Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

the snow train, waterloo to the alps

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2005, 05:49 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the snow train, waterloo to the alps

going snowboarding again this Christmas but don't fancy driving down again, I certainly don't fancy flying with all the kit, and then a long transfer at the other end.

so, we are going to try out the Snow train which leaves from Waterloo (3 stops from me) and goes straight into the Alps overnight, so you can leave London on Friday night and be on the slopes Saturday morning.

just wanted to know if anybody had taken this journey already or if anybody's friends may have done this journey and what it was like. I've heard it called the party train?!

presumably it is not actually a sleeper train, and so any sleep you do get would need to be wedged up in your seat???

do they have resort transfer at the other end or do you need to arrange that yourself?

thanks in advance

ed
Old 01 October 2005, 05:58 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edcase
going snowboarding again this Christmas but don't fancy driving down again, I certainly don't fancy flying with all the kit, and then a long transfer at the other end.

so, we are going to try out the Snow train which leaves from Waterloo (3 stops from me) and goes straight into the Alps overnight, so you can leave London on Friday night and be on the slopes Saturday morning.

just wanted to know if anybody had taken this journey already or if anybody's friends may have done this journey and what it was like. I've heard it called the party train?!

presumably it is not actually a sleeper train, and so any sleep you do get would need to be wedged up in your seat???

do they have resort transfer at the other end or do you need to arrange that yourself?

thanks in advance

ed
if it's the snow train , then that is a sleeper but there is a disco carriage , you have to change at paris , if not ,it is just the normal TGV straight through to the alps , the latter train is awful . you can't sleep cos the seats are ****e and there is nothing to do . myself and friends are using the snow train in january , it is worth it though the 2 extra days on the slopes are great !!
Old 01 October 2005, 06:40 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
if it's the snow train , then that is a sleeper but there is a disco carriage , you have to change at paris , if not ,it is just the normal TGV straight through to the alps , the latter train is awful . you can't sleep cos the seats are ****e and there is nothing to do . myself and friends are using the snow train in january , it is worth it though the 2 extra days on the slopes are great !!
it's the former. Soounds fun
Old 01 October 2005, 11:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

There are NO sleeper trains out of Waterloo, not one. If it's a sleeper, you're going to have to change somewhere, Lille, Paris, I dunno. No-one has any sleeper cars that can go through the tunnel. We did have, but successive governemnts let the rail companies off running them, and they are now all either in store on an Army base somewhere down South or sold to Canada.

The only "Snow Train" I know of is a re-routed Eurostar from Waterloo to, I think, Chamonix.

Alcazar
Old 01 October 2005, 11:49 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

There are these, definitely not straight to the alps.

Choice of going to Folkestone and then getting the Snow train from Calais (Not sure how you get there though because there is no passenger train from Folkestone - ferry maybe?)

Other snow train is from Paris, so if you don't like carting ski gear in airports you are going to love transferring from Gare du Nord (Eurostar from Waterloo) to Gare de Lyon.

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/snowtrains/
Old 02 October 2005, 12:01 AM
kwaky
Scooby Regular

I've taken the Eurostar from Waterloo. Changed in Paris Gard du Nord to Gard de Lyon. Then took the overnight to Buorg St. Moritz.

The whole thing was pretty painless. The transfer in Paris is only a few stops on one Metro line. There's usually a load of Brits wielding their snow equipment. The train to the south of France was pretty Pikey in second class. Each cabin holds 6 berths, and the frenchies are up all night running up and down the train. Get a few beers in and your fine.

Transfer with a bus at the far end, takes you straight to the resort for a few Euros.

Great for a long weekend, and definitely maximises slope time.

D
Old 02 October 2005, 05:33 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kwaky
I've taken the Eurostar from Waterloo. Changed in Paris Gard du Nord to Gard de Lyon. Then took the overnight to Buorg St. Moritz.

The whole thing was pretty painless. The transfer in Paris is only a few stops on one Metro line. There's usually a load of Brits wielding their snow equipment. The train to the south of France was pretty Pikey in second class. Each cabin holds 6 berths, and the frenchies are up all night running up and down the train. Get a few beers in and your fine.

Transfer with a bus at the far end, takes you straight to the resort for a few Euros.

Great for a long weekend, and definitely maximises slope time.

D
Nice one, thanks. How far do you need to walk during the transfer at gare du nord? I will likely only have a high roller and a rucksack, and maybe a camera bag...
Old 02 October 2005, 09:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Train>>>>>metro, approx 500m, Gare de Lyon metro>>>>>train, approx 500m

Alcazar
Old 02 October 2005, 10:50 PM
kwaky
Scooby Regular

Exactly... the longest distance you'll probably walk is down the Eurostar

I had a backpack and a boardbag slung over my shoulder.

The trickiest part is getting the boardbag through the gates on the Metro. But there's usually a queue of folk stuffing their kit through a baggage whole, it'll fit, so don't worry.

D
Old 03 October 2005, 07:20 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

AFAIK this is a direct train to Avignon
Old 03 October 2005, 09:11 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I'm sure I went direct form Waterloo to the Alps several yeasr back. I didnt organise so the details are hazy but i dont rememebr changing.

Definately wasnt a sleeper. And defauintely didnt get much sleep !. Lots of drubks around
Old 03 October 2005, 10:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nigel H
AFAIK this is a direct train to Avignon
No, not Avignon, it goes to one of the Alpine resorts, but can't remember which one.......

Alcazar
Old 03 October 2005, 10:05 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
No, not Avignon, it goes to one of the Alpine resorts, but can't remember which one.......

Alcazar
bourg st maurice (for la plage, tignes, les arc etc)
Old 03 October 2005, 10:42 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Ahhhh - Bourg St Maurices rings a bell for me . We were in Tignes so that all seems to tie up for the train I took.