Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Clarkson sums up Britain wonderfully.

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2005, 02:58 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Clarkson sums up Britain wonderfully.

Is there any city outside Britain where young men, and quite a few young women, go out at night specifically to have a fight? Where else can you can have your head stove in for looking at someone, or have a pint glass rammed into your neck for spilling someone’s drink? Nowhere I’ve ever been, that’s for sure.
Old 24 October 2005, 03:03 PM
maxim
Scooby Regular

Old 24 October 2005, 03:22 PM
skoda_kid
Scooby Regular

dob on, once again
Old 24 October 2005, 03:34 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Say's it how it really is doesn't he.
Old 24 October 2005, 04:15 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't worry. 24 hour drinking will sort all that out.

Apparently...
Old 24 October 2005, 04:16 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Nail on head
Old 24 October 2005, 04:16 PM
maxim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck

Apparently...
Old 24 October 2005, 04:17 PM
maxim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
Is there any city outside Britain where young men, and quite a few young women, go out at night specifically to have a fight? Where else can you can have your head stove in for looking at someone, or have a pint glass rammed into your neck for spilling someone’s drink? Nowhere I’ve ever been, that’s for sure.
birmingham, nice - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/4372226.stm
Old 24 October 2005, 04:23 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck

Apparently...
Hmmm, IMHO 24 hour drinking is not a good idea. It works in countires which are family orientated and where the family plays a big part of life. People seem more responsible and going out to get sh*tfaced every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night is not the norm but a rarity. Sadly this is less and less so in ths country. Family values and not cool, respect is not cool unless it is to a gun-toting-yob or gang of ferral chavs. Young peoples asperations are not high and often they cannot see past the next weekend.

It is not cool to get some education and aspire to work hard and earn money when you can steal or rip off others or live off of the state.

We are in trouble and things are going down hill. What we do need it a tough robust common sense to parenting, schools, crime, Policing and life in general. It is all our responsibilities and in our best interests to see this is done.

Lot of people run Clarkson down but on the whole i think he has his head in straight and speaks a lot of common sense.
Old 24 October 2005, 04:40 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Hmmm, IMHO 24 hour drinking is not a good idea. It works in countires which are family orientated and where the family plays a big part of life. People seem more responsible and going out to get sh*tfaced every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night is not the norm but a rarity. Sadly this is less and less so in ths country. Family values and not cool, respect is not cool unless it is to a gun-toting-yob or gang of ferral chavs. Young peoples asperations are not high and often they cannot see past the next weekend.

It is not cool to get some education and aspire to work hard and earn money when you can steal or rip off others or live off of the state.

We are in trouble and things are going down hill. What we do need it a tough robust common sense to parenting, schools, crime, Policing and life in general. It is all our responsibilities and in our best interests to see this is done.

Lot of people run Clarkson down but on the whole i think he has his head in straight and speaks a lot of common sense.
Yes yes yes.

Let's get the Conservatives back in and get some standards back in to this country - though I fear it's too late.
Old 24 October 2005, 04:51 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

It's far too late, I can't see how the decline can be stopped without some sort of ultra hardcore government getting into power, which isn't going to happen.
Old 24 October 2005, 05:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Of course its not too late, with the right kind of leadership and some of those rare honest politicians.

Les
Old 24 October 2005, 06:01 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Kiwi = if parents brought their children up to respect others for a start, we'd not be in this mess. Its not too late. Another generation is coming along, the tide will turn .........Hopefully.
Yve ~ I live in hope.
Old 24 October 2005, 06:16 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

The magnitude of change required in society is just too big now I think, it will require a minimum of a government like Singapore to bring things under control. I just can't see it.

The majority of people in this country are now either chavs, binge drinkers, selfish, greedy etc. How do you change their attitudes to family, respect etc.

This may be an overgeneralisation but i see Britain composed of two main classes now.

Lower Class - Full of chavs and people who think it's a laugh to be disruptive and condone loutish behaviour

Middle Class - Full of people who are self-centred about their property, cars etc who don't really give a toss about this country as long as they're still ok.
Old 24 October 2005, 09:10 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apparition
Kiwi = if parents brought their children up to respect others for a start, we'd not be in this mess. Its not too late. Another generation is coming along, the tide will turn .........Hopefully.
Yve ~ I live in hope.
Yes, however the new generation will be parented by the current generation, so what hope in hell do they have??

Children are all born generally with the ability to be "value added" members of society.....on the assumption that parenting is good and conditions are correct.

I know there are exceptions to this but as a rule of thumb - scummy parents will on the whole breed scummy kids......repeat to fade......
Old 24 October 2005, 10:50 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

unfortunatly the nl gov hate clarkson, as he is pro car, and therfore is not part of there visionary needs.. the only way he survives is being popular with the masses, somthing tony is not!!

clarkson tells it straight unlike the numpty at No 10

Mart
Old 25 October 2005, 09:12 AM
maxim
Scooby Regular

"value added"
"Just be genuine"
Old 25 October 2005, 09:15 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Parts of new-zealand are like that
Old 25 October 2005, 09:21 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Why are you over here KiwiGT ?

Les
Old 25 October 2005, 10:33 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Why are you over here KiwiGT ?

Les
The money is good and the proximity to Europe. I earn enough to be able to maintain a comfortable lifestyle in an area where there are no problems.

Doesn't mean that I cant complain about the people who are destroying this country.
Old 25 October 2005, 10:46 AM
maxim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
who are destroying this country.
eventuently they'll destroy each other, look at birmingham.
Old 25 October 2005, 11:00 AM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

i live in one of the only low crime places left in the uk but the goverment has seen fit to ship all the worst scum over here so it drops the higher crime rates down and evens it out wtf!! they are paying the the scum 10k to move down here and giving them a place to live while they clame job seekers or what ever it is now they can sit on a beach suning them selfs WHY
Old 25 October 2005, 11:35 AM
maxim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gotmashed
WHY
because they can.
Old 25 October 2005, 12:00 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Yes yes yes.

Let's get the Conservatives back in and get some standards back in to this country - though I fear it's too late.
Sorry, I should have posted yesterday, but I was too busy laughing at the above comment. Standards? The Conservative Party??

Oh, and bear in mind that you're all complaining about the decline in societal standards - your poster girl famously didn't give a damn about the less well-off in society, declaring "there is no such thing as society".

You voted for her, you encouraged the greed-is-good mentality ..... now live with the consequences!
Old 25 October 2005, 12:47 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
Sorry, I should have posted yesterday, but I was too busy laughing at the above comment. Standards? The Conservative Party??

Oh, and bear in mind that you're all complaining about the decline in societal standards - your poster girl famously didn't give a damn about the less well-off in society, declaring "there is no such thing as society".

You voted for her, you encouraged the greed-is-good mentality ..... now live with the consequences!
Yes, however you are talking about something that took place 20 years ago. The only similarity between Thatcher and the current Conservative party is the word "Conservative".

Remember, it was the Conservative party that drove her (Thatcher) out. She was no different to any other leader. She had potent strengths and blatant weaknesses. Find me a leader that didn't/hasn't.

I could harp on about James Callaghan or Harold Wilson.....but would be a bit pointless now wouldn't it.

I listen to CURRENT party policy.

We can all go back and find faults with past governments - this is usualy done during PM Question time when a better answer cannot be saught.

Last edited by TheBigMan; 25 October 2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 25 October 2005, 01:07 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

I refuse to be so simplistic as to blame one single entity, person or group for the demise of Britain - however I must vote towards the party that has the strongest views on this point. The problem now is when the Conservatives talk of standards, values and respect they are shot down in flames for being "old fashioned".

Since 1997 when Labour won the election the demise has, to me, and many others seemed to have accelerated due to lapse attitudes on moral points, and points such as immigration (and so on...). In to the third term and it is now, worse than ever. We're turning into a scum infested (sorry change that we HAVE TURNED INTO) a scum infested hole of a country. All I ever hear in the media is "anti social this", "race related that", "gun crime this", "city gang warfare that". I'm bored and tired of it.

"Well why don't you move away then" - I plan to, when I can, however as right now is not possible; unfortunately.

In the meantime I will continue to vote as I see fit, for the good of this country. If my vote wins, and I am proved wrong then so be it, and I shall accept it. However, except PSLewis I see nobody (Labour supporters) that can say that Labour has proved them RIGHT on this point.

As said in previous post, all parties/leaders have their strengths weaknesses. Blair and NL's weakness is what I consider to be the moral decay of this country - sure it's not totally their fault, but they have been in power for 3 terms now and their mandate should have given them the power to make a difference - they have not done so.
Old 25 October 2005, 01:19 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I refuse to be so simplistic as to blame one single entity, person or group for the demise of Britain - however I must vote towards the party that has the strongest views on this point. The problem now is when the Conservatives talk of standards, values and respect they are shot down in flames for being "old fashioned".

Since 1997 when Labour won the election the demise has, to me, and many others seemed to have accelerated due to lapse attitudes on moral points, and points such as immigration (and so on...). In to the third term and it is now, worse than ever. We're turning into a scum infested (sorry change that we HAVE TURNED INTO) a scum infested hole of a country. All I ever hear in the media is "anti social this", "race related that", "gun crime this", "city gang warfare that". I'm bored and tired of it.

In the meantime I will continue to vote as I see fit, for the good of this country. If my vote wins, and I am proved wrong then so be it, and I shall accept it. However, except PSLewis I see nobody (Labour supporters) that can say that Labour has proved them RIGHT on this point.

As said in previous post, all parties/leaders have their strengths weaknesses. Blair and NL's weakness is what I consider to be the moral decay of this country - sure it's not totally their fault, but they have been in power for 3 terms now and their mandate should have given them the power to make a difference - they have not done so.

Yes, yes, yes & yes!
Old 25 October 2005, 01:43 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

ok but how about this the way i see it is kids now have no fear of anything police what can they do ? take them home wow cant charge them cant give them a clip round the ear, parents cant smack there bum (kid phones child line) police come round your house and charge you okkk, schools what can they do send them to sit outside the class room woooo cant cain them cant ruler cant throw the blackboard rubber at them england has been going down hill from the time all these human rights people started bleeting now number 10 has 2 leaders *** and his misses who tells him what to say and do and its geting worse now im 26 and had a smack if i did bad im marred 2 kids and theres no way there going to be hanging out in the streets all night smashing other peoples stuff and causing problems
Old 25 October 2005, 01:52 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

It's the 'Third Way'.

If it's any help it's going to get a *lot* worse before (if ever) it gets any better. Bring on the recession.
Old 25 October 2005, 02:21 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

"Well why don't you move away then" - I plan to, when I can, however as right now is not possible; unfortunately.

spot on. we now have a "say anything, do nothing" government that is only interested in power for power's sake. it's very unhealthy. i find NL's general malaise and inactivity (except in matters of public relations) to be staggering.

by the way moose, let me pick you up on thatcher's always-deliberately-misquoted "there is no such thing as society."

thatcher actually said precisely the following:

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

basic 'O' level comprehension skills make it clear that she is referring to responsibility, self-help, self-reliance, the importance of the family and the problems that come with taking a welfare state for granted. now't wrong with that: it's common sense. she was right about this in 1987 and is still right about it today.

Quick Reply: Clarkson sums up Britain wonderfully.