Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2005, 11:10 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Dump the Hump

http://www.dumpthehump.net

yeah, someones got the right idea!

am sick of my motor getting smahed up underneath due to speed mountains.
Old 08 December 2005, 11:14 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

wow nice humps!
Old 08 December 2005, 11:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Anyone notice with certain cars it's actually more comfortable to travel over certain humps faster rather than slower?

There's a few by me which you can fly over them at 40mph in more relative comfort than the suggested 20mph in most cars

Many times has a chav in his lowered sh1tbox with naff splitters/bodykit has been up my **** goading me for a race...come to the speed bumps, and I leave them for dead
Old 08 December 2005, 11:29 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Tcha, and I thought this thread was something to do with Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas
Old 08 December 2005, 11:36 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

what gets me is the rumble strips. theyre supposed to make you be aware of your speed and slow down. but if you over them at more than the speed limit, the faster you go, the more comfortable it is!
Old 08 December 2005, 12:25 PM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

Oversized speed humps shouldnt exist as they should all conform to The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1996.

I personally think that they serve quite a good purpose in the right areas such as outside schools etc.

Take where I live for example, on a faily narrow street with a primary school and post office. Where you get young kids and OAP's alike crossing the road.
Unfortunately there is a WRX driver who enjoys getting his car up to 3rd as fast as possible before the end of the road after coming out of a side street (he has about 4-500yds to do so)
The Local Council are now considering speed humps to slow the traffic down on the street, and tbh if it stops this eejit from blasting past my window with his jap exhaust roaring and his d/v hissing away im all for it.

They can be a pain and damage cars but more often than not its people hitting them at speed that causes the damage.
Old 08 December 2005, 12:29 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lawson101
Oversized speed humps shouldnt exist as they should all conform to The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1996.

I personally think that they serve quite a good purpose in the right areas such as outside schools etc.

Take where I live for example, on a faily narrow street with a primary school and post office. Where you get young kids and OAP's alike crossing the road.
Unfortunately there is a WRX driver who enjoys getting his car up to 3rd as fast as possible before the end of the road after coming out of a side street (he has about 4-500yds to do so)
The Local Council are now considering speed humps to slow the traffic down on the street, and tbh if it stops this eejit from blasting past my window with his jap exhaust roaring and his d/v hissing away im all for it.

They can be a pain and damage cars but more often than not its people hitting them at speed that causes the damage.
They can kill people as well if they delay emergency services. Hard speed bumps are to be discouraged. Inflatible speed / time of day operated ones with ES overrides, while expensive are far better.
Old 08 December 2005, 12:33 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

that sophie howard has a lovely pair of airbags
Old 08 December 2005, 12:56 PM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
They can kill people as well if they delay emergency services.
True, I wouldt like to be in an ambulance being rushed somewhere with a few speed humps to get over.

The partial width humps seem ok, you know the ones that have a smallish hump on each carriageway. Can be driven round but you still need to adjust your speed to something reasonable.
Also emrg. serv. can drive through the gaps, if theres enough space.
Old 08 December 2005, 01:19 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Try living near one, and see how long you last before the sound (and smell) of lorries slowing down, crashing over them, then accelerating away drives you up the wall
Old 08 December 2005, 01:21 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Anyone notice with certain cars it's actually more comfortable to travel over certain humps faster rather than slower?

Benz E Class estates for instance
Old 08 December 2005, 01:21 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Try living near one, and see how long you last before the sound (and smell) of lorries slowing down, crashing over them, then accelerating away drives you up the wall
IIRC some guy took a JCB to the one outside hi house and flattened it back out again.

ETA: Yup, thought so - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/3157822.stm

Last edited by OllyK; 08 December 2005 at 01:23 PM. Reason: To add url
Old 08 December 2005, 01:25 PM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Residential area so not so much of a problem in my street mate. I see your point tho.
Old 08 December 2005, 03:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Speed humps do cause long term damage to a car and its chassis and suspension, regardless of how slowly you drive over them.

I still think that a highly visible and well signed speedcam put near school crossings or anywhere else where there are elderly or disabled people would be the best deterrent to dangerous speeding in these areas.

It is surprising how well those radar operated signs which light up if you are speeding slow people down as well. We have quite a few around here and they do the business very efficiently.

Les
Old 08 December 2005, 05:32 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

The radar operated slow down signs are great except that a few counties have gone with ones that simply light up on the presence of a vehicle, regardless of speed. I had one go off while stuck behind a milk float.

Now I just ignore them, thank you Warwickshire and Oxfordshire councils.

Speed humps cause me to speed up to 33mph as this is the best speed for minimising back pain in my Legacy and cameras outside schools will probaly make all the children ill due to prolonged exposure to radar, unless they go with Truvelos or SPECS or something.

How about actually having some traffic police doing the rounds and pulling over the idiots?
Old 08 December 2005, 07:11 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

How about actually having some traffic police doing the rounds and pulling over the idiots?

Well said that man
Old 08 December 2005, 07:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

There's a few by me which you can fly over them at 40mph in more relative comfort than the suggested 20mph in most cars

Many times has a chav in his lowered sh1tbox with naff splitters/bodykit has been up my **** goading me for a race...come to the speed bumps, and I leave them for dead
You really hate your Impreza dont you? You must have loved it dearly to hate it so now.....

Old 08 December 2005, 09:08 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

"I'd have had him in the bumpies"?
Old 09 December 2005, 01:26 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by GC8
You really hate your Impreza dont you? You must have loved it dearly to hate it so now.....

LOL I really did want to love the car, but it just isn't good enough to deserve it.
Old 11 December 2005, 08:25 PM
liedetector
Scooby Newbie

Humps save lives.
Old 11 December 2005, 08:35 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True, I wouldt like to be in an ambulance being rushed somewhere with a few speed humps to get over.

The partial width humps seem ok, you know the ones that have a smallish hump on each carriageway. Can be driven round but you still need to adjust your speed to something reasonable.
Also emrg. serv. can drive through the gaps, if theres enough space.
But thats the thing, Emergency Vehicles CAN'T!
Old 11 December 2005, 09:57 PM
liedetector
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby
But thats the thing, Emergency Vehicles CAN'T!
The main cause of delay to ambulances and fire engines is congestion. So if in that respect road humps cause deaths - which is a myth anyway with no evidence to support it - then congestion causes even more. But who is to blame for the road humps being there in the first place anyway? The speedfreaks of course!
Old 11 December 2005, 10:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

If you ever watch any Police chases on TV, you'll notice it doesn't slow down the Police cars
Old 11 December 2005, 10:07 PM
liedetector
Scooby Newbie

And one more thing. At least ambulances aren't having to attend nearly so many 'accidents' anymore in areas where road humps have been installed, precisely because of the humps of course.
Old 12 December 2005, 12:11 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/3108405.stm
Old 12 December 2005, 01:26 AM
liedetector
Scooby Newbie

Is this supposed to have some relevance to what I said earlier?
Old 12 December 2005, 05:18 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

no, just showing that modding ambulances for them costs a lot of money and stop people getting urgent medical attention if they need it in an area surrounded by speed humps.
Old 12 December 2005, 08:08 PM
liedetector
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Poor Guy
no, just showing that modding ambulances for them costs a lot of money and stop people getting urgent medical attention if they need it in an area surrounded by speed humps.
And whose fault was that?
Old 12 December 2005, 11:00 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

the council for putting them in