Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Last Tommy

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2005, 09:33 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Last Tommy

On BBC last night (and the previous week). One of the saddest and most moving series I have ever seen on war.

Only 27 veterans left from WWI when they started to make the film, and all interviewed were remarkable men in one way or another, yet still just simple folk who were sent to the most terrible war in mankinds history.

Everyone knows the terrible story of trench warfare, but to hear the accounts from these men really brought it to life, especially as the memories they recounted were re-enacted by actors. Particularly poignant were the scenes where the real tragedy of how it affected people, like the tommy who received a 'dear John' letter from his wife, and simply removed his helmet and walked into no mans land to be shot by the Germans, or the man who came home after spending 4 years in a prisoner of war camp to find his fiance had married someone else.

Even through all this, all of them bar one had no bitterness or regret, just a stoic outlook on what had happened to them.

Ultimately, even the most unforgiving had made his peace, and after 87 years went back to the place he had been injured and list his friends and met up with a German artillery man who had been shelling the area he had been in, and they became friends.

Ths saddest part of the program was, not unexpectedly, when they told of how many had died since the making of the program. Now there are only 4 people left alive out of the 5 milllion who fought.

It seems that mankind will never learn from our mistakes, we still slaughter each other.

Geezer
Old 16 November 2005, 10:13 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Only four soldiers left who fought in the Great War?
Old 16 November 2005, 10:22 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GC8
Only four soldiers left who fought in the Great War?
Think about it: it started 91 years ago and ended 87 years ago. Even someone who enlisted at 14 would be 101 now. My own father was born the year it began, and is 91 now!

In France, of EIGHT million enlisted men, only 6 remain alive. The seventh died the week I was over last, end of October. He was 107, and lived in the next village to us, although I never met him, or even knew, until he died. Too late.

Alcazar
Old 16 November 2005, 10:28 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Agreed, very moving programme. The Somme on Monday was also quite eye opening. The type of warfare was madness, WALKING towards a German machine gun and making no effort to get cover
Old 16 November 2005, 10:36 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Think about it: it started 91 years ago and ended 87 years ago. Even someone who enlisted at 14 would be 101 now. My own father was born the year it began, and is 91 now!

In France, of EIGHT million enlisted men, only 6 remain alive. The seventh died the week I was over last, end of October. He was 107, and lived in the next village to us, although I never met him, or even knew, until he died. Too late.

Alcazar

The maths hasnt escaped me; my question was..... Are there only four soldiers still alive from the Great War, or were the programme makers referring to a particular batttle; The Somme for instance?

Simon
Old 16 November 2005, 10:37 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

it was on bbc news the other day, their is 10 surviving people from the original war.

hth

Jamo
Old 16 November 2005, 10:45 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GC8
The maths hasnt escaped me; my question was..... Are there only four soldiers still alive from the Great War, or were the programme makers referring to a particular batttle; The Somme for instance?

Simon
No, the whole war, as in the Armed Services, Army, Navy, Royal Flying Corps.

Geezer

Trending Topics

Old 16 November 2005, 11:00 AM
wadsy69
Scooby Regular

I am always in awe of these men/women. They really do make you feel humble and put things into perspective. I feel that we should endeavour to ensure that our children and future generations are made aware so they may have a greater respect/sense of gratitude. It's difficult to put into words, but I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say.
Old 16 November 2005, 11:09 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."
Einstein

When you hear the accounts of what went on you have to agree with the sentiment of the above quote. My upmost respect goes to those who served and what they endured.
Old 16 November 2005, 11:13 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
On BBC last night (and the previous week). One of the saddest and most moving series I have ever seen on war.

Only 27 veterans left from WWI when they started to make the film, and all interviewed were remarkable men in one way or another, yet still just simple folk who were sent to the most terrible war in mankinds history.

Everyone knows the terrible story of trench warfare, but to hear the accounts from these men really brought it to life, especially as the memories they recounted were re-enacted by actors. Particularly poignant were the scenes where the real tragedy of how it affected people, like the tommy who received a 'dear John' letter from his wife, and simply removed his helmet and walked into no mans land to be shot by the Germans, or the man who came home after spending 4 years in a prisoner of war camp to find his fiance had married someone else.

Even through all this, all of them bar one had no bitterness or regret, just a stoic outlook on what had happened to them.

Ultimately, even the most unforgiving had made his peace, and after 87 years went back to the place he had been injured and list his friends and met up with a German artillery man who had been shelling the area he had been in, and they became friends.

Ths saddest part of the program was, not unexpectedly, when they told of how many had died since the making of the program. Now there are only 4 people left alive out of the 5 milllion who fought.

It seems that mankind will never learn from our mistakes, we still slaughter each other.

Geezer
Well said. I thought it was one hell of a programme and should be shown i schools as part of the curriculum.
Old 16 November 2005, 11:23 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is really heartening to see how people are reacting to the stories of the sheer hell in the trenches in the Great War and the intense suffering from the gas attacks and the dreadful atrocities committed by the Japs and the Germans etc in WW2.

It should never be forgotten of course and I agree that it should be taught in schools as a way of making us all aware of what these events can lead to.

War is a terrible experience for those whose lives are touched by it and it is best avoided if possible.

Les