Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Followed a Lorry doing 65mph in 40 limit what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2005, 03:24 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Followed a Lorry doing 65mph in 40 limit what to do?

On the way in to work this morning I saw a lorry on the road I was about to join absolutely fly past. It happened to be going the way that I was going and I ended up unintentionally following it through a 40 limit. I was absolutely gobsmacked when it accelerated up to at least 60 to 65 mph. I stuck at 40 through the limit and then tried to catch it up as soon as we went back in to a national limit area, it was very difficult!

After racing through the gears I just managed to catch up to get the reg number and phone number before it raced off again.

Its not normally something I would ever do but I decided to call the company to let the owner know, the "transport manager" i spoke to said "nah mate your talking out your **** that Lorry's limited to 53mph" he refused to put me through to anyone else so I guess it was either him or his mate driving the lorry. What shall I do now I don't really want to call the Police but I was so shocked by the driving and speed that it has left me thinking, is there anyone else I should call?

The lorry nearly crashed in to 2 cars when I was following it and I hate to think what would of happened if it had crashed in to one of the kids that what waiting for the school bus!

It was definitely doing more than 60mph and was a huge tipper lorry 30 ton?
Old 04 November 2005, 03:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you got his reg plate the police could check the tacho.

You won't be popular shopping a speeder on SN though. We all know speed doesn't kill.
Old 04 November 2005, 03:32 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

For your information these lorries ARE limited to 56 mph unless they are a rogue operator but having a name and number on the side I would doubt that.

Only trucks registered before june 87 are still unlimited or unless it had Irish plates on it.
Old 04 November 2005, 03:36 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

So its impossible for the limiter to be overridden or to stop working?

It was one like this:

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=236301367

I know a normal speedo has some inaccurracy but I know mine is only a couple of MPH out as I have GPS.
Old 04 November 2005, 03:38 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

make sure it wasn't the 'rubber duck' as he don't care what speed he does!
Old 04 November 2005, 03:42 PM
Patriot
Scooby Regular

You dont sit behind net curtains in your living room do you waiting to find someone walking on the cracks in the pavement....

Trending Topics

Old 04 November 2005, 03:42 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Thats better known as an 8 wheeler no its not impossible to infringe the limiter as I see many drivers every day as my job is a transport manager and they tell me all the tricks of how to over-ride the limiter, but if they get caught then they are in real trouble, not just them but the operator of the vehicle can potentially lose his operators license.
Old 04 November 2005, 03:43 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

This a pi55 take then?

wooooooosh if so.
Old 04 November 2005, 03:54 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I will give up then!

I hope none of your wives/husbands or kids are killed by this lorry (which was only 6 months old!) as it would of never been able to stop in time.
Old 04 November 2005, 03:57 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

I'm ok then as I have neither a wife, husband or kids
Old 04 November 2005, 04:15 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

As there wasn't actually an 'incident' or damage caused, I'd write it off to experience as regards the police.

Though it may be worthwhile passing the info. along to any community councillors or neighbourhood watch people in that area. They've got more to lose and more to fight for than you have, so let them know and see what happens.

J.
Old 04 November 2005, 04:19 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Who said I was driving a scooby?
Old 04 November 2005, 04:23 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

It's a bit sensationalist though mate, isn't it? What was the national speed limit for the road that you were on, 60? And just out of interest what car were you in?
Old 04 November 2005, 04:32 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I joined at a cross roads when a car pulled out opposite me infront of the lorry this road was a national limit, then I had to turn in to a road with a 40 limit which lasted about three quarters of a mile. This passed through a T junction where another car pulled out in front of the lorry (obviously not thinking a lorry would be going 65mph) but the car driver still could of been at fault the lorry braked and missed the car by inch's.

After about another 400 metres the road changed to a national limit when I finally caught up.

I was driving a new 313 CDI LWB Sprinter which is by no means slow for a van, but not as quick as a scooby, and certainly not the best thing for catching up with trucks that are doing 65mph!
Old 04 November 2005, 04:34 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

my mates dads a lorry driver and could get the limiter off by turning the ignintion on and off in a strange combination while moving.
Old 04 November 2005, 04:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
So its impossible for the limiter to be overridden or to stop working?

It was one like this:

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=236301367

I know a normal speedo has some inaccurracy but I know mine is only a couple of MPH out as I have GPS.
Yes the limiter and tacho can be bypassed, just ask any irish truckker
Old 04 November 2005, 05:14 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
On the way in to work this morning I saw a lorry on the road I was about to join absolutely fly past. It happened to be going the way that I was going and I ended up unintentionally following it through a 40 limit. I was absolutely gobsmacked when it accelerated up to at least 60 to 65 mph. I stuck at 40 through the limit and then tried to catch it up as soon as we went back in to a national limit area, it was very difficult!

After racing through the gears I just managed to catch up to get the reg number and phone number before it raced off again.

Its not normally something I would ever do but I decided to call the company to let the owner know, the "transport manager" i spoke to said "nah mate your talking out your **** that Lorry's limited to 53mph" he refused to put me through to anyone else so I guess it was either him or his mate driving the lorry. What shall I do now I don't really want to call the Police but I was so shocked by the driving and speed that it has left me thinking, is there anyone else I should call?

The lorry nearly crashed in to 2 cars when I was following it and I hate to think what would of happened if it had crashed in to one of the kids that what waiting for the school bus!

It was definitely doing more than 60mph and was a huge tipper lorry 30 ton?

If you really have a bee in your bonnet about this, report everything you have mentioned above and your conversation to the manager, to the area's Traffic Commissioner. They are the guys who can do something about it, i.e shut the whole company down!! if they feel its justified. They are not to be trifled with, because if they find reason to remove your Operators licence your screwed. I had a similar complaint in the past directly from Traffic commissioner who saw one of the trucks I looked after doing 72mph on a motorway (it was a petrol tanker.......) Not a happy bunny.

Find contact details for them here:-

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ds_027528.hcsp
Old 04 November 2005, 05:41 PM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

You said you slowed down for the 40mph, for 3/4 of a mile, as he went through at 60-65mph.

You say you raced through the gears to catch him up.

You do realise that the speed limit for the vehicle YOU were driving (Sprinter Van) is 50 mph!

Exactly how fast were you going? and do you think someone should report you?
Old 04 November 2005, 06:28 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mmmiddy
You said you slowed down for the 40mph, for 3/4 of a mile, as he went through at 60-65mph.

You say you raced through the gears to catch him up.

You do realise that the speed limit for the vehicle YOU were driving (Sprinter Van) is 50 mph!

Exactly how fast were you going? and do you think someone should report you?
Yep thats right 50mph in a national speed limit area.

BUT what would you rather crash in to you a Sprinter van or A huge 8 wheeler truck?

As I said before I have never reported anything like this before (and still have not done so yet), infact I have never called the police about anything in my whole life. I also speed and break the limits in my car or motorbike BUT only when I think its appropriate to do so e.g. empty dual carriage ways/ clear motorways or suitable single carriage ways. I dont think its appropriate to drive a huge 8 wheeler truck through the suburbs/semi rural roads at 20-25mph over the speed limit at 8.15am in the morning when there are kids waiting on nearly every corner waiting to be picked up by the school buses.

I dont really want to report it to the police as I dont like putting the owner of the companies livelihood at risk (he probably doesn't know his truck is being driven like this) I would rather have just let him know over the phone that he had a lunatic working for him!
Old 04 November 2005, 10:00 PM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

Maybe he was chasing the driver of an even bigger truck, who he'd seen speeding through a 30mph zone!

He was trying to get his number to report him.

Was there anybody following you, for speeding in a 50 zone?
Old 04 November 2005, 10:24 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
Thats better known as an 8 wheeler
The guys that drive them call them 8 leggers At least round here, they do.
<nods>
Old 05 November 2005, 05:39 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

After racing through the gears I just managed to catch up to get the reg number and phone number before it raced off again

What would i do? Firstly if i was you, i'd buy a new car 'cause the one you've got a.t.m. must be feckin' slow
Old 05 November 2005, 07:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You could write a personal letter to the managing director.

Les
Old 05 November 2005, 09:09 AM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Do - gooder
Old 05 November 2005, 09:32 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terzo 333
Do - gooder

you do realise what vehicle I am talking about?

Muppet!

Last edited by Scooby Soon!; 05 November 2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05 November 2005, 10:51 AM
bren.wright
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mmmiddy
Maybe he was chasing the driver of an even bigger truck, who he'd seen speeding through a 30mph zone!

He was trying to get his number to report him.

Was there anybody following you, for speeding in a 50 zone?
PMSL@above, he might of been late for his fry up at the local truck stop lol! I bet you have never broken the speed limit? Everybody does it once in a while.
Old 05 November 2005, 10:59 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Was it a built-up area the 40limit? Or was it one of these 'new' 40 limits which are basically national speed limit roads, but have a new 40 limit imposed so that scamera vans can hide there and make more money?

If it was a real 40 limit then thats pretty shocking if it was doing those sorts of speeds. I dont see what you can do about it however, Police wont really be interested unless it was stolen or actually caused an accident.
Old 05 November 2005, 11:05 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

The 40 limit was through a village/built up area there were houses, bus stops, village shops, t junctions, cross roads. The road was old and had plenty of twists and turns in it

Thats the only reason why I was so shocked!

If it was a dual carriage way or similar then I wouldnt og given two hoots!
Old 06 November 2005, 11:21 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

In that case, the lorry driver deserves maximum criticism for driving a vehicle of that size and weight at those speeds in such an area. The risks to others was extremely high.

Les

Quick Reply: Followed a Lorry doing 65mph in 40 limit what to do?