good money on ebay.

The 73* series was replaced by the 70* which were in your face large units and the 77*'s which were much more tighter and restrained. Since then the Mission range has expanded with different "M" models which really need auditioning to see if they come up to the high build quality and Mission sound of old.

Cheers
Lee
Old 12 December 2005, 06:43 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I can't say I'm particlarly looking to replace the 762's sondwise...I just want a new set. As long as they rattle the double glazing, and annoy the neighbours, and annoy the old bid next door, I'm happy

As it is, I have a 762 and a 761i per channel, with the 761's switched in as extras, the smaller speakers are on top of the larger, with some basic isolation inbetween. The L&R are about 9ft afart, virtually facing each other, and I sit (here) in the middle, like said before, most of the stuff is MP3's from the PC....

i pick the 702e's up in the morning, I'm interested to soo how they go...for what they cost I might even fix the 761's on top and seee how they go..

Last edited by Chip Sengravy; 12 December 2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12 December 2005, 07:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
That's all fair, but I found when I first auditioned my trusty Kef Coda 7's was that they took about 24 hours of playing to truly bed in. Listening to a new set in the dealers was a fair bit different and although I love the sound now, at the time I realised there was a difference (mine were brand new, the ones in the dealer had been tried about 4 times, but were almost fresh)... it can make such a difference.

However, taking off the grills looks good, but when 14 month old finds the cones, they no longer look or indeed sound good. Thus will be interested in options, as I'll be up for a new set - with grills!

Andy
Tannoy D,c,s

have withstood 2 nippers!!!

centre speaker hasnt though!!

i do have a method for getting them back out though if your brave enought!!

Mart
Old 12 December 2005, 07:12 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by mart360

i do have a method for getting them back out though if your brave enought!!
pinhead & superglue at a guess?
Old 12 December 2005, 07:42 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

pinhead & superglue at a guess?
not heard that one before

biro & bluetack.. depends on the stiffnes of the cone though

Mart
Old 12 December 2005, 10:05 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Hoover with a cloth on the end
Old 12 December 2005, 10:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I always used sellotape
Old 12 December 2005, 10:52 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I thought the centre (apart from tweeters) was just a dust-dome and not involved with sound reproduction at all.
Old 12 December 2005, 10:56 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are Rega EL8's any good, I have a set in the loft gathering dust as wife will not let me have speakers everywhere, pah, why would anyone need more than one speaker !
Old 12 December 2005, 11:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I thought the centre (apart from tweeters) was just a dust-dome and not involved with sound reproduction at all.

I'm sure Tel will tell you that he can hear a distinct colouration of the sound with dented domes

I just pop 'em because it looks crap
Old 12 December 2005, 11:13 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Are Rega EL8's any good, I have a set in the loft gathering dust as wife will not let me have speakers everywhere, pah, why would anyone need more than one speaker !
Yup, well liked by some reviewers in their time.
Um, why would anyone need more than, say, 4 pairs of shoes?
You in mono then?
Old 12 December 2005, 11:15 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Unless it's a phase plug and then no dust cap. So keep iron filings away!
Old 12 December 2005, 11:29 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

As long as they rattle the double glazing, and annoy the neighbours, and annoy the old bid next door, I'm happy
If that's you whole aim in life, you can't beat some of the Cerwin Vega floor standers. Decent power handling, immense sensitivity (I did try one pair at 103db/W at 1m) = high volume levels with moderate amplifiers. Some of them have surprisingly competitive sound quality too.

However, I'd normally advise listening to what you're buying - if you don't, then go with more Missions (per advice above); otherwise it's unlikely to blend well with your other Mission speakers
Old 14 December 2005, 11:27 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Have just rung mission....drive units for the 762's are no longer available, no alternative replacemets due to the chassis shape of the drivers, and a re-cone is 30 quid a driver and they have both gone now.

So its off to the Tip they go!
Old 14 December 2005, 06:03 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Look for a second hand set of Linn Keilidh's on ebay..Lovely floorstander and coming in quite cheap now..
Old 14 December 2005, 06:40 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Cheers Fatscoob, they ssem to go for 200ish....what were they new?

here's another quick Q...

there are some ridgid links in the back of my NAD 306 integrated amp...If I wanted a bit moore oomph to drive a bigger set of speakers, can I convert my amp into a pre amp ( by removing the links ), and get a power amp?
Old 14 December 2005, 08:22 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure you can do this with your NAD amp,although as long as you buy a average to sensitive speaker there will be no need i reckon..
Think the Keilidhs were around £850-£1000,depending on finish and when you bought them..
Avoid the black ash finish,cherry wood is my personal fave..Make sure you get the Ku-stone stands with the Keilidhs if you decide to buy..BTW...Keilidhs and your old missions are a world apart...
Old 14 December 2005, 09:14 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Cheers Fatscoob, they ssem to go for 200ish....what were they new?

here's another quick Q...

there are some ridgid links in the back of my NAD 306 integrated amp...If I wanted a bit moore oomph to drive a bigger set of speakers, can I convert my amp into a pre amp ( by removing the links ), and get a power amp?
Here's a quick A...

Yes.

I did just that many years and 2 amp upgrades ago with my old NAD 3020i, worked fine.