Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do home cinema kits exist with a hi-def DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2005, 12:22 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do home cinema kits exist with a hi-def DVD?

Have just bought a new big HD LCD TV but want both a good home cinema speaker set and a hi-def DVD player to make the most of it.

Was hoping I could get both in one package. If not I'm guessing I'll need to piece together separate HD DVD player, separate amp & separate surround speakers. Is that right? Or are there other ways of doing this
Old 28 November 2005, 12:36 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll always compromise something with an all-in-one package, but it depends how much you want to spend £500, £1000, £2000+
Old 28 November 2005, 12:37 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

I didnt think that the HD DVD players are available yet. As far as I am aware they are a completely different format but will play standard DVD's.

I wouldnt bother getting a HD DVD yet (if you can) as the prices will be HUGE and they will only be first gen so lots of bugs probably. Give it a couple of years...!!
Old 28 November 2005, 12:39 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Then again I may be wrong: http://www.neodigits.com/body/produc...85/feature.asp
Old 28 November 2005, 12:43 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Yes the HD DVD players are available, I was looking at a couple at the weekend around the £100 mark. I don't want to spend much on the whole kit TBH, looking at sub-500 squid for a complete HD-compatible cinema kit.
Old 28 November 2005, 12:56 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Careful with the specs, the Neodigits machine is NOT an HD-DVD player, and the films offered on the site are not HD-DVDs. If you read it in detail, nowhere does it say HD-DVD; the player upscales regular DVDs (which may look pretty good, but it's not true high definition). The HD movies look like they're a non-standard derivative of DVD storing images at a higher resolution, not the physically different HD-DVD disc. I suspect the movies are split over multiple discs to provide enough storage.
Old 28 November 2005, 01:22 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blip
Yes the HD DVD players are available, I was looking at a couple at the weekend around the £100 mark. I don't want to spend much on the whole kit TBH, looking at sub-500 squid for a complete HD-compatible cinema kit.
Blip,
With respect you arent going to get an HD-DVD player for £100.

Just buy a Home Cine set up with Progressive scan and good connectivity and youll be fine.

Or take a look at www.avforums.co.uk for more info

Chip
Old 28 November 2005, 01:49 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Blip,
With respect you arent going to get an HD-DVD player for £100.

Just buy a Home Cine set up with Progressive scan and good connectivity and youll be fine.

Or take a look at www.avforums.co.uk for more info

Chip
Yeah now you say that I think the DVD player I looked at must have been progressive scan, but had an HDMI connector. The guy said that the results from standard DVDs are very impressive even though it uses upscaling.
Old 28 November 2005, 01:56 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Also be aware that HD-DVD isn't even guaranteed to be adopted yet - Blu-Ray is probably the way everything's going to go. Although HD-DVD has Microsoft as one of it's keey stakeholders, Blu-Ray is the format used by the PS3 and - by default - is likely to become the most popular HD DVD player on the planet.

There is no prerecorded HD material available yet - the closest you can get is from the SeibenSAT1 broadcasts (and the few other foreign HD broadcasts) or by making your own using something like a Sony HDR-HC1 HDV camera (just think - your own 'home movies' in true 720p or 1080i!)