Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ebay virgin, considering taking the plunge...

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2005, 01:48 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay virgin, considering taking the plunge...

am yet to buy anything from e-bay despite being a member for ages (tried to sell a trailor ages ago with no success!)

am considering this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-i-pod-ipod...QQcmdZViewItem

but am worried, as a)v.cheap and b) only has feedback for buying stuff, and its all random stuff bought by the same people..

says he wants paypal, will this protect me in the event of him trying to f*ck me over?

plus how hard is it to set up a paypal account??
Old 05 October 2005, 01:53 PM
King RA
BANNED

looks ok to me. paypal is easy to setup.
Old 05 October 2005, 02:06 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

bargepoll 10ft
Old 05 October 2005, 02:33 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!

bargepoll 10ft
care to explain??

how does paypal protect me exactly??
Old 05 October 2005, 03:46 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a risk, only 3 feedbacks & none from buyers & the product is a US model (US mains plug, US warranty!). The price is less than UK cost, but it would be, being a US import. If you really must, buy using Paypal & use a credit card. You must be Paypal verified to be protected. However my advice is don't do it. If you must buy an iPlod, go through a regular online reseller but if you want good sound quality, go with iRiver or iAudio.
Old 05 October 2005, 03:46 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

eBay trading is based on trust. Its common sense really. I only ever buy from people who have a 100% rep and have made plenty of sales. If you're buying from some1 whois a 1st time seller and hasn't bought anything either, than I wouldn't bother with it. If they have bought stuff then again only go for ppl with 100% reps.

The guy in your auction hasn't sold anything before (on that ID), and only bought 6 things. I would start asking him some questions before u make a bid to make sure he seems legit. Having said that, the way his ad is worded and layed out, I would take a punt at it. Like I said, common sense.

Oh and if you ever lose an auction and get offered a 2nd chance, its usually a scam.
Old 05 October 2005, 05:08 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Be aware you will get no protection from Paypal even if you use your credit card to pay ! Also, paying by PP means you wont get his address, which you would if you paid by cheque or PO etc...

Its very easy for sellers to set up a new paypal account, after you pay they will empty the account, and your credit card company will find it very hard to initiate a chargeback, as it will be against paypal and not the seller - if paypal cant get the money back from the sellers account, then they usually tell the cc company to get stuffed.

Ask yourself, why has this person suddenly got hold of a load of US spec ipods ? why have they used a standard website photo rather than taking a pic of the ACTUAL item, in its box etc...

Seller has been registered on ebay since 2002, then waited 3 years to buy or sell anything ?

Looks to me like its either a hijacked account ( quite possibly the paypal account that goes with it is also hijacked - the seller will hijack an account, get payments into it and use that money to buy other things off ebay, which get sent to a dodgy address so there is no trail ), or its a spare account setup by someone knowing they will be getting some neg feedback soon, and dont want it on their main account !

ipods are not exactly rare, and there are plenty of them on Ebay, so buy from a seller with better feedback who looks more legit - it may cost a tenner more, but you at least stand some chance of actually getting the item rather than kissing your money goodbye.