Credit card scammed again

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2005, 09:28 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Credit card scammed again

Ba$tards !!

Luckily HSBC were on the ball, got a phonecall this afternoon from the bank, he quieried my 4am purchase of nearly £1K's worth of electrical goods online. I said I was safely tucked up in bed and verified my last genuine payments. HSBC bloke said he had cancelled the transaction and cancelled the cards for me, talk about on the ball - do they have some sort of pattern of use that they monitor ?

Couple of years ago the same phone call quiried if I had bought £2K worth or expensive rugs & jewelery in India, I pointed out that I had not been East of Norfolk so they cancelled the lot that time. Am dead careful, shred my receipts & statements but I do make the odd online purchase - do u reckon hackers are about ?

Ba$tards !!
Old 02 November 2005, 09:46 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or staff in shop give details out to their mates!!
Old 02 November 2005, 09:53 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

I was going through by bank statements last week and found 69.30 to an insurance company who I have nothing with paid for by switch at 11.06 at night. That defo wasn't me either, bank on investigating and I ave not lost my card, still have it here
Old 02 November 2005, 09:57 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

They do follow patterns for customers. I had my card quiered (A switch card) after a tyre company had fitted 4 new tyres. Lucky I proved that it was me using the card and got to take my car away with me.

It was a bit embarressing at the time when the sales person said "The bank want's to talk to you", but I'm glad they spotted a purchase I don't normally make.
Old 02 November 2005, 10:07 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

Yes it is a good thing that they check up.
I tried to order something over the phone with Argos and they refused me, I was very embarrassed and said I had never been refused before, I would contact CC company. They knew exactly what I was ringing about before I had time to explain.
Old 02 November 2005, 10:33 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to hear a positive story (about HSBC, not the scammers). Not like Nick's experience with Barclaycard.

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2005, 09:06 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

LOL remineded me of Lloyds trigger happy system

"Why did you refuse my card?"

"Increased spending habits suggested it was stolen"

"Its December 23rd you ****s"
Old 03 November 2005, 03:05 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done to HSBC with your attempted fraud. If it had been Barclaycard, you would now be picking up the bill or facing 3 or 4 months of letter writing!

I'm currently checking for reports about Phantom Withdrawals. This is fraudulent withdrawals where the card has not been stolen, phished or scanned - like what happened to my wife. I have seen reports where the entire ATM issuing dept of a UK bank has been scamming. One report stated that at one bank they were issuing all their cards with just 1 of only 3 possible PINs. The bank was taken to court on a class action & settled on the court steps - keeping everything out of the papers. The criminals are actually working inside the banks & (in this particular scam) tend to attack cards that have not been used for a while.
Old 03 November 2005, 03:19 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

had the same with my Egg Card when i bought a £5500 leather suite. they had me jumping through hoops in the furniture shop. didnt realise it was that hard to spend money. glad they were on the ball though.
Old 03 November 2005, 03:42 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Nick
Well done to HSBC with your attempted fraud. If it had been Barclaycard, you would now be picking up the bill or facing 3 or 4 months of letter writing!

I'm currently checking for reports about Phantom Withdrawals. This is fraudulent withdrawals where the card has not been stolen, phished or scanned - like what happened to my wife. I have seen reports where the entire ATM issuing dept of a UK bank has been scamming. One report stated that at one bank they were issuing all their cards with just 1 of only 3 possible PINs. The bank was taken to court on a class action & settled on the court steps - keeping everything out of the papers. The criminals are actually working inside the banks & (in this particular scam) tend to attack cards that have not been used for a while.
Barclaycard are cr*p!! I used my card at a petrol station a few years back, the details of which were used to set up an ongoing online subscription to Penthouse magazine...!

I phoned Barclaycard, and after repeatedly confirming that I had not set up the account - and after pointing out it was a mens magazine, I wasnt interested in that sort of reading material and that I didnt even have internet access at the time, they then tried to accuse my other half of doing it!!! I was advised to phone Penthouse in NewYork to ask for the details of the subscription. Penthouse denied having my card details so I got back on to Barclays.

After weeks of phoning them ( as initally they failed to cancel the subscription), signing forms and getting nowhere, they finally traced the payments. I had my money refunded and the cards changed, but they were unable to get the person responsible due to 'lack of evidence'..
Old 03 November 2005, 05:02 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I have a story about Barclays.

I bought my first Clio 172 and paid £10K on my debit card as I had the money in the account.

Nothing was even remotely mentioned by Barclays.

Afterwards, a few transactions had to be authorised by them phoning up. All OK. Nothing too much money, just bits and pieces.

2 weeks later I fill up with petrol in Hemel. Again, has to be phoned through. This time they refused it point blank. When I asked why they said I would have to phone the bank myself to get an answer. Luckily I had a credit card on me - not something I actually carry around with me!

Rang bank and they asked me a few questions and then admitted they'd put a "watch" on the card as a large sum had been spent recently. I asked politely why someone hadn't just called me to find out if it was legit instead of me having a petrol transaction refunded! They said someone should have done. Obviously they hadn't got around to it!

That could have left me stranded in Hemel - not a nice prospect at the best of times! Plus, if it really had been stolen, the theives could have got away with loads of transactions before Barclays pulled their fingers out.

Not happy at the time.