Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bulldogs

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2005, 03:09 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bulldogs

I have got two of these beautys. They are awsome familly pets and not in the least nasty. They look vicious but are as soft as, well a soft thing. But they are the most stubborn, un-trainable,dopey dogs i have ever come across. I thought it was just mine, but my friends are exactly the same. Does your dog come when called or sit or lie down when told? I think that even the Bird on the telly who trains dogs would be hard pushed with a Bully.
Old 06 November 2005, 03:19 PM
stevenrsturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
I have got two of these beautys. They are awsome familly pets and not in the least nasty. They look vicious but are as soft as, well a soft thing. But they are the most stubborn, un-trainable,dopey dogs i have ever come across. I thought it was just mine, but my friends are exactly the same. Does your dog come when called or sit or lie down when told? I think that even the Bird on the telly who trains dogs would be hard pushed with a Bully.
lol,, so true,, training my little rottweiler was hard, but got there now a angel at 12 months,, even more stubborn,
Old 06 November 2005, 04:40 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

My mother had a white bulldog. Hard to believe but it made my French Mastiff look intelligent. And thats quite a task
Old 06 November 2005, 04:56 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Got a Boxer and she's a nightmare, she can do it but it's just not fun doing what your told, so she doesn't bother.
The only time she will is when she knows she's fcuked up and trying to get back in the good books.
Old 06 November 2005, 05:09 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

mates just got one of these, about 13 weeks old now, and as long as hes not in the middle of messing about or nothing to distract him (kids other dogs etc) then he will go to owner when called and sits too, although not to the point of staying there for long!!

excellent dog though, very playful and not nasty at all.

Mark
Old 06 November 2005, 05:23 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

my brothers had a bulldog for about 8 years now, and i dont think she's done what shes told once fantastic temprement tho. she makes my rhodesian ridgeback( a notoriously difficult dog to train, apparently) seem like the hieght of obedience!
Old 07 November 2005, 09:27 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Bulldog owner here, theres a saying for these little beasts, you dont own a bulldog, the bulldog owns you and that is so true. The little bugger does sit when I ask him (unless he has something else on his mind) he'll sit and wait for food I can put his bowl down and he'll wait before he eats until I give him the nod anything else = no chance. Walking him off the lead hes fine, doesnt leave my side, until he sees another dog and hes off wanting to play.... Big softie though, some idiots walking their Collie off the lead the other day which attacked my Nelson, all nelson wanted to do was try and hide behind my misses, wouldnt dream of fighting back. If I had Nellie on the lead that collie would have got a kick in the face.... The owner was lucky too. frigging idiots, I put my dog on the elad incase the other is nasty and the bl00dy nasty dog gets left off the lead to try and bite mine some prats of owners out there. really is.
Old 07 November 2005, 09:50 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I used to have a German Shepherd like that: he went around with me, always on his lead if there were other dogs about.

However, other owners were not as responsible: I'd frequently have to shout to them "Call your dog please", as it came racing towards mine, growling and snarling. Their reply was often "Oh he just wants to play", and once "Why, he can look after himself?" .

If the other dog attacked mine, I'd drop mine off his lead. The other owners were NOT so happy when the vet's bills came in..........in fact the guy who said his Dalmation could look after itself, tried to get me to pay for it's stitches

I NEVER saw mine lose, he was just so fast on his feet. Didn't have a mark on him.

I'm NOT condoning letting dogs fight, you understand, but if another dog attacks mine, I'm not leaving mine on a lead to get a mauling. I did start carrying a stick to beat the other dogs off, but was once threatened by another owner if I hit his dog with it..........what was I SUPPOSED to do? I should have hit HIM with it for not controlling his dog Then he complained

Alcazar, (flame suit now on........waiting for the first post about hitting dogs, dogfighting etc etc )

Alcazar
Old 07 November 2005, 09:56 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I agree alcazar although I doubt my little bully would be able to defend himself whilst off the lead.... Id fear it'd get out of hand and mine would end up trying to run off.... definately disgusting behaviour from other owners though
Old 07 November 2005, 10:38 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm with you Alcazar 100%. My dog is off the lead until I or he spots another unknown dog. My boy is 9 stone on a good day and likes to play hard. Luckily he's well behaved - beaten by previous owner - and will stop in his tracks if I call him. On more than one occation I've had to let him off as I can't hold him and dodge someone elses dog at the same time. No damage so far, but I just don't need it when out for a quiet walk.
Old 07 November 2005, 11:10 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

People just have no sense, with the old 'they only want to play', personally i think it's a case of my dogs harder than yours, i feel sorry for the dog having an A-Hole of an owner.