Clare Short's proposal

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2005, 07:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clare Short's proposal

It was hot today on BBC and Sky news>

With the Queen's permission the prime minister has the power to take the country into war without consulting Parliament.Do you think that all MPs should be consulted before committing the country to conflict? Or do you think that the government has a sufficient mandate to make this decision?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/4343506.stm

What do you think?
Just interested what people might think here on this subject.
I personally do think it will be more democratic if the MPs are essentially consulted of course,with the provision of emergency step if it has to be taken (supported with a valid reason) in dire situation.
Old 23 October 2005, 01:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I wonder if the Queen was actually consulted over the Iraq debacle.

They seem to tell her precious little else these days, or Parliament for that matter!

Les
Old 23 October 2005, 01:14 PM
AlfasudQV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot

With the Queen's permission the prime minister has the power to take the country into war without consulting Parliament.Do you think that all MPs should be consulted before committing the country to conflict? Or do you think that the government has a sufficient mandate to make this decision?

What do you think?
I personally do think it will be more democratic if the MPs are essentially consulted of course,with the provision of emergency step if it has to be taken (supported with a valid reason) in dire situation.

Err since when has any politician of any political party, ever consulted anyone on what they do, especially prime ministers. Roll on Iran baby, lets go an kill some more and get some more oil
Old 23 October 2005, 01:54 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Turbohot

What do you think?
Consulting parliment before going to war?Its a bit like running the blueprinting of your latest rally spec engine past a baby,but then they do run most other things past them.
Old 23 October 2005, 02:54 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I think the current procedures are (were) right. However Blair abused the rules by presenting a distorted picture of the evidence to get the vote through parliament (the vote being more one of courtesy to Parliament rather than a legal requirement). In future MP's will be more skeptical of evidence presented and that will make it more difficult for a future PM to get backing. Blair did this country a dis-service with how he handled the Iraq issue.
Old 24 October 2005, 12:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You can say that again!

I feel sorry for David Kelly too.

Les