Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay advice???

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2005, 09:29 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ebay advice???

I sold a BMW CD changer interface, which enables connection between a Sony CD changer and standard BMW head unit, on ebay. I then also sold through private negotiation a sony CD changer that works with the interface. The unit was working perfectly when i removed it and packed it up. The buyer recieved it at the weekend and is now saying that the CD changer will not eject the cartridge and is asking for a refund.

The unit was working with no problems when i removed it, and as far as i know, he may have knackered it up himself when he installed it?? So should i refund him and be the one left out of pocket???
Old 05 December 2005, 09:31 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Oh and just to bug me more, he has started getting really arsey with me for not answering an email he sent after 5pm to my work address (although i wasn't there), although i had emailed him 4 times during the day and not recieved a thing!
Old 05 December 2005, 09:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Simply ask him to send it back to you and check it out yourself. If it works then tell him he can either have it back or you keep it and refund him, leave negative feedback, then relist it.

If it is faulty then as you can't prove it might have been him that broke it, you will just have to refund him and put it down to experience.

Either way you need it back before you do anything!
Old 05 December 2005, 09:36 PM
white scooby
Scooby Senior

Has the buyer indicated that the unit worked at all?

How did he pay?

I had a similar problem with a Pioneer DVD player I sold. I knew it worked fine, and the buyer claimed it did'nt work a week later . . lucky for me he never said a word after that! Although speaking to friends for advice on the situation they recommended I refund him . . depends how much cash your talking I suppose!
Old 05 December 2005, 09:48 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I have had this quite a few times in the past.

Every time, I have contacted them and said if they send it back and I find it faulty, I will refund them. If I find it works ok, I will return it to them once they have paid all postage costs.

To me this seems like a fair proposal, and not once has anyone ever sent anything back. I assume they have just been trying it on.

One thing to bear in mind is that CD changer transport mechanisms dont like being jiggled about too much, ie in the posties van, without the original transit screws they usually have to stop movement in transit.
Old 05 December 2005, 10:04 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

He is sending it me back so i can check it over myself.
Old 05 December 2005, 10:12 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
He is sending it me back so i can check it over myself.
Are we taking odds on him actually doing it? Insist it's by recorded delivery otherwise he'll claim he has if he hasn't.

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2005, 10:34 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

The bloke is being a tw@t!! I said and i quote
"If the unit works, i will return it to you, otherwise i will give you a
refund. I will let you know when i have the unit"

He then replied:-

"I take offence to that I am not stupid I have tried the unit and it does not
work, I am standing the cost of returning it and I will not accept it back.

It will be sent tomorrow"

I have been nothing but helpful and polite and he has been agressive and rude throughout, i'm close to telling it to shove it where the sun don't shine! Tw@t!
Old 05 December 2005, 10:37 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

oh, and now he's being polite and nice as i hinted that i may not refund him after that last out burst!!
Old 05 December 2005, 10:56 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Well 2 sides to every story. I recently bought a expensive pioneer CD player of ebay and when arrived was badly packaged. But in fairness no damage visable and all looked well on outside and item and contents as described. It has euro block connection as standard on loom and i have subaru to euro block harness on my car so direct plug in with power off. Anyway when put ignition on radio lit up perfect but NO SOUND!! Suspected internal amp blown sounded to me. So sent seller email and i got back the usual worked fine when i sent it crap. Now i know it didn't. Also seller was rude and when i won item sent 3x emails during day after invoice and on third going on about non paying ebayers he will report. Even though i do be on road all day and only near a PC after work so not as if i coulda sorted out payment. Imean you give buyers a couple days. He hadn't even givin 12 hours. Anyway point is anyone can sell a broken item with the it worked when i sent it buzz. Now i'm not saying yours didn't as it could have been damaged in post. But then it throws up the possibility that both of you's are not lying????????????
Old 05 December 2005, 11:11 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Ive had this- tell them to send it back and if it is faulty, you will refund the cost-minus the postage.

Ive never had anything returned once ive said that, and never had negative feedback either.Funny that........

Make sure he sends it special ideally or recorded.

How did you post it to him originally? Was it insured for damage?
Old 05 December 2005, 11:18 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

It was only covered up to £45 i think, but it was only £79 in total,, so i won't be toatlly out of pocket, just annoyed as i've spent the cash on an MP3 changer already!
Old 06 December 2005, 11:10 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Be very careful when it comes back to check its the same one you sent out - anything electrical etc... I always make a note of any serial numbers, photograph any marks, or mark it myself somewhere discreet ( just a couple of dots ) with a UV pen.

Quite a common scam that people with a broken item find the same thing on Ebay, buy it, then claim its knackered when they get it - send their old one back, get a refund and they've had a free replacement.

Had it myself a while ago when I sold some PC memory that had been working fine in my PC for months, buyer claimed it was knackered and returned it for me to test and it had mysteriously changed brand on the way back.

Told him it wasnt the one I sold him, and if he wanted the faulty one back to send me the postage costs - never heard from him again.
Old 06 December 2005, 11:25 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Be very careful when it comes back to check its the same one you sent out - anything electrical etc... I always make a note of any serial numbers, photograph any marks, or mark it myself somewhere discreet ( just a couple of dots ) with a UV pen.

Quite a common scam that people with a broken item find the same thing on Ebay, buy it, then claim its knackered when they get it - send their old one back, get a refund and they've had a free replacement.

Had it myself a while ago when I sold some PC memory that had been working fine in my PC for months, buyer claimed it was knackered and returned it for me to test and it had mysteriously changed brand on the way back.

Told him it wasnt the one I sold him, and if he wanted the faulty one back to send me the postage costs - never heard from him again.
Exactly what I was going to post - glad someone else is clued up to this.

chop
Old 06 December 2005, 01:29 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Never thought of that!!! I have no idea what the serial number was! The guy has 100% feedback of 700ish, mainly as a seller, so doubt he is trying it on now.
Old 06 December 2005, 02:22 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
If it is faulty then as you can't prove it might have been him that broke it, you will just have to refund him and put it down to experience.
is the OP a business or an individual? As far as I was aware with private sales its "Normally Buyer Beware" ??? (but i might be wrong)

I can almost gurantee that the buyer has swapped, damaged or tried it and decided its not compatable, tell him to stick it back on ebay if he doesnt want it.
Old 06 December 2005, 02:48 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

i've read a similar comment from you in the past mike. noting serial numbers/marks etc is very good advice and wouldn't necessarily be obvious to someone unless they had some experience of this type of thing
Old 06 December 2005, 05:13 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

TBH, it wouldnt have occurred to me straight off except someone I know was caught out and he hadnt made a note, but was sure the item that had been returned ( a pretty expensive multimeter ) wasnt the same one he had sent.

Apparently its also pretty rife with games and CD's where people claim they are scratched when they arrive and swap them over.
Old 06 December 2005, 10:03 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Whenever you sell something you need to write in the descriptions box a disclaimer of your choice. The winner is entering a legal binding contract and your disclaimer covers you against what you are experiencing. I have the following,

All items are sold as seen, no refunds, no returns, please read item description, all items are clearly listed as new or used and described in as much detail as possible.

Or if you want to be a bit more lieniant you can say something like refunds/returns must be made within 7days of auction ending via email.

So if you ever get someone trying it on again you just remind them of what your advert says, i have never had any problems with this.
Old 06 December 2005, 11:04 PM
Her at the back
Scooby Regular

I have an ebay store and offer exchange/refund on most items but also sell items as SOLD AS SEEN. You do not have to refund postage for sending or having items returned. You can report this person to ebay if you feel he has sent you rude/nasty/abusive messages and you can also use squaretrade who will mediate between you and buyer.
Sheck out the section "Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described Process"
Old 07 December 2005, 11:44 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Her at the back
I have an ebay store and offer exchange/refund on most items but also sell items as SOLD AS SEEN. You do not have to refund postage for sending or having items returned. You can report this person to ebay if you feel he has sent you rude/nasty/abusive messages and you can also use squaretrade who will mediate between you and buyer.
Sheck out the section "Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described Process"
If you have an eBay store then one would assume you are a trader, therefore all you items on that one account would be subject to the distance selling regs meaning refunds have to be given even if the customer changes their mind about the purchase after receiving the goods. You need to provide consumers with a period of seven working days in which the consumer can cancel the contract (The "cooling off" period).

Sold as seen will not wash legally.
Old 07 December 2005, 11:47 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

... but you'd be surprised how many traders on Ebay either dont realise what their legal obligations are re the DSR, or think that their terms and conditions overrule the law !
Old 07 December 2005, 11:50 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

... but you'd be surprised how many traders on Ebay either dont realise what their legal obligations are re the DSR, or think that their terms and conditions overrule the law !
Mike, I wouldn't. It's rife and it's not getting better.