Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Annoying driving.

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2005, 11:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Annoying driving.

I need to vent my ire, you lot will have to do. come on, rant with me.

1/ You let somebody out or through, they blank you, now I am not looking for a group hug but a smile, wave or nod isn't too hard, for example today, I let a girl out in a Clio 172, she blanked me as she was too busy on her mobile as she left her office car park, why make a call or text when stationary, why thats just a waste of time. Usually anything made in Germany seems to have this effect on its driver, particularly Mini's and X5's.

2/ You let someone out as they have a gap one way and you control the other, you flash, you wait, you flash again and the dozy **** sits there waiting for Christmas, dum de dum de dum, then the traffic arrives from the other direction so you drive off again, thats if the **** doesnt try to lurch out into moving traffic having twigged that you WERE letting them out. Women and old men are the worst culprits of this.

3/ Bit more serious, dont see it often but a couple of weeks back I saw a girl in traffic (moving) on the M56 reading Heat Magazine, I could read the headline 'Why is Posh so skinny', now I dont know about you but if somebody rammed me and they were reading Heat (I can sort of understand if it were a map, but still a very bad idea in 2 tonnes of metal) I would roll it up and shove it up her ****.

4/ Queue of traffic to leave motorway slip, hmm dont want to wait in that so I will nip into lane one, travel a few feet and expect to get back in, thats if somebody is napping or has the sense to realise that I am a ***** and am about to be collected by one of Eddie Stobarts finest travelling 60 mph faster, see I saved 20 seconds and didnt cause a pile up.

5/ Why is it that 1 in 5 cars has a defective headlamp these days, thats obviously allowing for the ones that have Xenon's mounted high (off roaders) that melt your retinas. Oh and the real sad cases, headlight out but front fogs on, fogs on is bad enough but with a headlamp out is unforgivable, I mean if you care so much about lighting to drive round with your fogs on why not keep your other lamps in good order.
Old 09 November 2005, 11:21 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO

1/ You let somebody out or through, they blank you, now I am not looking for a group hug but a smile, wave or nod isn't too hard, for example today, I let a girl out in a Clio 172, she blanked me as she was too busy on her mobile as she left her office car park, why make a call or text when stationary, why thats just a waste of time. Usually anything made in Germany seems to have this effect on its driver, particularly Mini's and X5's.

5/ Why is it that 1 in 5 cars has a defective headlamp these days, thats obviously allowing for the ones that have Xenon's mounted high (off roaders) that melt your retinas. Oh and the real sad cases, headlight out but front fogs on, fogs on is bad enough but with a headlamp out is unforgivable, I mean if you care so much about lighting to drive round with your fogs on why not keep your other lamps in good order.
Oh, these ring a bell! Vent away, I feel your pain!
Old 09 November 2005, 11:30 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

I'm definately with you on all the points mentioned. The majority of people only think of themselves these days.

Oh, you forgot to mention the brainless middle laners on the motorway, (real pet hate of mine!
Old 10 November 2005, 03:36 AM
si_5
Scooby Newbie

If you think that's bad, come and have a go in San Diego, CA. I've been here a while and since we are on the subject of bad drivers, I'll let you know a few differences...

1) Drivers rarely use their indicator. Seriously, they see a gap and move.
2) Every f*ck*r is on their mobile phone. Hands Free Kits, your asking too much there I'm afraid!
3) Very Agressive driving (American/California mentality I guess). If you put your indicator on to move, you'd better not wait around, cause they won't.
4) Linked to the point above, they drive powerful cars, but it doesn't mean they can drive them safely. I saw more accidents on a daily basis, it just wasn't a normal day without a seeing a good few. Too much yapping on their mobiles and not paying attention to the drive, especially the Blonde airheads!
5) Tailgating is very big over here, the space left between the two cars is minimal, just cause the rear driver doesn't know any better, hence why the majority of the accidents here are rear enders.

What's funny is that its not the same as the typical White Van Man or BMW d*ck behind you, but the guy in his Jacked up V8 Truck, with his "5" big bore. And most of them don't even take them off road!

Bloody Yanks!

Simon
Old 10 November 2005, 08:03 AM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I agree on all points, the headlamps one gets me the most but since drumsterphil sold me a pair of 130 cibies payback is most pleasureable but the strange looks you get from the "I look dead cool with foglights on" brigade is one of "why did you do that" i thinks its pondlife that put these on and generally blonde bints who think it provides extra light to aid parking in tesco's at dusk.

Had the usual 5 series BMW driver carve me up this moring on the M25 making 4 lane changes untertaking etc within 100 yards, I caught him up and took off my glasses and offered them to him under a klaxon horn blast, he got my message.

Old 10 November 2005, 09:17 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

number two is very common for me, usually get it once a day, then when they realise Im letting them go I look at them shake my head in disgust and drive on watching them sat there for 5 minutes in my rear veiw mirror

This morning, grrrr pulling onto a roundabout to join the A1. Im in the left lane because Im taking the first exit and should be pulling into the left lane.... the left lane on the roundabout is clear and one car in the right hand lane of the round about... So I pull off and take the first exit, the other car on the roundabout takes the first exit too but pulling into the "fast lane" fine no problem, how it should be, so I keep a gentle speed going until this car has gone past me so I can pull out too. but instead the driver and his son (presuming) were looking out the window f..ing and blinding at me, WTF for? he wanted me to speed off so he could go into the slow lane to pull into the services... WTF... the idiot was int he wrong lane in the first place pulling off the round about if thats where he wanted to be, so why moan at me for it? and secondly that exit is only for lorries to get into the services, the services are sign posted for the junction before to get to the sevice station.... Dunno what the prat was thinking about but he got some gestures back
Old 10 November 2005, 09:31 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

My pet hate at the moment is motorbikes.
Oh yes they want to be treated just like all other road users in terms of giving them space, being aware they are there etc etc, but that doesn't stop them undertaking on motorways, overtaking on blind bends or into on- coming traffic - hoping that traffic will move over to let them down the middle.

I mean I had a bike tailgaiting me yesterday at 75mph down the motorway.....let me put it this way.....YOU WILL DIE if you hit me up the rear on a motorway, while I will have a scratched bumper, don't they realise this ?

Can't think of a worse type of transport through a cold wet winter.
Old 10 November 2005, 12:10 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
My pet hate at the moment is motorbikes.
Oh yes they want to be treated just like all other road users in terms of giving them space, being aware they are there etc etc, but that doesn't stop them undertaking on motorways, overtaking on blind bends or into on- coming traffic - hoping that traffic will move over to let them down the middle.

I mean I had a bike tailgaiting me yesterday at 75mph down the motorway.....let me put it this way.....YOU WILL DIE if you hit me up the rear on a motorway, while I will have a scratched bumper, don't they realise this ?

Can't think of a worse type of transport through a cold wet winter.
What about a push bike, motorised scooter, skateboard, roller blades, walking????
Old 10 November 2005, 12:27 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Talking

I saw a girl in traffic (moving) on the M56 reading Heat Magazine, I could read the headline 'Why is Posh so skinny'

So technically you were reading Heat whilst driving?

Old 10 November 2005, 12:28 PM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

Heres another 2 'issues'....

People who edge out at busy roundabouts to such an extent that people coming round the r/a/b eventually have to stop and let the other person out. Does my head in, why cant they wait there for a gap like everyone else.

Drivers that plainly do not look ahead when coming towards mini r/a/b's. I was driving towards one the other day on the way home, coming towards me from the opposite direction was a 55 plate Rangie. i indicated about 200yds before the r/a/b and proceeded to go round it at 15-20mph, the Rangie continued without slowing at all and cut right across the front of me at 30mph.
I could see the driver heaving the thing around just trying to get past without me hitting him, **** end!!
Old 10 November 2005, 12:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree with you J4CKO,

I find it annoying too when you politely let someone through a gap or let them join a line of traffic etc. and they just ca'nt be bothered to acknowledge your action to help them out. Especially when they blast through as though it was their right anyway!

It really is down to utter selfishness, inflated sense of self importance, and sheer pig ignorance!

Les
Old 10 November 2005, 12:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Two and four really resonate with me!
Another thing that really annoys me is people that just cannot stand to be overtaken, even if they are going slowly! I recall a BMW 3 series staying in the the centre lane at a steady 65mph on the M25 a few weeks back. I went past in the fast lane at 70ish and thought nothing more of it. Next thing I know, said BMW is in the fast lane about 2 inches from my bumper flashing his lights and waving like a madman. I tired not to get annoyed, and pulled into the middle lane to let him past, he did, then went straight back into the midle lane and it was back to 65mph again. Riiiiiiiiight! Now. I'm not a middle lane hog and wanted to go faster than 65mph so I indicated to pull into the fast lane and went past him up to my cruising speed of 70ish again. Guess what happened next? Yep, plonker in BMW repeats his intimidation move? Why? FFS!! Sometimes people just want to go at a higher speed than you, deal with it!!

GRRRRRR

NS04
Old 10 November 2005, 12:52 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

2/ You let someone out as they have a gap one way and you control the other, you flash, you wait, you flash again and the dozy **** sits there waiting for Christmas, dum de dum de dum, then the traffic arrives from the other direction so you drive off again, thats if the **** doesnt try to lurch out into moving traffic having twigged that you WERE letting them out. Women and old men are the worst culprits of this.

3/ Bit more serious, dont see it often but a couple of weeks back I saw a girl in traffic (moving) on the M56 reading Heat Magazine, I could read the headline 'Why is Posh so skinny', now I dont know about you but if somebody rammed me and they were reading Heat (I can sort of understand if it were a map, but still a very bad idea in 2 tonnes of metal) I would roll it up and shove it up her ****.

4/ Queue of traffic to leave motorway slip, hmm dont want to wait in that so I will nip into lane one, travel a few feet and expect to get back in, thats if somebody is napping or has the sense to realise that I am a ***** and am about to be collected by one of Eddie Stobarts finest travelling 60 mph faster, see I saved 20 seconds and didnt cause a pile up.

1/ Observe first: If they're on the 'phone, don't let them out. Make them concentrate more on the manoeuvre and they may have to "put the bl**dy thing down!!!". Being "on the 'phone" also leads nicely into your point number "2/".

2/ I try not to do this these days. I just ended up getting frustrated, then I'd 'go' myself. Thing is there's scope for an accident if they 'go' at the same time. I don't flash the headlights unless I'm already stopped and I'm trying to draw someone's attention. I don't move off if someone flashes their lights when they're still moving relatively quickly.

3/ I totally agree but 1) they'd deny it and 2) no-one else would give a fsck and stop to provide a witness statement if you did have a bump. 3) You'd end up being the 'one' in the wrong (or in the dock).

4/ Difficult one: There is a dynamic that you can see if there's a long tailback. The traffic at the end hardly moves. Everyone is going from say 50mph+ down to zero. Add in a few lorries and when they start rolling again, large gaps appear. I tend to 'merge' into the traffic closer to the slip. It has to be done right though, so I don't inconvenience others. What really gets me is people who stop, indicate and block another carriageway. I've seen cars and trucks do this on the M25 and it never fails to cause chaos in all of the other lanes as other people have to push out to get around the obstacle.

5/ Worst case I find is Xenons when you're approaching a RH corner on a minor road. Car comes around the corner towards you and you get white-out followed by red-out. Totally agree regarding the 'broken' headlight thing. A major part of the problem is that people don't get stopped and given rectification notices.

J.
Old 10 November 2005, 12:53 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

i must admit i do edge out at roundabouts but generally only when their exit is blocked so they shouldnt be coming across anyway but they do anyway...

Lack of 'priority from the right' - on the roundabout & they still come across your path as though you & the roundabout never existed. Happens everyday, maybe its just me - thats why im the InvisibleMan...

traffic carming bollards - going along a normal 2-way road, come to a bollard. Wait for a car to come through as it has right of way. The car stops at house nearby - ok thats fair enough. Several cars come past. They have to wait behind parked car. They cannot pass as theres a queue behind me. More cars continue to drive through but stop between the bollards. ok so they cant pass because of our queue & i cant pass because of the selfish dumbass whom clearly wasnt looking ahead & has no fcking brains....passing places are only meant for 1/2 cars....

petrol pumps - cars queuing out on to the main road cos theyve got **** for brains and dont realise that THE PUMP REACHES BOTH SIDES then have a go at you for jumping the queue

Last edited by InvisibleMan; 10 November 2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10 November 2005, 12:58 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Don't get me started on those who use their front fog lights when it clearly isn't foggy. They should be hung, drawn and quartered...

(grabs cup of tea and biccies, and gets comfortable)
Old 10 November 2005, 01:02 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

front fogs are cool...
Old 10 November 2005, 01:09 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I generally don't flash lights to let someone out these days, unless it's to draw someone's attention as above.....you never know if there's a bike or padestrian around - most people take flashing lights as a 'go' signal, and usually don't bother to look around to make sure it is safe to move.

Thing that's annoying me more and more is people turning right at roundabouts without indicating - several times recently I've pulled-up sharply because the car that I thought was going straight on, suddenly cuts across and turns right instead. Guess if contact were made it would be a 50/50 fault too?
Old 10 November 2005, 01:11 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

People who pull out in front of you causing you to slow to avoid hitting them...

... THEN SODDING TURN OFF 20 YARDS LATER.

Then to make matters worse you look in your rear view mirror and there's not a car insight.

Why the hell can't they just wait 5secs and and avoid interfering with anyone else's journey.
Old 10 November 2005, 01:49 PM
kibbster
Scooby Newbie

I agree with everything said in this thread.
Here's another two...

People who either come off a roundabout onto a dual carrageway in the outside lane then stay there for a few minutes at a few mph below the speed limit forcing you to flash them out of the way or undertake.
Or the people who move/sit in the outside lane of a dual carrageway because they want to turn right 2 miles down the road!

Grrrr!
Old 10 November 2005, 04:12 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Hey, this is good therapy! Totally agree on the issue of people who don't indicate when navigating roundabouts (and this is coming from a BMW driver btw, flame away!). It's unbelievably annoying and seems to be getting more and more common.

Another one I've noticed lately too is when a slow moving dual carriageway is coned off to one lane. The drivers in the lane that is about to be closed get plenty of notice but still insist on waiting until the very last second before merging into the open lane. I know this has always happened but the difference nowadays is the fact that instead of waiting for someone to let them in (which the average person will if they are given plenty of indication), they just force their way in very aggressively without any indication. I just can't believe peoples arrogance these days, there are some real w@nkers about!
Old 10 November 2005, 04:24 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveD
Thing that's annoying me more and more is people turning right at roundabouts without indicating
...or indicating too early. went round the army and navy behind someone earlier who indicated left past three junctions before pulling off. essex fm sticker in the back window, so likely to be a local!
Old 10 November 2005, 04:42 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Anyone had a slow moving car in front of them stuck in outside lane so that they can turn right at the island which is 2 miles away?
I remember letting someone out in front of me from a left lane which merged into my lane. The road then split into one of these said dual carriageways with an island at the end. The **** then stayed in the outside lane doing far less than the speed limit. I proceeded to undertake him which angered him so he edged into my lane as I went passed! I managed to pass him but as we reached the island he tried to pass me again so I took some evasive action and got away. What a twet!

Things to think about when following somebody that is driving very slowly.
a. they may be very old
b. they may be carrying eggs in the boot
c. they may be low on petrol like the guy I was following 2hrs ago. He conked out half way round an island with his car back-firing!

Nick
Old 10 November 2005, 06:49 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Ooh, time to let rip
This morning, Western Bypass, Gateshead, massive traffic jam, slip road on left merging into my lane, flashed to let car in, he proceeded to join and an ar$e in a white van pulled in from the right had to do a stop to let the poor bloke on the left in behind the van
Oh and I agree, its real bad manners not to say thanks
Old 10 November 2005, 08:46 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

i drive an 8 wheel truck which is limited to 56mph i HATE the gits on motorways that travel 50-55 mph, you pull out to overtake get about halfway past (which takes b!00dy ages) and they speed up leaving you in the middle lane holding up traffic for no apparent reason to passing traffic only to slow down when they have about 100yds of space between you so in about 2 minutes you repeat it all again!!!!!!!
also people that cut in front of me when i'm going onto slip roads off motorways
FULLY LOADED TRUCKS TAKE LONGER TO STOP THAN CARS!!!!!!! the reason we leave bigger gaps is because of this not because we feel like letting people jump in. The amount of people who are willing to risk a very big crash for 5 seconds of road time never ceases to amaze me,i'm not sure if its because they are thick or ignorant just pull in behind and when it goes to 2 lanes you are free to go
Old 10 November 2005, 08:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I think the residents of South Manchester must have read this thread as today, anybody I have been courteous to have responded with a cheery wave, even the most mean sprited BMW drivers managed to raise a digit off the steering wheel in a grudging effort at acknowledgement.

I on the other hand have been a c*nt all day.
Old 10 November 2005, 08:58 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pauly
i drive an 8 wheel truck which is limited to 56mph i HATE the gits on motorways that travel 50-55 mph, you pull out to overtake get about halfway past (which takes b!00dy ages) and they speed up leaving you in the middle lane holding up traffic for no apparent reason to passing traffic only to slow down when they have about 100yds of space between you so in about 2 minutes you repeat it all again!!!!!!!
also people that cut in front of me when i'm going onto slip roads off motorways
FULLY LOADED TRUCKS TAKE LONGER TO STOP THAN CARS!!!!!!! the reason we leave bigger gaps is because of this not because we feel like letting people jump in. The amount of people who are willing to risk a very big crash for 5 seconds of road time never ceases to amaze me,i'm not sure if its because they are thick or ignorant just pull in behind and when it goes to 2 lanes you are free to go

I've just noticed that after all that's been said in this thread, no one has actually said anything bad about truck drivers. I myself have no problem with them, the majority of them are excellent drivers. I agree with pauly, it's the unobservant idiots around them that are the problem - especially on motorways.
Old 11 November 2005, 06:58 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The one thing I'd question on there (readying flame suit) is the headlight out with fogs thing. If you have just lost a headlight, and run with one light only, other traffic might conceivably see one light, and think motorbike - and therefore not lreact accordingly. The only time I've ever used front fogs when it's not foggy was on a recent trip where a headlamp bulb blew during the journey; will point out that I only used them until I could stop and fit a spare bulb. My attitude is that I'd rather look like a bit of a **** than potentially have an accident as someone didn't realise I was a car and not a bike.
Old 11 November 2005, 09:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Nah, its usually one main beam and one sidelight on, dont think these dicks have the mental process to put them on to compensate.
Old 12 November 2005, 02:45 AM
mad-dad
Scooby Regular

have to agree with most things said so far.
another one for you. it happened today. join the M1 and staying in the n/s lane doing about 80ish. no other traffic about apart from some dozy bint in a clio with her boyfriend in the third lane doing about 65.
i have to admit, i didn't even try going behind her to wait for her to move over. just stayed in the first lane.
Old 13 November 2005, 05:58 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

The main thing that pi$$es me off is where a dual carriageway changes to a single carriageway meaning the traffic in the right hand lane has to merge with the traffic in the left hand lane.

Now although I spend most of my time in the ouside lane, if I see the above situation I will pull into the left hand lane and join the queue which has begun to form some distance before the lanes actually filter - a queue which has been caused by people staying in the right hand lane to overtake all the slow moving traffic, then coming to a standstill because a) they can't all filter in at once and b) no-one will let them in.

Does anyone else agree that these situations should be an enforced 'one for one' filtering - I am no traffic flow expert but to me this seems the optimum way to maintain some sort of flow of traffic. It's always the case that traffic starts to move freely immediately after the filter point, the hold up is purely due to the erratic stoppage of both lanes as opposed to a steady integration of both.

As I mentioned, I always pull into the left hand lane in plenty of time, and leave a large gap to let ONE car in from the right. If everyone did this I am convinced hold-ups would be reduced for all concerned!

I also find this situation a flash point for road rage incidents.

Phew, that feels better!

Quick Reply: Annoying driving.