Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Mother of four locked up for speeding

Last edited by alcazar; 14 November 2005 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Can't post link:(
Old 14 November 2005, 06:55 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didn't think you could speed in kitchen goods........

I'll get my coat

Dan
Old 14 November 2005, 06:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I can't post a link because the stupid swear filter thinks the town I live in is a swear word

Anyone interested, have a look at www.thisisscun thorpe.co.uk, without the space.

It's on "other local news" page, disgusting.

Alcazar
Old 14 November 2005, 07:05 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

,,mother-of-four was locked up in a Scottish cell and deprived of contact with her family before being driven to S****horpe to stand trial on Saturday - for a two-year-old speeding offence.

Michelle Keating (43), from Aberdeen, was caught speeding on the M180 in 2003 while rushing her husband to work at Humberside Airport. She received notice of police action against her and filled in the appropriate forms to send to the authorities, admitting the offence. She then heard nothing about the matter and believed charges must have been dropped.

However, on Thursday, when she was stopped during a routine police check, it was discovered there was a warrant out for her arrest issued by North Lincolnshire magistrates.

And, in what defence solicitor Stuart Cranidge told North Lincolnshire Magistrates' Court was 'one of the most outrageous cases I have dealt with in 35 years of being a solicitor' she was arrested and locked up for two days.

"Mrs Keating was quite perfectly properly arrested and taken to a Scottish police station," he said.

"She was assured somebody was being dispatched from S****horpe to collect her. In fact, nobody came to collect her until Friday."

In that time, he said, Mrs Keating was not allowed to speak to her husband or father when they came to visit.

"When Mr Keating said 'I've got four children' the response was 'are you saying you can't look after your kids? In that event the next call I'll make will be to social services'," said Mr Cranidge.

Prosecutor Andrew Horner confirmed Mrs Keating had been found guilty of speeding in her absence.

However, he successfully applied for the case to be reopened, before stating it should be withdrawn.

"I have to take into account everything that has happened to Mrs Keating and I do not think it is in the public interest to proceed," he said.

Mrs Keating's husband, Christopher (42), who had driven down from Aberdeen, said the matter had been disgusting and his faith in the justice system had been severely shaken.

"Why did my wife have to come all the way to S****horpe in custody to sort this matter out?" he said.

"We are law-abiding citizens and there is nothing to suggest we wouldn't have turned up.

"I can't understand why we didn't receive the proper notice about the original matter.

"We have moved house, but the car is registered to our new address and we pay a mortgage - we should be easy to find. In technology terms, we are visible from the moon."

Mr Cranidge added: "I'm delighted with the view taken by the Crown Prosecution Service in this case."
Surprising?
Old 14 November 2005, 07:28 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

sounds nuts.....i dont think they have big telescopes on the moon?
Old 15 November 2005, 09:11 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It will happen all the time when we become a police state!

Les
Old 15 November 2005, 09:16 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crazy

Trending Topics

Old 15 November 2005, 11:43 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

And remember: if you have done nothing wrong then you have absolutely nothing at all to fear. Big Brother doesn't make mistakes and he smiles benignly upon all his good citizens.
Old 15 November 2005, 11:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes Hedgehog, nothing to fear as you say, for those of us who have read the book maybe they will put PSL in my own Room 101 telling me how lucky I am!

Les