Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The good old NHS......

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2005, 05:43 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down The good old NHS......

As you may be aware, I was involved in a motorcycle accident last Friday and as a result of this my Doctor recommended physio.

Anyway, the Doc no longer refers you for outside treatment, there is a "direct access" scheme which I just found out about

I phoned the physio department to self-refer, and was met by an answerphone promising a return call within 2 days....

I was called back by a young lady who appeared less that interested in my mundane ailments....... The upshot of it all is that now, you get your first physio assessment on the bloody phone!

She spent about 20 minutes "triaging" me over the phone, all the while she kept repeating questions, as her mind was obviously on more interesting topics than my aches and pains.

So, as a result of my "in depth" consultation, I've been told that all I rezlly need is a leaflet telling me what exercises I can and cannot do, and if I'm still having trouble in 4 weeks, I've to call back, at which time they'll see if I need a "personal" appointment. Oh yeah, that'll take another 4-8 weeks to come round.

So, from Doctor's appointment till first "real" physio appointment could be three months! Thank god my head isn't hanging off!

Cue the anti New Labour brigade!
Old 30 September 2005, 05:49 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Angry

know how you feel (sort of!!)

bit minging but went to Dr's with ingrowing toe nail which is getting more and more painfull by the day, said to wait for an appointment for the minor operation, so i did, came through, 'some time after december' !!!

they are having a laugh!! i'm in agony and cant run/play sport or even walk properly!

know its a fairly minor thing, but you would not believe the pain!!!!!

plus it looks gross!
Old 30 September 2005, 05:59 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I recently had a letter from my local NHS hospital asking me to ring them to see if I still wanted an appointment as my Doc had written to them in April 2002. Thats a 30 month wait.

Wonder if Tony Blair would had to have waited as long as that.

Chip
Old 30 September 2005, 06:50 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Cure for in-growing toe nail :

1. Take a large volume of alcohol (not enough to blur your vision) or non prescription narcotics, you know your limit.
2. Use a stanley knife blade between thumb and forefinger, cut away puss ridden, oozing skin and any nail you can get to.
3. Scream like wounded rhino for a bit, colourful language may be needed.
4. Clean up with warm water and a little hurt like **** juice (TCP) and cover with bandage or the like.
5. Leave to heal up for a week or so, or start at step 1 if growing persists.

HTH

Edited to say, i'm not joking i've done it myself and i'm playing footie tomorrow
Old 30 September 2005, 11:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's actually called "choose and book" AFAIK. Some NHS places may call it "partial booking"

All new referrals to me (I am a Consultant but it could be physio, hearing aids etc) go "live" on january 3rd 2006.

This means that when you are referred to me for a consultation you are given 16 days to ring a call centre for an appointment. When you call you will be given the low down on your referral and the choice of 4 places where you can go ( one may be private).

If you don't ring in you have 5 extra days before being "lost"

Tont Blair has said that "Choice" is not just for the wealthy.

Ohh... did I mention you have to ring a call centre for an appointment. This could be in the Uk ................or maybe not !!

By 2012 (apparantly) this will apply to ALL appointments.....even to see your local Doctor / Dentist !!

Midlife.....