Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone relocated the hot water tank to create more room?

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2005, 07:40 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone relocated the hot water tank to create more room?

We have the hot water tank in a cupboard in the corner of the bedroom but it takes up quite a bit of space.Anyone ever had one relocated into the loft to create more room.Is it possible?

(Not DIY cos i'll pay someone to do it)
Old 27 October 2005, 07:50 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not quite on topic, but if you have a combi type boiler, you have no need for a tank these days..... but, unless you have a high loft space, you'll struggle to get the cylinder in the loft, as the cold header tank need to be above it.....
Old 27 October 2005, 07:53 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

The boiler is in the kitchen.20 years old.
Old 27 October 2005, 07:56 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I'm faced with moving the electric and Gas meters outside. Jeez Thats going to be pricey.
Old 27 October 2005, 08:04 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

My Mum chucked out the tank and put in a combi boiler, she saved a fortune in heating bills as she only heated what she used, and the extra space became a huge wardrobe
Old 27 October 2005, 08:06 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
My Mum chucked out the tank and put in a combi boiler, she saved a fortune in heating bills as she only heated what she used, and the extra space became a huge wardrobe
How much was that?

Does the combi take up more room that just the boiler?
Old 27 October 2005, 08:09 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the same done a year or so ago. Mog - off of here - did the job for me, and a bloody good job too. Rather than one big cylinder and tank I have two of each. If you want a photo let me know, I'm up there this weekend anyhow.

Trending Topics

Old 27 October 2005, 08:13 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Paul, depends what you need so far as heating ability, but there are a lot of boilers available that are merely the size of a kitchen cupboard..... if the boilers 20yrs old.... thats the way to go!!!
Old 27 October 2005, 08:32 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Mine is on the drivers side on the front of the inlet manifold above number one cylinder and I am thinking of relocating it somewhere around the back bulkhead
Old 28 October 2005, 08:20 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
I'm faced with moving the electric and Gas meters outside. Jeez Thats going to be pricey.
Did the gas earlier this year (Jan), moved to a ground box the otherside of the wall. It was a right faf and cost about £600. Transco move the pipe but won't supply or fit the meter, so you need to get you gas supplier to do that, who will sub-contract the job, but they won't then connect the meter to your domestic supply, so you also need a plumber. They also won't fit the gas meter the day you have the pipework done by transco. Get it done BEFORE it gets cold!!

Electricity was a different story. Wouldn't let us use a ground box. Can't put a wall box below windows or within so many feet, so we couldn't put it on the front of the house. Couldn't put it on the side as it would block our or the neighbours side path, so we would have needed to run it to the back of the house. We were looking at £5K+ for that, plus needing a sparky to then put in a new fuse box etc and hook everything back up, all of which was going to involve some very expensive cable or re-routing everything - either way add another £3K or so. So the electricity meter is still werring away in the corner of the lounge. I'm going to see if I can at leats upgrage to a slient(ish) electronic meter inside and then box it all in some cabinet.
Old 28 October 2005, 08:24 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

In answer to the original question, it may be possible, but if you have an old boiler, consider moving to a combi. Problem with it now is that it needs to be a condensing boiler so it needs to be connected to a drain of some kind to get rid of the water so siting it can be an issue. I got mine done just before the change so I managed to avoid it. While it may be a bit more efficient, there was no where I could site such a boiler without having it in bedrooms or loosing huge amounts of kitchen storage.

We went for one with a built in 50 Litre tank, which means we have mains pressure water, but also don't have the issue of a boiler struggling to heat enough water if for example 2 people are having a shower and the washing machine is on.
Old 28 October 2005, 09:11 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

FYI summer just gone I put in a Combi Boiler, basically its smaller than our old boiler and fits int he same place (in the kitchen) the cylinder tank in the cupboard was removed and the water tanks in the loft was removed, basically everything ripped out and the only thing remaining is the boiler which heats the water as you use it....

Boiler cost £500ish installation was free (dad works for british gas) and saves bags of room in the loft and cupboard.
Old 28 October 2005, 09:36 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Paul - as Davegtt says: you lose the boiler, and the heater replaces the one in the kitchen (whihc my Mum hid in a cupboard)

I'll ask her the total cost to her when I speak to her tonight
Old 28 October 2005, 09:46 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Hmmm combi-boilers. Got one of those, also know all the British Gas Service Engineers on first name terms. The Boiler was installed by the previous occupier and the service engineers are recommending replacing it. It takes up an enormous area of space in the kitchen, and theres no chance of having a shower if the washing machine is on, or a toilet flushed etc.

The other point to consider is that with no hot water or cold water tanks if the water is turned off for any reason you run out immediately.

From my experience which may be poor I would never swap a conventional boiler for a combi-boiler, apart from anything else have to take the ridicule from the neighbours every time the gas engineer turns up!
Old 28 October 2005, 10:00 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
The other point to consider is that with no hot water or cold water tanks if the water is turned off for any reason you run out immediately.
Unless you have one with an unvented tank integrated!!

From my experience which may be poor I would never swap a conventional boiler for a combi-boiler, apart from anything else have to take the ridicule from the neighbours every time the gas engineer turns up!
I did have similar fears, but I have to say our combi has been very good. Admitedly we did go for one that the plumber said he'd usually install in a small hotel, but it works a treat.
Old 28 October 2005, 10:17 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Must admit I love ours too, only thing I can fault it on is the water pressure for the hot water tap on the bath, everything else is fine though??? Dads on holiday at the mo though so need to wait for him to get back and check it out
Old 28 October 2005, 11:05 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I also threw the hot water tank away and fitted a good quality combi. We have had no problems with it over 13 years.

Les
Old 28 October 2005, 11:31 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Must admit I love ours too, only thing I can fault it on is the water pressure for the hot water tap on the bath, everything else is fine though??? Dads on holiday at the mo though so need to wait for him to get back and check it out
Pressure should be at mains level, the flow rate is what often suffers on a combi though as it has to restric the flow in order to be able to heat it enough. This is why we have the integrated tank. Mains pressure with decent flow rates - shower just about knocks you off your feet - "forgot" to put the flow restrictors in when I plumbed it up
Old 28 October 2005, 11:45 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol... nar powerful showers are good

its strange though all the other taps give decent pressure... cant work it out. never mind dads back from his hols on saturday so I have his first of many jobs lined up
Old 28 October 2005, 11:54 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

lol... nar powerful showers are good

its strange though all the other taps give decent pressure... cant work it out. never mind dads back from his hols on saturday so I have his first of many jobs lined up

Ahh, if it's just one tap, that sounds more like a blockage in the pipe / tap. Hope you can get access to them!!
Old 28 October 2005, 11:56 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

yeah can get to the tap and about 2 feet of piping before the tap, other than that all my tiling will have to come off which aint gonna happen as it only went on the walla year ago
Old 28 October 2005, 12:00 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

yeah can get to the tap and about 2 feet of piping before the tap, other than that all my tiling will have to come off which aint gonna happen as it only went on the walla year ago
I finished my bathroom tiling last weekend - thought we were going to have to have the floor (also tiled) up this week due to damp appearing downstairs. Seems that the loo filling pipe was weeping and water was running down the pipe and through the hole in the floor. Thankfully all fixable without major destruction!
Old 28 October 2005, 06:02 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Originally Posted by OllyK
In answer to the original question, it may be possible, but if you have an old boiler, consider moving to a combi. Problem with it now is that it needs to be a condensing boiler so it needs to be connected to a drain of some kind to get rid of the water so siting it can be an issue. I got mine done just before the change so I managed to avoid it. While it may be a bit more efficient, there was no where I could site such a boiler without having it in bedrooms or loosing huge amounts of kitchen storage.

We went for one with a built in 50 Litre tank, which means we have mains pressure water, but also don't have the issue of a boiler struggling to heat enough water if for example 2 people are having a shower and the washing machine is on.

You don't have to have a condesing boiler anymore as too many old houses simply could not house one so the law that was to have taken effect earlier this year was revoked. We had the choice of moving our old (as old as the house) cast iron job or having a new one, condensing or otherwise. We went for the new condensing one.
Old 28 October 2005, 08:10 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks.A few things to consider.