Heads up new ebay scam email

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2005, 08:22 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads up new ebay scam email

Guys,

Just to let you know I am not normally caught out but received a new type of spoof email today and being first thing in the morning I did it and then thought **** and had to change my password very quickly.

What you get is an email that says 'Question from ebay member' and the email looks completely authentic like someone has asked you a question about an item you are selling. The question is that someone has tried to pay twice via paypal and is having difficulty. So I was curious so clicked the link got an ebay page that asked me to login and then the penny dropped I had been had!

So guys be very very careful if you have stuff for sale on ebay and you see these emails.

Gary
Old 25 November 2005, 08:35 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

In general, if you get a mail claiming to be from ebay. Go to your browser and type www.ebay.co.uk in to the address bar. No clicking links in the mail etc. Go to "My Ebay" and in there "My Messages", in most cases e-bay seem to send you the message there as well (unless it's a daily search update or such). If it isn't there then don't worry too much. It worth always checking to see where links actually point (hover mouse over and look at status bar) rather where they look like they are pointing.
Old 25 November 2005, 09:16 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Thanks for heads up

chop