Police finally release police killing suspects

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2005, 08:38 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police finally release police killing suspects

Why am I not surprised?

Could it be that this is a rerun of the 1970s, when anyone either Irish or with an Irish name was considered a suspect by the police whenever an atrocity was committed? The fact that there was often *very* flimsy evidence never seemed to stop the brave boys in blue.

Good to see that the Scoobynet anti-immigrant campaigners, who had these 5 practically convicted last night, will now have to consider that fact that - horror! - this crime might just as easily have been committed by British people.
Old 23 November 2005, 09:24 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

There is a massive difference between disliking 'immigrants' as you refer to them; and disliking the endless swathes of bogus asylum seekers looking for an easier life here, because we are too liberal to stop them.

But dont let the facts get in the way of your political rhetoric.
Old 23 November 2005, 09:24 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
Why am I not surprised?

Could it be that this is a rerun of the 1970s, when anyone either Irish or with an Irish name was considered a suspect by the police whenever an atrocity was committed? The fact that there was often *very* flimsy evidence never seemed to stop the brave boys in blue.

Good to see that the Scoobynet anti-immigrant campaigners, who had these 5 practically convicted last night, will now have to consider that fact that - horror! - this crime might just as easily have been committed by British people.

Or could it be you endorse the new labia aproach, " better not do anything in case there is the microcosmic chance that someone may complain, human rights you know" cant have old tony,s **** poor policys on the front pages again,.. do some spin and move on...

routinly suspects are held and released, the yorkshire ripper was questioned and released before being re arrested and charged.

The only down side to this i see is what do you reckon the chances are of these potential suspects being around in 10 days time??

Mart
Old 23 November 2005, 09:35 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I really don't mean this in any horrible kind of way....but if the police were to arrest everyone in Bradford who is of ethnic origin i think the police stations would be a bit full!!!

Don't really think they were arrested just because they were foreign.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:00 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Or could it be you endorse the new labia aproach, " better not do anything in case there is the microcosmic chance that someone may complain, human rights you know" cant have old tony,s **** poor policys on the front pages again,.. do some spin and move on...
Not at all. If they've done it, charge them, try them, sentence them and throw away the key.

But the police are always under pressure to arrest someone to prove that they're doing their job properly. It could be that these people have done the crime, but it's equally possible that the police have picked up some poor people, who don't speak good English, and interviewed them about the crime.

People get fitted up for things, and it's not as though it's never happened before in the UK, is it?
Old 23 November 2005, 11:04 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
But the police are always under pressure to arrest someone to prove that they're doing their job properly.

<snip>

People get fitted up for things, and it's not as though it's never happened before in the UK, is it?
All sounding rather similar to the changes to the detention of terror suspects arguments.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:07 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
All sounding rather similar to the changes to the detention of terror suspects arguments.

Yep. And to think that many people thought 90 days was sensible. Christ, after 90 days I'd confess to kidapping Red Rum, poisoning the Queen Mum and being Lord Lucan.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:10 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Do you mean Shergar?
Old 23 November 2005, 11:13 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Do you mean Shergar?
Him too. Hell, I'd confess to most things, including my irrational hatred of gardening programmes.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:14 AM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Is it correct that one of the 5 is still in custody ?
Old 23 November 2005, 11:16 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonGawthorpe
The Police Officers who make the arrest, take the person to the custody suite, where they have to explain to the custody officer why the person has been arrested. Simply picking up a foreigh looking bloke and saying to the custody officer, he might of done it is not acceptable. I can tell you that that person would be released immediately and the officer spoken to about the use of their powers. They dont just pick up who they like!! You will find that most "fitting up" of people is done by the public. There are literally thousands of bogus reports to the Police where victims and witnesses to crimes are naming someone just because they dont like them or think it looked a bit like them.

Also did it occur to you that the officers dealing with this incident have lost a colleague and friend. You think about someone you work with who all of a sudden just disappears! Of course they are under pressure. They are under pressure to do right by the victims family and to prove to these scum that they cant get away with killing somebody!

Si
If I say I believe in Father Christmas, does that make him real? If you seriously think that the police always get it right, that there's no bias in there, then you're living in cloud cuckoo land.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:16 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Hmm......wonder where the investigation is at.......the somalis have been released on bail pending further enquiries, but guven the seriousness of the allegation it is unlikely that they would hav been released if they were serious suspects...which to me says that the police have not got the right people......which means the real killers have had a goodfew days to make their escape....
Old 23 November 2005, 11:19 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

And if the Somalis ARE illegal immigrants, fookin deport them on the next ferry, and move on to the rest of the million or so others.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:19 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonGawthorpe
The Police Officers who make the arrest, take the person to the custody suite, where they have to explain to the custody officer why the person has been arrested.

Also did it occur to you that the officers dealing with this incident have lost a colleague and friend.
One wonders however, if the custody officer, in their bereaved state, may be a little more "flexible" on the standards required to hold somebody as long as the descriptions roughly match those posted.

I wouldn't be surprised of there was a feeling of "I don't care if we arrest everybody in Bradford, as long as we get the bas*ards that did this".

We don't know, we probably never will, but both scenarios are possible.

Last edited by OllyK; 23 November 2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:22 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Berived?
Old 23 November 2005, 11:25 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Berived?
I'm more surprised you didn't pick up on something more fundamental! Edited now

Last one just released...
Old 23 November 2005, 11:26 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

Bloody soft immigration policy, that's what it is, they should wake up and smell the coffee, immigration
Old 23 November 2005, 11:29 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

And if the Somalis ARE illegal immigrants, fookin deport them on the next ferry, and move on to the rest of the million or so others.
Hey, they were probably just some poor people, who don't speak good English
Old 23 November 2005, 11:29 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Karl 227
Bloody soft immigration policy, that's what it is, they should wake up and smell the coffee, immigration
Old 23 November 2005, 11:30 AM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

One wonders however, if the custody officer, in their bereaved state, may be a little more "flexible" on the standards required to hold somebody as long as the descriptions roughly match those posted.
For the record, they too have rules set down by the government and would not be allowed to be more 'flexible' as you put it. If there is no valid evidential reason for holding them then they can't, its as simple as that. The police dont want to be getting bogged down with wrongful arrest cases, so its in their interest to prove that such and such a person was arrested for a reason.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:38 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steffiraf
For the record, they too have rules set down by the government and would not be allowed to be more 'flexible' as you put it. If there is no valid evidential reason for holding them then they can't, its as simple as that. The police dont want to be getting bogged down with wrongful arrest cases, so its in their interest to prove that such and such a person was arrested for a reason.
If you're suggesting that no Police officer has ever allowed their emotions to affect a descision you're living on another planet.

So on an ID basis, how many matches do they have to have? What if the source picture or the description isn't good, but what they have matches quite well? Are the rules completely objective or does somebody have to weigh it up and make a decision? If it's the latter, it can be abused. If it's the former, we can replace custody officers with computers.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:44 AM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

If you're suggesting that no Police officer has ever allowed their emotions to affect a descision you're living on another planet.

So on an ID basis, how many matches do they have to have? What if the source picture or the description isn't good, but what they have matches quite well? Are the rules completely objective or does somebody have to weigh it up and make a decision? If it's the latter, it can be abused. If it's the former, we can replace custody officers with computers.
Why would they have gone to london then? There are hundreds of people in west yorkshire who fit the somalion/middle eastern call it what you like description. I aint arguing with you cos i cant be arsed.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:50 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

Apparently they followed the car used by the suspects using CCTV footage and the new number plate recognition cameras, from Bradford to London.
Old 23 November 2005, 11:51 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steffiraf
Why would they have gone to london then? There are hundreds of people in west yorkshire who fit the somalion/middle eastern call it what you like description. I aint arguing with you cos i cant be arsed.
I have no idea - I haven't been party to the interviews. As I said, there are a whole host of possibilities, and we as the general public will probably never fully find out. I'm just exploring other possibilities and keeping an open mind.
Old 23 November 2005, 12:51 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

That was my immediate thought too
Old 23 November 2005, 01:37 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Whats everyone moaning about immigrants for? Blair tells me they make a great contribution to society, and he wouldnt lie would he?

I mean, ok we've had the London bombers and attempted London bombers - one of whom had lived in the UK for 10years but never worked. We've just had this Police officer killed by a gang of immigrants. We have immigrants rioting in Birmingham etc etc - but we have to remember its not the immigrants fault, its OUR fault - we forced them into doing these things remember, and we must do whatever it takes to make them happy to prevent further problems
Old 23 November 2005, 01:47 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by Petem95
Whats everyone moaning about immigrants for? Blair tells me they make a great contribution to society, and he wouldnt lie would he?

I mean, ok we've had the London bombers and attempted London bombers - one of whom had lived in the UK for 10years but never worked. We've just had this Police officer killed by a gang of immigrants. We have immigrants rioting in Birmingham etc etc - but we have to remember its not the immigrants fault, its OUR fault - we forced them into doing these things remember, and we must do whatever it takes to make them happy to prevent further problems
It's not the immigrants, just some poor people, who don't speak good English
Old 23 November 2005, 01:56 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95

Weren't all but one of the london bombers born in Britain?
We don't know if the people that killed the police officer were immigrants. Hell, we don't know who they were at all at the moment.
Were the birmingham riots all immigrants? I doubt it, many of them were probably born here.
If you want to go into lineage to determine who are immigrants then you'll find that we ALL are immigrants.
Old 23 November 2005, 01:59 PM
RedFive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
you'll find that we ALL are immigrants.
Perhaps even French !
Old 27 November 2005, 02:33 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Well moose, poor people who dont speak english very well? Care to comment?