Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pissed off at Daily Mail Re: Richard Burns.

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2005, 08:26 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Pissed off at Daily Mail Re: Richard Burns.

There is something not right here.
George best gets 6 pages of gushing eulogy and Richard Burns gets 1 column, 5 pages in from the back of the paper and I estimate no more than 500 words.
I wouldnt mind, but what is on the back pages?
Chelsea face "Cash" Probe
Jesus H. Christ.
Most on here know my feelings toward this rag, but nothing has incensed me more than this.
Mods, feel free to lock or delete this if it offends, but I needed to rant so I'm going to do it.
Anyone care to join me?
letters@mailonsunday.co.uk
astraboy.
Old 27 November 2005, 09:02 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

news of the world the same...

best gets pages of mindnumbin drivel, most of which has been spouted every time he had any form of hospital check up...

richard gets a quater of a page approx..

not a hapy bunny either

Mart
Old 27 November 2005, 09:08 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by astraboy
There is something not right here.
George best gets 6 pages of gushing eulogy and Richard Burns gets 1 column, 5 pages in from the back of the paper and I estimate no more than 500 words.
I wouldnt mind, but what is on the back pages?

Jesus H. Christ.
Most on here know my feelings toward this rag, but nothing has incensed me more than this.
Mods, feel free to lock or delete this if it offends, but I needed to rant so I'm going to do it.
Anyone care to join me?
letters@mailonsunday.co.uk
astraboy.
errr, whats the biggest sport in the country?? How many people CARE RB is dead??? It's not rude, nor is it insensitive. Simple as it sounds more people care that chelsea has issues than a really driver has died (more DM readers anyway). It's simple journalism.
Old 27 November 2005, 09:10 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just searched through the mail too and was shocked that it was so far from the back page and such a short article I'm sure that this should have been back page stuff but it clearly wasn't
Old 27 November 2005, 09:13 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

the express is the same a very small box, at least the new of the world had a full page, with pictures. that was my point in my thread yesterday that got vaped. richard burns was a world champion, and was still competing at the top of his field when became ill, and could probaly become world champion again. george best drank him self to death, not so long ago the same papers were slating him, why the sudden turnaround

mike
Old 27 November 2005, 09:24 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I noticed this too in the news of the screws (sorry world!) a
Not wanting to speak ill of the dead but 6 months or so ago they where having a go at George Best for been a wife beater etc and today 6 page spread ! And approx 1/4 page on the very tragic death of Richard Burns a British motoring star !
Shows that tend to care more for footbal than motorsport !
Richard
Old 27 November 2005, 09:43 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

GB was FAR more famous (and idolised/respected as a footballer) than RB was. RB was a great driver but simply wasn't as well known so won't get the column inches. Simple. Anyway, RB got more column inches than my Gran when she died, is that not 'right' either?

The guys are dead, people will have their own feelings about it. Who cares about column inches?
Old 27 November 2005, 09:46 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

its not the size of the column inches, its the over exposure that george best is still getting
Old 27 November 2005, 09:49 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Don't buy the papers then.
Old 27 November 2005, 09:52 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

To quote the Jam "The public gets what the public wants".

So don't buy the papers and write in to complain if you have to. Moaning on SN or to your mates etc. won't change anything. Yes, there is overexposure but I don't really care and it's not hard to ignore it.
Old 27 November 2005, 09:56 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its shame that a Drunken, Wife Beater like Best totally overshadows a true world sporting hero like Burns!

If Joe Blogs was a Drunken Wife Beater, it would be 'Good Riddance!'
Old 27 November 2005, 10:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Ace
Old 27 November 2005, 10:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

talk about cashing in!!

went to the carboot today, one punter had a george best paerback on his stall

asking price £5.00

i wouldnt have given him 5p let alone £5

Mart
Old 28 November 2005, 12:02 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wait a moment people! George Best was the most amazing footballer ever, and football is the best sport in the world and cannot be beaten, so we all have to bow down when the best of the best dies! Sorry, did the sarcasm overspill there?

Let's see, a young, brilliant rally driver dies from a non self inflicted illness, and has small press coverage, but when a boozy, woman beating ex-footballer, who died due to an infection sustained due to lowered immunity caused by drugs to prevent rejection of an organ that was destroyed by themselves, dies, there's a national outporing on grief. Somewhat unfair I think.

Some may have noticed I've not spoken badly of Richard Burns, but have done so of George Best, on the day they died. Maybe it has something to do with having a little more respect for one than the other.
Old 28 November 2005, 12:14 AM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

exactly markus
Old 28 November 2005, 12:51 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

You've managed to hit the nail on the head with your first paragraph.

Football is by far the most popular sport in britain, George Best is most likely the most talented footballer britain has ever had. He was the first superstar of football and raised the profile of it therefore he is more famous than Richard Burns and rallying. It follows then that more is written about Best than Burns.

Richards death is more tragic, he died younger and from something not self inflicted. Someone I know lost a child on the day of their birth in the last 6 months, no column inches were devoted to that yet it was more tragic than both Richard and Georges deaths. This is simply because not enough people were interested.

Anyone wondering why Richard Burns got less press coverage obviously isn't thinking logically, I'm not saying its right or wrong, but it is logical.
Old 28 November 2005, 12:59 AM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by Richard_P
You've managed to hit the nail on the head with your first paragraph.

Football is by far the most popular sport in britain, George Best is most likely the most talented footballer britain has ever had. He was the first superstar of football and raised the profile of it therefore he is more famous than Richard Burns and rallying. It follows then that more is written about Best than Burns.

Richards death is more tragic, he died younger and from something not self inflicted. Someone I know lost a child on the day of their birth in the last 6 months, no column inches were devoted to that yet it was more tragic than both Richard and Georges deaths. This is simply because not enough people were interested.

Anyone wondering why Richard Burns got less press coverage obviously isn't thinking logically, I'm not saying its right or wrong, but it is logical.
It's nice to know in this murky sea of stupidity there is some hope.

...and PaulPalmer if this has 'shocked' you then you really have no hope I'm afraid.
Old 28 November 2005, 01:37 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

if Billy Smith (world tiddly winks champ) had died...that wouldnt make the papers either. RB wasnt very famous....in fact, i expect joe bloggs wouldnt even know who the bloke was - its Rally, not F1 - i like my cars but couldnt name a single rally driver competing this year (in fact, apart from RB and mcrae.....i cant think of any!

T

ps- just though...makenan (sp?)...only know him because of the evo 6!
Old 28 November 2005, 06:44 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

SIAL
Old 28 November 2005, 08:28 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I caught the end of channel 4 news yesterday where they had to give an apology on their previous Richard Burns story for "several factual errors in their report and showing the wrong picture". Jeez what are these people paid for?
Old 28 November 2005, 09:20 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Im with Tiggs, its simply down to the fact that there isnt many people interested.... I spoke to a couple of friends yesterday and told them RBs died the response from both of them was "who" and theyre both well into their cars and even attended a couple of rallies, OK the knew instantly when I said the rally driver it clicked but it says alot in the sence that if these guys didnt know the average joe wouldnt know. doubt my parents would know but they'd both know about Best....
Old 28 November 2005, 10:11 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
if Billy Smith (world tiddly winks champ) had died...that wouldnt make the papers either. RB wasnt very famous....in fact, i expect joe bloggs wouldnt even know who the bloke was - its Rally, not F1 - i like my cars but couldnt name a single rally driver competing this year (in fact, apart from RB and mcrae.....i cant think of any!
If 6 months ago you'd ask a bunch of schoolkids who both George Best and Richard Burns were te majority would have known Burnsey but not Best.

Best was known by a few generations but was more infamous to most for his drinking rather than his football.

Chip
Old 28 November 2005, 10:16 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Who cares? Get over it. [Edit: about column space, not about the deaths]

Millions of people die every year, many have faced much harder lives than these two, kids born with disabilities, heart defects and cancer have never had a chance in life.

The reality is outside of this polarised angle of the world, rallying is not the most popular sport.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 28 November 2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 28 November 2005, 10:17 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I never knew RB, but from what I gather he, and his family, were rather private people. In some ways George Bests death has meant that they will have little or no media spotlight and they will be able to grieve in peace. When dealing with the death of a close loved one I can imagine nothing worse than having the media in full attendance.

Two families have lost their fathers - that's tragic however they died.
Old 28 November 2005, 10:47 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Football is just a bunch of overpaid neanderthal feckwits that can only just string a sentence together, let alone all the drugs, drinking and goings on in hotel rooms with girls, just because I'm a "big" footballer!!!

How many Rally drivers have been up in front of the courts for rape, drink fueled rages and drugs charges ???

Of course football is the greatest sport in the world :roleyes: It also attracts a lot of asshalfs!! You don't see mass punch up at rallies and motor sport venues, do you ?

That liver that went in to Best could have gone to someone more deserving, perhaps someone in your family, not some waste of space, self induced alcoholic

Lets all support the wife beating, drug taking alcoholic

RIP Burnsy

Wait a moment people! George Best was the most amazing footballer ever, and football is the best sport in the world and cannot be beaten, so we all have to bow down when the best of the best dies! Sorry, did the sarcasm overspill there?

Let's see, a young, brilliant rally driver dies from a non self inflicted illness, and has small press coverage, but when a boozy, woman beating ex-footballer, who died due to an infection sustained due to lowered immunity caused by drugs to prevent rejection of an organ that was destroyed by themselves, dies, there's a national outporing on grief. Somewhat unfair I think.

Some may have noticed I've not spoken badly of Richard Burns, but have done so of George Best, on the day they died. Maybe it has something to do with having a little more respect for one than the other.
Here Here Well said Markus
Old 28 November 2005, 10:49 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Please, only commenst on alcoholics, if you yourself are/was one, or have had to deal with a close family member who is one.

I don't care what people say about Best as a person. But comments made about alcoholism are very ill thought out and extremely ignorant
Old 28 November 2005, 11:20 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Huxley
Football is just a bunch of overpaid neanderthal feckwits that can only just string a sentence together, let alone all the drugs, drinking and goings on in hotel rooms with girls, just because I'm a "big" footballer!!!

How many Rally drivers have been up in front of the courts for rape, drink fueled rages and drugs charges ???

Of course football is the greatest sport in the world :roleyes: It also attracts a lot of asshalfs!! You don't see mass punch up at rallies and motor sport venues, do you ?

That liver that went in to Best could have gone to someone more deserving, perhaps someone in your family, not some waste of space, self induced alcoholic

Lets all support the wife beating, drug taking alcoholic

RIP Burnsy

Here Here Well said Markus
Not a football fan then?

You seem to be very emotional about the subject for someone who apparently doesn't care that Best died and doesn't care about football?

By the way, there is regular random drug testing in football so if there are drug takers its a small minority. If they want to drink it's their money and their life and if girls want to have sex with men in hotel rooms the men generally oblige be them footballers, lawyers or people that work in asda, nothing unique to footballers there. The only unique thing is girls think they can cry rape against a footballer and make some money. Which is actually a disgrace as it takes away from the true claims of rape from genuine victims.
Old 28 November 2005, 11:52 AM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

If the death of two people the vast majority have never even met and how much coverage it gets in the news paper is all that people have to worry about then you should count yourselves very lucky.

I feel a lot of compassion for the families left behind and in Richard Burns case it is very tragic as he was young but how is any of this helping? People loose loved ones every day maybe it would be better if we all gave more time to looking after the ones we know who have suffered a loss instead of arguing about this on the internet.

The way people are talking on here is disgraceful. I am sure neither families are scouring the tabloids and counting column inches to put a value on their loved ones lives. Sure maybe all the tributes to George Best may help his families and friends but the majority of people go through the grieving process without this.

I hope that anyone really grieving over these deaths doesn't have the misfortune to visit Scoobynet and read some of the rubbish posted

Andy
Old 28 November 2005, 12:04 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

The following links explain a lot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3512447.stm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1051857.htm
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?from=storyrhs
Old 28 November 2005, 12:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was told that the Mail criticised George Best quite severely having admitted his footballing skills. Has anyone read it?

Les

Quick Reply: Pissed off at Daily Mail Re: Richard Burns.