Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How long do flat roofs last ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2005, 08:58 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do flat roofs last ?

Bought a house last year which has had its flat roofs done early 2002 by a local legit roofer who also did the shed - the workmanship on the ship looks really good (it is a big shed) so I can only assume the house roof is the same quality.

The house has two bedrooms with flat roofs and I suppose I could just look for wet patches but we have loads and loads of downlights/transformers in the roof space so would rather get at it before it leaks.

Best to get someone in to check it out after say 10years or do they last much longer than that ? Also is it worth getting the flat roofs coated in some of that elasticy flat roof paint - will it add life to the roof ?

Thanks
Old 06 October 2005, 09:27 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bakerman
Bought a house last year which has had its flat roofs done early 2002 by a local legit roofer who also did the shed - the workmanship on the ship looks really good (it is a big shed) so I can only assume the house roof is the same quality.

The house has two bedrooms with flat roofs and I suppose I could just look for wet patches but we have loads and loads of downlights/transformers in the roof space so would rather get at it before it leaks.

Best to get someone in to check it out after say 10years or do they last much longer than that ? Also is it worth getting the flat roofs coated in some of that elasticy flat roof paint - will it add life to the roof ?

Thanks
Lifespan will depend on the materials used. I have recently have had some flat roofing done by a legit company and they have guaranteed the work for a number of years. Off the top of my head I can't remember how many but it is either 10 or 20, and that was on the cheaper version.

So I suggest speaking to the legit builder and asking him how long it should last. He might have even guaranteed it!
Old 06 October 2005, 09:32 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

My mam's house has a flat roof for the kitchen, it used to be the garage down the side of the house and was converted, the flat roof lasted for about 20years and it was a few years ago it was leaking and collapsed (she wanted a new kitchen anyways lol), it still has a flat roof and looks like it will last another 20 years so they aren't too bad.
Old 06 October 2005, 11:43 AM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bakerman

Thanks
As already mentioned, usually 10 years is about the lifespan, but i know people who leave them 20 years before doing anything.. not sure if that is too wise though.
J
Old 06 October 2005, 12:13 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

It depends on the material - a good quality single ply membrane roof will last in excess of 25 years, and even a felt roof (if fitted properly) should do 20 years without a problem.
Old 06 October 2005, 12:16 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I would say 10 years, at my mam's it was left 20 years and was a right disaster, went out shopping one day and came home to the roof on the floor, whole place was gutted, took about 2-3 months altogether to get the roof done and a new kitchen fitted, my Dad was a joiner, carpenter, builder, and he wished he hadn't left it as long as in the long run it cost alot of money, what is on now should last a while but will get looked at after 10 years as my mam doesn't want a repeat of what happened.
Old 06 October 2005, 01:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As above realy...by the time you see water ingress in the rooms below the damage has already been underway for quite some time.

10 years is a good figure for a house roof - as its something you can't risk. For a garage/shed with no plasterboard on the ceiling covering the joists etc. (so when it leaks - you notice it immediately) you prabably can leave if for as much as 20years. The lifespan really does depend on so many factors you cannot be exact...from materials, workmanship, to location or damage caused by poeple working/walking on there, Sun, moss/grass, drainage and water run off slopes are all factors in this.
Old 06 October 2005, 01:28 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

We did the flat roof over our garage when we moved in as the original had been there for 27 years!! We didn't have a problem but a couple of neigbours who had houses built at the same time did so we did a group buy on the roofing in the road!!!