Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Reported for Dangerous Driving !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2005, 11:52 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reported for Dangerous Driving !!!!!

Thanks for all your Input & Comments

I'll be doing some serious thinking as to what to do !!!!

Last edited by DeanF; 28 October 2005 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Removed now lots of advice received
Old 28 October 2005, 11:57 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Have they stated where and when this is supposed to have happened? Ask them to provide evidence that is was you (photographic) as you don't recall being there at the stated time.
Old 28 October 2005, 11:59 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

no evidence = no prosecution good sir
Old 28 October 2005, 12:04 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Tell them you had to get away from the mini as the driver was pointing an AK-47 out of the window.
Old 28 October 2005, 12:08 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

It's not the noise, I drive a new age with standard exhaust, very quiet, and get it all the time. People just do not like to get overtaken what ever the circumstance. Heck, I was going down a long straight hill Wednesday when the car in front decides to keep his brakes on all the way down at 15mph (in a 30) I'd been following him at 30mph on a national speed limit road for the last 2 miles, so I over took. There was a lorry coming up the hill a long long way off and I didn't speed or cause anyone to else any concern but the lorry driver decided to come up the hill on my side of the road, swerve back to his lane at the last minute whilst giving me the single man handshake. WTF?

I suspect you scared the driver of the mini, it's likely he/she wasn't paying attention to anything other than the end of their bonnet and didn't see you at all until the first they realised was the earful of flat four which no doubt woke them up. I guess they then took your reg and reported you to the old bill for driving at 200mph.

I'd return the letter with what ever the authorities have requested and be completely honest with the events.
Old 28 October 2005, 12:09 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I think it highly unlikely that you will be done for dangerous driving. However, the government recently introduced some laws which, basically, said that if someone on the road reported you to the thought police then you had committed a crime. Now, i can't remember if that bill ever made it into law.

Proving dangerous driving is nearly impossible and the police rarely persue it. Basically the only way to prove it is if there was actually an accident. Again, however, because i can't remember the state of that new legislation it may be that there is a catch to my theory. The other thing is that you need to question under what legal authority you have to provide the information requested, it would certainly be illegal to request it for dangerous driving offences as the law only allows such a request for trivial offences, basically speeding.

There are a lot of things that don't quite add up, are you sure it wasn't some mate who is pulling your leg?

If you are sure it is for real then I would suggest an initial consultation with a solicitor, ideally get yourself an experienced motoring solicitor and SAY NOTHING at all to the police or anyone else on the matter until you take advice. Even posting on this forum represents a voluntary confession under PACE. (Not that there is anything to confess to)

Be aware that if the person you passed was in the same lodge as the chief of police then dangerous can carry a prision sentence so if you are sure this is for real then it is worth taking it seriously, and it might be worth spending a few quid on a good motoring solicitor. Whatever you do say nothing to the police, even if they are smiling they are your worst enemy and the less you say the less chance you have of saying the wrong thing.

Trending Topics

Old 28 October 2005, 12:29 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Its a Notice of inteneded prosecution in accordance with the provisions of sections 1 & 2 of the road traffic Offenders act 1998 as amended.

This is a statutory notice which is required to be served within 14 days of an incident & which may not lead to prostitution , Erm Prosecution for the offence indicated , It does not necessarily indicate that proceedings will follow & you will be informed Etc
It states the road & time
Thanks
Old 28 October 2005, 12:31 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Alternatively; Hang around on the same stretch of road at the same time until you see the offending mini again then run him off the road so at least he's got something to moan about!

Disclaimer: Do not follow that advice under any circumstances.
Old 28 October 2005, 12:36 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Had personal experience of this. I won't bore you with the details but someone made an outrageous claim that I had hit his car whilst towing a trailer. How fckuing stupid can you be? According to his version of events there would have been carnage and the material facts just didn't support his fairy tale. Anyway:

1. Don't take it personally - the police are obliged to follow up.
2. Make an appointment to go and see them (they came to my house, as it happens).
3. You'll be invited to give your version of events.
4. The ploice will make a decision based on your response and the fact of the matter is that unless there's supporting evidence, there'll be no further action.

The best bit though is that they have to name the person who made the allegation against you along with address and contact details. In my own case when it was clear the whole story had been fabricated, I was rubbing my hands with glee assuming this bloke was going to get done with wasting police time - not a bit of it; they have to do the follow up. WTF? I understand that but when someone's made a completely false allegation against you, surely there must be some recourse - apparantly not. I'm still intrigued what motivates these sorts of people - spite, jealousy, money? Who knows?

Mrs K talked me out of going round to this bloke's house and punching his lights out but about 6 months later I found myself south of Milton Keynes where this character lived and out of curiosity I took a drive past his house. I was sorely tempted to go and knock on the door and see what kind of turd this bloke was but the phone rang and the moment was lost.

I've still got his details and as a mate once said "Revenge is a dish best eaten cold" and I will be dining heartilty and a time and place of my choosing.

Best of luck and don't sweat about it.

Cheers
Kav
Old 28 October 2005, 01:10 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Miwurdz
Had personal experience of this. I won't bore you with the details but someone made an outrageous claim that I had hit his car whilst towing a trailer. How fckuing stupid can you be? According to his version of events there would have been carnage and the material facts just didn't support his fairy tale. Anyway:

1. Don't take it personally - the police are obliged to follow up.
2. Make an appointment to go and see them (they came to my house, as it happens).
3. You'll be invited to give your version of events.
4. The ploice will make a decision based on your response and the fact of the matter is that unless there's supporting evidence, there'll be no further action.

The best bit though is that they have to name the person who made the allegation against you along with address and contact details. In my own case when it was clear the whole story had been fabricated, I was rubbing my hands with glee assuming this bloke was going to get done with wasting police time - not a bit of it; they have to do the follow up. WTF? I understand that but when someone's made a completely false allegation against you, surely there must be some recourse - apparantly not. I'm still intrigued what motivates these sorts of people - spite, jealousy, money? Who knows?

Mrs K talked me out of going round to this bloke's house and punching his lights out but about 6 months later I found myself south of Milton Keynes where this character lived and out of curiosity I took a drive past his house. I was sorely tempted to go and knock on the door and see what kind of turd this bloke was but the phone rang and the moment was lost.

I've still got his details and as a mate once said "Revenge is a dish best eaten cold" and I will be dining heartilty and a time and place of my choosing.

Best of luck and don't sweat about it.

Cheers
Kav

Before you set fire to a bag of dog turd on this guy's doorstep - make sure he does still live there!!
Old 28 October 2005, 01:15 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
So i put my hand Up, I don't mean obusively , as a Ok , sorry gesture,
What did you appoligise for if you feel you did nothing wrong ?
Old 28 October 2005, 01:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Dont offer your version of events under any circumstances! Honesty isnt the best policy here..........
Old 28 October 2005, 01:41 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
What did you appoligise for if you feel you did nothing wrong ?
Thats what i do when people get irate & gesticulate out of Cars, I don't bring myself down the there level & do it back .. Just a polite Hand up & let them & me get on with the day
Old 28 October 2005, 01:42 PM
Shonen
Scooby Regular

Why dont you just say to the police - no i didnt do it, i was not speeding etc... then say as to the person who has made the claims.... PROVE IT. As it is your word against theirs there is no evidence and i doubt the police would want to risk taking to court on a he said/she said basis with no evidence.
Old 28 October 2005, 01:48 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Shonen
Why dont you just say to the police - no i didnt do it, i was not speeding etc... then say as to the person who has made the claims.... PROVE IT. As it is your word against theirs there is no evidence and i doubt the police would want to risk taking to court on a he said/she said basis with no evidence.
Exactly, I knew if a complaint was made they have to go follow it up and say if its true dont do it again type thing but they cant do you for it on another persons word. Its not like theyre testifying to saying they saw you shoot your neighbour.

A simple, dont know what theyre on about dont recall no mini? when was this again.... nope dont recall that, dont even remember driving along that road on that day, what you going to do about it?

Saying that though with my recent run in with the law I wouldnt be suprised to hear you get locked up and your license took off you
Old 28 October 2005, 01:50 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mo
There was a lorry coming up the hill a long long way off and I didn't speed or cause anyone to else any concern but the lorry driver decided to come up the hill on my side of the road, swerve back to his lane at the last minute whilst giving me the single man handshake
just what you don't need. someone of low iq piloting 20 tonnes of brick wall at you i would have turned around and had words. and yes i have pulled a dead stop in front of a lorry before after he nearly ran me off the road (i was over taking and he veered accross road).
Old 28 October 2005, 02:01 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

Make no comment on the matter at all, let them provide what proof they have, do not admit being there.

I had a similar instance where some busybody phoned the police accusing me of speeding , racing on the highway, careless driving, dangerous driving etc case was dropped as it comes down to the person reporting you proving you committed an offence, if this mini owner is just a member of the public let them try and prove it, they will have to go to court and stand up and provide evidence, what have they got on you other than their untrained views, have their eyes been calibrated for speeding?

It comes down to their word against yours.

The police said to me that the accuser did not realise they would have to go to court and prove it, hence case dropped.

Last edited by Ian_S; 28 October 2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 28 October 2005, 02:37 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Before you set fire to a bag of dog turd on this guy's doorstep - make sure he does still live there!!

Good thinking - it was 5 years ago
Old 28 October 2005, 02:40 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

"Revenge is a dish best eaten cold"

Good thinking - it was 5 years ago

LOL best eaten cold? its bl00dy freezing now mate
Old 28 October 2005, 03:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by DeanF
Well,

I was on my Travels, Merrily absorbing the miles & roads when i exit a bend & theres another vehicle, doing a darn sight less than the National Speed limit, I had two choices Brake hard or Shift down & squirt it past, Which i did, the Vehicle is then flashing the lights, waving hands, all the usual stuff, So i put my hand Up, I don't mean obusively , as a Ok , sorry gesture, There was plenty of room , No solid white lines Etc Etc. Im assuming it was this vehicle anyhow..
In the Post a nice , Blah Blah Blah, Provide details of driver Etc, May lead to prosecution for dangerous driving Etc.
What do you think is my best course of action ??
Even if you overtake on an Empty road these days you get abuse, Just because your in a scoob & it makes a noise !!

Thanks
Interesting, they were paying sufficient attention to take note of your number plate but not of the road conditions and speed limit signs! Probably the kind of plonker who thinks they are the worlds safest driver cause they drive everywhere at 40mph! You probably just woke them up!! :-)

NS04
Old 28 October 2005, 03:04 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
LOL best eaten cold? its bl00dy freezing now mate
might have to move onto another maxim - "Don't get mad, get even"
Old 28 October 2005, 08:21 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I thought for dangerous driving you need at least two independant witnesses?
Anyway go see the Bill and make a counterclaim, it shouldnt be difficult ....
Old 28 October 2005, 08:28 PM
JamieMiller
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine had a similar thing occur about 2 years ago. The police followed it up and decided to pursue it with some enthusiasm. My mate had to endure about a year of worry before it went to court. He said he couldn't remember a thing and this was genuine because when it did get to court it was thrown out after about 2 minutes. They didn't even have the correct reg number and were following up on this because it was close. The sherriff said if he could charge the police for wasting police time he would.
Anyway, just thought I'd share this and my advice is to be honest, it's your word against theres.
Old 28 October 2005, 11:02 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

counter claim by saying you were travelling a round a bend when you came upon a car left in a very dangerous position on a blind bend and you did extremely well to avoid a serious pile up due to careless positioning by the other driver.....you though you'd report it in a hope to avoid other inncocent people being potential accident victims caused by his obviously poor driving standard.

See him squirm then!

Doesn't stand a chance in hell - your word against his - no independant witnesses.
Old 28 October 2005, 11:35 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

You are supposed to drive such that you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear, no matter how badly positioned the other vehicle is. Thus if you come round a blind bend and hit something you will almost certainly be charged with something, the other driver may also be charged. Going to police and admitting going round a blind bend and having to take to the wrong side of the road, or take other radical action, to avoid a stationary vehicle would be unwise. Telling a lie is also very very unwise. You want to win by telling the truth, not get caught out by making something up.

Again I am not at all sure that they can ask you who was driving for such serious offences as dangerous, in such cases it is likely that they have to prove who was driving and that you are not required to provide any such information.

What all this discussion highlights is the importance of saying nothing at all until you know for sure what your position and rights are. It is especially important not to say anything to the police as they are trying their very best to make a case (that is their job) and so will do anything to drop you in it. By all means be honest, tell the truth and present your case but do it after you know what you can and can not say and if necessary do it in court. In almost every similar case that I have come across the one lesson the motorist gained from the experience was that they should have kept their mouth shut in the first place.
Old 28 October 2005, 11:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

As I have said; make no written reply and say nothing if cautioned.