Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

11 grand fine for 2 speeding tickets!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2005, 01:19 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 11 grand fine for 2 speeding tickets!!!!!!!!

Very funny story in todays torygraph. Shows the lengths some grasping idiots go to.

£11,000 bill for couple who invented a Bulgarian to avoid speeding fine
By Nigel Bunyan
(Filed: 15/10/2005)

A chartered surveyor and his wife concocted an elaborate plan, complete with a fictitious Bulgarian motorist, in order to avoid paying two £60 speeding fines, a court heard yesterday.

Cathryn Bromley, 42, even flew to the former Soviet bloc country so that her alter ego, Konstantin Koscov, could send a postcard to her husband, Stuart.

The couple were caught out when a police officer became suspicious and managed to prove, courtesy of the British embassy in Sofia, that Mr Koscov existed only in their imagination.

The Bromleys decided on the scam after their blue Mercedes was twice caught speeding by a camera in Hyde, Greater Manchester, last January. Instead of paying the two £60 fines and accepting six points on his licence, Mr Bromley, 43, claimed that neither he nor his wife had been driving.

The guilty party, he maintained, was Mr Koscov, a former employee, who had since returned to his native Bulgaria.

Police believe that the Bromleys were convinced the matter would go away. However, they had not reckoned on the tenacity of Pc Mark Beales. When he began to investigate in more detail the couple decided that they needed more ''evidence''.

Mrs Bromley, who is also a surveyor, bought a ticket for a 1,400-mile return flight to Sofia where she wrote and posted Mr Koscov's postcard before catching the next flight back. She was at home in Broadbottom, Glossop, Derbys, when the postcard, featuring scenes from Bulgaria, landed on the doormat. It read: "Many thanks for the opportunity to work in your office. I enjoyed the experience and would gladly return the favour, unfortunately my car is nowhere as good as yours but it will get you about! 'Many thanks again and look forward to my next trip. Regards Konstantin Koscov."

Unfortunately for the Bromleys, they were a little too keen to present this new, seemingly incontrovertible piece of ''evidence'' to Pc Beales.

''We became suspicious because they were being too helpful in providing this postcard to corroborate their story,'' he said outside court. He also thought that Mr Koscov's vocabulary did not quite ring true and made the inquiries that would prove that the couple were lying.

Once the Bromleys knew they had been rumbled they confessed. Yesterday at Manchester Crown Court they were fined a total of £9,200 and ordered to pay £1,900 costs after admitting two counts of perverting the course of justice.

Passing sentence, Judge Bernard Lever said: "The best place to hit people like these is in their pockets. Had they not pleaded guilty, I would have almost certainly sent them to prison."

As a result of his court appearance Stuart Bromley is being investigated by his professional body, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. An RICS spokesman said he faced possible expulsion and a fine of up to £5,000.
Old 15 October 2005, 01:23 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OUCH..!!! what a speeding fine...
Old 15 October 2005, 01:43 PM
fritz
Scooby Regular

lol i read this today as well.

sometimes you just have to take it on the chin....
Old 15 October 2005, 01:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Looks like they put a lot more effort into this than catching the ******* who burgled our house - nice to see the priorities are correct

and before someone harps on about deception and such like i still feel tacking burglary, robbery, vandalism muggungs and the day to day crime all of us are subjected to is is much more important than speeding!

Funny, when a normal averagish person commits a 'proper 'crime the CPS have no problem in hammering them and extracting the most they can, i wonder what some chav would have got in the same situation - about 4 hours community serve and a 50p fine i would imagine

Last edited by The Zohan; 15 October 2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 15 October 2005, 01:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Should be putting time and rescourse into this sort of crime

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=463993
Old 15 October 2005, 02:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Can't help but agree with every word you say, Paul.

Bloody coppers have their priorities ALL wrong

Alcazar
Old 15 October 2005, 03:50 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

eating donuts and catching speeding motorists.

If i see em out with a radar gun i go past about 10mph and wave. stupid wastes of space
Old 15 October 2005, 05:35 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

That is unbelievable!
Personally feel that the costing and man hours of the CPS which have gone into prosecuting this obvious horrific crime should be made public, and especially who ever authorised it!
And the police wonder why their public image is at an all time low when it’s plain to see where there priorities lie. Not really hard to work out why is it?
Old 15 October 2005, 06:52 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

You must ask what sort of society we live in that drives normally law abiding citizens to go to these lengths in order to avoid a seemingly trivial charge which is being used to criminalise about 3 million people per year.

As pointed out we must also ask what sort of society encourages the police to spend a considerable amount of time investigating such a trivial "income" offence when there are people being robbed and killed on the streets. I'm sure the police will defend their position with the "if you had to to my job, I'm a hard man you know, I've got ***** of steel..." line but, to be honest, taking pictures of people and proving it is them in the picture 3 million times per year hardly strikes me as a tricky or impressive job.

I think there was some expert on the legal system who stated that if you had a law that was broken by more than 5% of the population then you had a serious problem. Looks like we, the citizens of this country, have a serious problem as the government have invented a law which we nearly all break, with lots of potential for income and they are using the police force to enforce this law with a keeness that would be best directed at real crime.
Old 15 October 2005, 07:25 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Whatever your view on speeding and police resources, the fact is that perverting the course is justice is considered a very serious crime. It is pretty much the same as witness intimidation and evidence tampering.

They should have been jailed.
Old 15 October 2005, 07:39 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Agree with Kiwi.

And when directing blame for waste of public resources, it would seem more appropriate to me to blame the Bromleys rather than the police.

Gary.
Old 15 October 2005, 07:52 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Speeding chartered surveyor loads of cash

Braindead chav ****** burglar skint

Like most other money making scams, the justice system is now run by accountants, and they understand their demographic
Old 15 October 2005, 08:26 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Speeding chartered surveyor loads of cash

Braindead chav ****** burglar skint

Like most other money making scams, the justice system is now run by accountants, and they understand their demographic
For a start the fine is not for speeding it is for a much more serious offence.

I don't see a lot of difference between a chartered surveyor trying to get out of paying £120 and a chav ****** burglar - both of them probably had the attitude that they were smarter than the law and that no-one could touch them.
Old 15 October 2005, 08:35 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I don't see a lot of difference between a chartered surveyor trying to get out of paying £120 and a chav ****** burglar
The point is, the chav ****** probably wouldn't be able to pay a 50 quid fine and the courts know this and so would either let them off with a b0ll0cking or 20 hours community service. A chartered serveyor on the other hand may well be earning into 6 figures, so his ability to pay a nice big fine encourages the extra work required to secure the big pay day.

Last edited by corradoboy; 15 October 2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 15 October 2005, 08:44 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Serves them right for somehow thinking they are above the law,or its acceptable for middle class people to try and evade it.
Wan Kers.
Old 15 October 2005, 09:13 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

The other point is if it was a Burglar living on benefit they wouldnt have bothered investigating any alibi as they know even if he is successfully prosecuted he would only get a small fine.

Part of the reason for that is he just goes out to steal enough to pay the fine of course, if he had money already he wouldnt be a Burglar would he! The other part is that they wouldnt chase him for the fine as again whats the point when he has no assets unlike the guy mentioned above who they can get 11K from.

I agree that being hard working enough to have some money shouldnt make you above the law but neither should it make you more likely to be prosecuted or the punishment greater!
Old 15 October 2005, 09:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IMPORTANT point here is that the speeding fine was £60 for each offence - not bad really, for rich **** like these two.

The BIG fine was for perverting the course of justice - much, much more serious!!

Lets not allow the 2 offences to get confused!!

Pete
Old 15 October 2005, 10:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

ALL OF YOU: GO BACK AND READ HEDGEHOG'S POST!!

UNDERSTAND IT NOW?
NO?

READ IT AGAIN, THICKY!!!! AND AGAIN IF NECESSARY!!

Why do what would otherwise be law abiding, police supporting, middle aged people, HATE, and refuse to support the police?

IT'S A NO-BRAINER!!!

Alcazar
Old 15 October 2005, 11:09 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

UNDERSTAND IT NOW?
NO?

Why do what would otherwise be law abiding, police supporting, middle aged people, HATE, and refuse to support the police?

IT'S A NO-BRAINER!!!

Alcazar
What's your point?

Bear in mind the SOLE duty of police is to maintain order and work for the government. They are under no obligation to serve or protect any individual regardless of everyone thinking that.
Old 15 October 2005, 11:33 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

UNDERSTAND IT NOW?
NO?

IT'S A NO-BRAINER!!!

Alcazar
Alcazar, all I see is a large amount of tabloid-style 'spin' put on the facts of a case of perverting the course of justice in order to make them fit an anti-speed-enforcement position.

Before you start questioning other peoples intellect, perhaps you should ensure your own judgement is not clouded by assumptions which are simply convenient for your own point of view.

Gary.
Old 16 October 2005, 08:01 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

That is what a lot of us say, the Police do uphold the Government interpretation of the law rather than actual representing the Tax payers who pay their wages, this supports the view that their keen use of speed cameras is about raising Tax revenue rather than protecting the public.

Also this behaviour causes a lot of people to object to more anti terror laws as we know the Police will abuse the powers like they did at the Labour Party conference, also maybe it is time to make the post of Police chief elected so that there is some chance of the Police Forces reflecting what local people actually want in there Policing priorities.

Funny enough I think a number of Police Forces claim to serve their local communities yet most people on here don’t feel that way?
Old 16 October 2005, 09:48 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they deserved it, Mercedes, their own company, rather than pay for the speeding offence they committed they lied to the Police, for 60 poxy quid, I say deserved it as they could obviously afford it, why concoct something ?

Now I am not all that keen on the speed/safety camera as a revenue source but I am less keen on lying, greedy people. I suspect the pc in question smelt a rat and decided to pursue it, why not, thats what they are paid for, his hunch was right and he got them for peverting the course of justice, fair cop.

I think otherwise it would have been an interesting dinner party story, how they were soooo clever. Regardles of where you ar in society, you have to abide by the rules, break them if you want but you have to be aware of and accept the consequences of your actions.
Old 16 October 2005, 10:30 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I think they deserved it, Mercedes, their own company, rather than pay for the speeding offence they committed they lied to the Police, for 60 poxy quid, I say deserved it as they could obviously afford it, why concoct something ?

Now I am not all that keen on the speed/safety camera as a revenue source but I am less keen on lying, greedy people. I suspect the pc in question smelt a rat and decided to pursue it, why not, thats what they are paid for, his hunch was right and he got them for peverting the course of justice, fair cop.

I think otherwise it would have been an interesting dinner party story, how they were soooo clever. Regardles of where you ar in society, you have to abide by the rules, break them if you want but you have to be aware of and accept the consequences of your actions.

This I heard at a conference a while back. Paraphrasing as I cannot remember the exact words but the gist is the same.

This particular Police Force (probably not the same as in this case) was unable to mount surveillance on a known drug dealer operating from and close to his house which was 50 yds up the street from a middle and secondary school. Reason lack of funds and surveillance equipment to pay the overtime, etc. I know where I would like the resources to be spent first and what are the real priorities.

As I have said previously - Seems a shame that real serious crimes cannot be dealt with the ones that really affect real people’s lives. Whilst what the idiot did was wrong and should be punished I find that the priorities are wrong in this country.

This is not a go at the Police - more the government who calls the shots and the CPS!

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 October 2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 16 October 2005, 12:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

This is not a go at the Police - more the government who calls the shots and the CPS!
Whilst I agree with everything else you've said, Paul, I have to disagree here.

The Police are at the forefront in this matter. It is THEY, or their Chief Constable anyway, who decide on priorities. Supposedly, many of the "rank and file" disapprove of the way things are at the moment, but do you EVER hear any stand up and say so?

What's that quote about "for evil to happen, good men have to do nothing"?

And to say, "We are/were only obeying orders" cut no ice in 1945, and cuts even less now

Alcazar
Old 16 October 2005, 12:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

What's your point?

Bear in mind the SOLE duty of police is to maintain order and work for the government. They are under no obligation to serve or protect any individual regardless of everyone thinking that
Rubbish. The motto of our local Dibble is "Protect and Reassure", it's on EVERY car.

Alcazar
Old 16 October 2005, 12:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Alcazar, all I see is a large amount of tabloid-style 'spin' put on the facts of a case of perverting the course of justice in order to make them fit an anti-speed-enforcement position.

Before you start questioning other peoples intellect, perhaps you should ensure your own judgement is not clouded by assumptions which are simply convenient for your own point of view.

Gary.
Yeah, sorry, I shouldn't post after a few beers.

However:The "Facts" of the case are: LOTS of money and time was spent on pursuing these two, over a relativley minor offence, (who was the victim?), whereas little time or money is spent on crimes which really affect the general public. Call their offence what you like, dress it up in awful-sounding terms, spin it, even ( ), it was NOWT in the genetal scheme of things. I bet if they had polled the public in the police area that this happened, the majority would have voted NOT to pursue this, but to spend the money on things that affect THEM!

However you spin it, the result is the same: governmet etc WILL protect their sources of revenue.

Alcazar
Old 16 October 2005, 12:31 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Rubbish. The motto of our local Dibble is "Protect and Reassure", it's on EVERY car.

Alcazar
Protect and Reassure who?
Old 16 October 2005, 12:32 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Whilst I agree with everything else you've said, Paul, I have to disagree here.

The Police are at the forefront in this matter. It is THEY, or their Chief Constable anyway, who decide on priorities. Supposedly, many of the "rank and file" disapprove of the way things are at the moment, but do you EVER hear any stand up and say so?

What's that quote about "for evil to happen, good men have to do nothing"?

And to say, "We are/were only obeying orders" cut no ice in 1945, and cuts even less now

Alcazar
What i am saying is that the Top Cops, chief constables, etc are more interested in their careers and being at the govenrments beck and call rather than the old skool who did what was right. The feeds itself down to the rank and file bobby's who start to get disinterested and demotivated and like the general public wonder why they are doing what they are doing.
Old 16 October 2005, 12:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Protect and Reassure who?
Give over

Alcazar
Old 16 October 2005, 12:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
What i am saying is that the Top Cops, chief constables, etc are more interested in their careers and being at the govenrments beck and call rather than the old skool who did what was right. The feeds itself down to the rank and file bobby's who start to get disinterested and demotivated and like the general public wonder why they are doing what they are doing.
Absolutely.

Alcazar

Quick Reply: 11 grand fine for 2 speeding tickets!!!!!!!!