any serious runners...?

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2005, 01:16 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any serious runners...?

little advice required please...

been running about 20 miles a week in order to shed the love handles and get a bit fit, but im starting to get a hellish bad back...really stiff and painful...could this be because i dont stretch before and after...?! or is it because i mostly run on concrete...?

any advice appreciated...
Old 29 October 2005, 01:32 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have said that not stretching is not doing you any favours. I used to really suffer from back back but this was before I started working out. What worked for me was mixing some back exercises (seated row, squats, etc) in with the runs which helped build my back muscles. I've rarely had any problems with my back since. I now run a similar distance to yours every week.

Running on concrete you will feel more in your feet, shins and knees from the severe impact. Getting the right shoes is probably the most important thing here.

If Stefan (ozzy) is around, his opinion is worth its weight in gold!

Always warm up and cool down with stretches, you will end up hurting yourself!
Old 29 October 2005, 01:34 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

hmmm, thought so, however i read an article, think it was in mens health that said a scientific study had shown that there was no benefit from stretching...not saying its true, but to be honest, the pains only come on in the last couple of weeks, and ive been running since june...could it be cumulative...?

and wearing asics gel 1100 shoes, so okay in that dept...
Old 29 October 2005, 04:33 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave's said pretty much everything that'll give you back pain when running.

To add to Dave's comments on stretching it's very important to stretch before and after (including a warm-up and cool-down) when you're either just starting out running or coming back from a long lay-off. Your muscles, tendons and ligaments simply aren't used to it and will take some help to get used to the abuse.

Nowadays, I very rarely stretch before I go for a run, but I've been doing it pretty much every day for the past 4 years.

Your hamstrings are tied into your lower back and I find if they are tight, it usually gives me twinges and aches in my back.

Most people have one foot smaller than the other and one leg slightly shorter. My left leg is a bout 2mm shorter so I wear so insoles to compenstate. The only time I get back pain is sitting at a computer desk all day

As a beginner, running on hard surfaces is a general no-no. There's enough impact running without adding to the problem. You could try running on grass or corss-country if you can.

Personally, I had problems with shin-splints and a condition called Anterior Compartment Syndrome. Physio's and my Doc said it was because I did lots of running on the road and in boots, but it turned out to be a simply down to my pronation and a pair of insoles cured it; well after an op and 12mths off from running, but it's never came back.

So, my advice is do the following for each of your runs :-

Find some softer ground and check you have decent running shoes.
Do a simple warm-up jog for 5 mins doing some heel kicks, knee lifts, side jumps (kinda like moving starr jumps). This a form of dynamic stretching
Then do some static stretches (hold for 10-15secs). Focus on your hamstrings, butt and lower back.
Then go for your run
Do a 5min cool-down (basically just jog/walk)
Then do some static stretches, but this time hold the stretch longer (30secs)

If you're still get pains in your back, see a Podiatrist and make sure your gait isn't causing the problem.

Stefan
Old 30 October 2005, 09:25 AM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

cheers lads...

going to do some low impact this week; bike, cross-trainer, etc and try alot of stretching...bugs the s*it out of me when i cant exercise properly...!
Old 30 October 2005, 02:30 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

i used to run regularly and used to regularly have injuries. However, the last 9 months i've had a persaonal trainer taking me through a core strengthening programme and since i never have any such issues.

Other advice would be stretches before, after and in between will do you the world of good. Plus regular sports massage will also help

Sean

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2005, 09:03 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

As a matter of interest what is your day job?
If your sitting down all day then stretches and warming up is a must, maybe even consult a physio for proper back warming excersises.
Sometimes its the muscles within the back that cause the problems, these have special excersises to target them.

Last edited by +Doc+; 30 October 2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06 November 2005, 01:40 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Do you do alot of bending down at work etc?