whats this sport/matial art?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2005, 01:45 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats this sport/matial art?

http://www.planetvids.com/html/Ninja...ing-Video.html

I used to do Tae Kwon Do and am slowly getting fitter after a few years of no excercise and my neck and back's getting better after a bad crash last month. Im interested in taking it up again but was wondering what sort of sport are they doing in that video. looks good.
Old 03 November 2005, 01:47 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Dunno but it looks fookin wicked

I'd be interested too!

gav..
Old 03 November 2005, 01:51 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Mostly gymnastics with a spot of stick waving mixed in.
Old 03 November 2005, 01:52 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

better vid
http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/...re_Ninjas.html
Old 03 November 2005, 02:05 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Looks like the same footage to me, and I stand by my original statement!!
Old 03 November 2005, 02:19 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Cool

The stick stuff looks like Wushu kung fu. The flippy gymastic stuff is what the Americans like to call Kata nowadays (Kata is a formulated set of moves in Karate and other arts designed to simulate defending yourself against multiple attackers) though to me its just flashy nonsense with no base in traditional arts and little or no use on the street, just a load of kids trying to impress hollywood producers!!

I'd love to get on the mat with some of those people, flip,flip,spin,spin, SMACK!!!!! See ya!!
Old 03 November 2005, 02:22 PM
seab
Scooby Regular

looks to me like wu shu (pardon my spelling)

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2005, 02:36 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

It's all jsut for show and useless...... your best bet is to do freestyle kickboxing mixed with Aikido, both of these I used to do (and will start again soon) and found they are amazing together.

Can you imagin some big hairy arsed bloke starting a fight in a pub.... where on earth would you do all that flippy cack ?!?!?!

This sports cack Looks VERY Cool, impresses me everytime I watch people doing it but it is less than usseless in a real situation, they would get battered!
Old 03 November 2005, 02:52 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Like I said - gymnastics.
Old 03 November 2005, 03:23 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

i think Wushu aka classical mess
Old 03 November 2005, 05:42 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with Gymnastic comments..

Shotokan Karate in Traditional format (none of the point scoring sports ****e) with a little bit of Ikedo(sp?) mixed in for me.

Simon
Old 03 November 2005, 06:11 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

piece of p!$$ that

anybody can do it!!!
LOL
looks like mostly gymnastics with a bit of morris dancing thrown in
nothing i've seen before
muay-thai kickboxing for me till my ankles and knees got bu££ered from footy

Last edited by pauly; 03 November 2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03 November 2005, 06:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Usual over-critisism I see. Are you telling me that guys that can do one handed handstands and hold it, a high then low spin kick in under one second and hold their body weight out parallel to the ground from a pole would be useless in a fight?! Simply because of their amazing body conditioning they would be far harder than your average joe. That's not to say that big burny who drinks 3 bottles of diamond white every weekend and has 52 fights a year couldn't take them but these guys are physically very able and will have a sound understanding of fighting principles. In short they are not pussies and anyone who thinks they are is seriously deluded/jealous.
Old 03 November 2005, 06:29 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

maybe they arent wanna be keyboard heros and do it for sport/fun/fitness as opposed to a defence against drinking in ****e pubs?

personally if i ever felt in danger on a night out i would ponder why i was drinking in chaville before taking up martial arts.
Old 03 November 2005, 06:33 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Usual over-critisism I see. Are you telling me that guys that can do one handed handstands and hold it, a high then low spin kick in under one second and hold their body weight out parallel to the ground from a pole would be useless in a fight?! Simply because of their amazing body conditioning they would be far harder than your average joe. That's not to say that big burny who drinks 3 bottles of diamond white every weekend and has 52 fights a year couldn't take them but these guys are physically very able and will have a sound understanding of fighting principles. In short they are not pussies and anyone who thinks they are is seriously deluded/jealous.
agreed
used to be mates with a bloke gymnast he was 1 strong little sod couldn't scrap to save his life but very vey strong and obviuosly very agile and quick
if he had learned to punch properly instead of the bridget jones style fight technique he would have been a bit tasty
so i have no doubt that the blokes in the vid can "ave it" if required
Old 03 November 2005, 06:47 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Its these guys:

http://www.teamryouko.com/index2.php
Old 03 November 2005, 07:30 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Being 'hard' in a fight is due to many aspects, only one of which is fitness.

Others include luck, technique, preparation and maybe most important of all how far you're prepared to go to win that fight.

The guys in the video look to be a good shape, but I cant see any real evidence that they have a 'sound understanding of fighting principles'. Flying kicks and spinning back roundhouses have little place in the street.

Looks like the usual *******ised hollywood martial arts, that have little to do with the origianal arts of self defence developed in China.

All IMHO of course

Neil
Old 03 November 2005, 07:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The guys in the video look to be a good shape, but I cant see any real evidence that they have a 'sound understanding of fighting principles'. Flying kicks and spinning back roundhouses have little place in the street.
It kind of goes without saying. To get to that level of ability you usually have to have come through hours and hours and hours of kicking/punching drills, stances, forms, etc, etc. Sure these don't have much place in the street but they condition the body to better equip it to fight. I would also suggest that its near as certain that in that time they have done some traditional fight training as well - there level of committment as good as confirms that.

Also NEVER underestimate fitness in a fight. Once the adrenaline is pumping someone who is normally 'fit' would be dead on their feet after about 60 seconds of fighting. These guys could probably dance around an opponent for 3 minutes until such time as they could just push him over.

There is also the impact resistance their bodies would have. All that flipping, falling, rolling and tumbling shocks the muscles and body components in ways that weight training, running, cycling, etc can't. Landing a punch into the guts of one of these guys will not have the internal effect that landing the same punch on your local pub lardo would have.

And finally these guys have exceptionally quick and accurate feet. Most chavs/pub fighters punch and grapple - few expect a quick kick at the knee which will quickly put anyone down
Old 03 November 2005, 07:41 PM
JohnRoly
Scooby Regular

Definately a new breed of art as opposed to an ancient. Looks cool, but cannot really see it being effective. Definately a hint of Capoeira in there though! Penang Silat was my bag, but too hardcore for me, more about limb destruction than defence!!
Old 03 November 2005, 07:50 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Also NEVER underestimate fitness in a fight. Once the adrenaline is pumping someone who is normally 'fit' would be dead on their feet after about 60 seconds of fighting. These guys could probably dance around an opponent for 3 minutes until such time as they could just push him over.
I'm not underestimating it, simply saying its not the be all and end all. Most fights are over in way less than 60 secs. 3 mins is a lifetime in a street brawl.

Got some great moves, but most of it completely irrelevant, other than the national gymnastic championships.

Neil
Old 03 November 2005, 08:01 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Well you go pick a fight with them then
Old 03 November 2005, 09:19 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I've just started learning Krav Maga

Seems to be very very intuative and practical
Old 03 November 2005, 09:34 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Started Chow Gar a few weeks ago, leaves me aching for a good couple of days after a training session lol.
Old 03 November 2005, 09:39 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

sometimes the flashy matial arts do work kung fu street fight not sure if he knows what he did but it seemed to work
personally i prefere brute force and ignorance....... thai style closest thing to street fighting

mike
Old 03 November 2005, 10:06 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I've just started learning Krav Maga

Seems to be very very intuative and practical
It is - because its really wing chun distilled down, however it loses something in the process.
Old 03 November 2005, 10:09 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FASTER MIKE!!
sometimes the flashy matial arts do work kung fu street fight not sure if he knows what he did but it seemed to work
personally i prefere brute force and ignorance....... thai style closest thing to street fighting

mike
That street fight is hilarious! His blocks were just waving his arms about then he does an enormous swing that happens to catch the guy. Looks like he has learnt the style from watching a video!
Old 03 November 2005, 10:15 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
That street fight is hilarious! His blocks were just waving his arms about then he does an enormous swing that happens to catch the guy. Looks like he has learnt the style from watching a video!
hi stance is quite impesive though.........
Old 03 November 2005, 11:10 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

His 'style' worked though
Old 03 November 2005, 11:56 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

LMAO at you lot... I knew I should come back more often......

the blokes in the Vids are physically fit and can run through a sequence of moves quickly and strongly purely because it get s practised everyday..... this does not mean however that they are good fighters or even that "hard" for want of a better word!!!

They may not be able to think that wuickly under pressure, they may not be able to take a smack in the face.... Being hard is more than being able to punch a hole in stuff... it's being able to take the punch if someoen lands one on you...... you can do as many back flips and somersaults as you like but lets see if they are still standing after having a foot rammed up in to their jaw.

Plus that style of fighting is Gymnastics with a little bit of aggression, it serves no purpose other that to flounce about, it looks amazing and I wish I could pull some of those moves off but it's not jealousy..... it's the bare trueth..... where on earth (other than a tournament) would you find enough rooom to do those sorts of moves..... corwded pub, lots of people.... I know I'll do a backflip and kick him in the head.... not likely sunshine!!!

Kickboxing and Aikido.... the only way to go, lovely combo of distance striking fighting and close "wrap them up and break something quickly" style fighting... .can't be beat.... Look at the Gracey family for example, none of them are particularly big but they batter the bigger guys Technique.... Obviously VERY important as well in the fighting world.

If you wanna watch more Very impressive stuff though, have a look at

http://www.nearlygood.com/video/skilledfighter.html
http://www.nearlygood.com/video/capoera.html
Old 04 November 2005, 12:00 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't have been able to fight that guy for laughing when he busted into stance except for that brief moment when he bent his leading knee at a negative angle - at that point I'd have used the Vinny Jones two footed soccer style straight through the bugger and ensured he never walked correctly again

Quick Reply: whats this sport/matial art?