Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do other drivers do these things?

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2005, 03:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Why do other drivers do these things?

Scene 1: a nearly deserted dual carriageway, at night. You're doing 70, (it could be 80, it could be 60, makes no difference). You see headlights in your rear view mirror, and they are catching you at a rate. What do you do? You check your speed is within the limits, and keep an eye on the car behind, right?

What does he/she do? Comes up behind you, then stays there. For miles and miles. You slow, he/she slows. You speed up, he/she speeds up. WHY??????????

Scene 2: Crowded dual carriageway, daylight. You're in the outer lane, doing 70, or so. Ahead of you are a couple of lorries in the inside lane, with a car behind them, apparently happy to do 60, because he/she has been there ever since you spotted them about a minute ago.

As you get closer, no move from the other car, until...............as you are almost on top of him/her, he/she suddenly appears to wake up, ask him/herself "Why am I still behind these lorries?" and moves out, causing you to have to brake. WHY????????????????

Am I missing something, am I alone, or does theis happen to others too?

Alcazar
Old 29 September 2005, 04:02 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
What does he/she do? Comes up behind you, then stays there. For miles and miles. You slow, he/she slows. You speed up, he/she speeds up.
I always assume these people are unmarked police cars, hoping that I'll blast off into the distance so they can nick me.
Old 29 September 2005, 04:04 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Scene 1: a nearly deserted dual carriageway, at night. You're doing 70, (it could be 80, it could be 60, makes no difference). You see headlights in your rear view mirror, and they are catching you at a rate. What do you do? You check your speed is within the limits, and keep an eye on the car behind, right?

What does he/she do? Comes up behind you, then stays there. For miles and miles. You slow, he/she slows. You speed up, he/she speeds up. WHY??????????
You're in the outside lane for no reason perhaps????
Old 29 September 2005, 04:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cupramax
You're in the outside lane for no reason perhaps????
Very good

Nope, I'm in the inside lane, like the good boy I am

I thought of the unmarked too, but slowing or speeding, no effect!

Alcazar
Old 29 September 2005, 04:27 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The one time this happened to me it was an unmarked police car...
Old 29 September 2005, 04:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
The one time this happened to me it was an unmarked police car...
ALWAYS at the front of my mind, hence the IMMEDIATE check on my speed etc.

Alcazar
Old 29 September 2005, 04:51 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Scene 2, generally cos they are idiots, (IMHO) who are completely unaware of their surroundings, and how to safely overtake and drive. They (possibly) give a fleeting glance in the mirror, but not notice anything or take anything in and then assume that because they have indicated it is an automatic right to pull out, regardless of the car / lorry bearing down on them at a faster rate. Then continue at approx 1 mph faster than the vehicle that are trying to overtake. See it every day on the way to work and the way home and has heppen to me several times!
Richard
Old 29 September 2005, 04:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I can see this, but WHY do they ALWAYS seem to wait to pull out until another car is overtaking too? Safety in numbers ?

Alcazar
Old 29 September 2005, 05:11 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

No idea, lack of confidence in driving ? Lack of proper driving tution ?, Personally think identifies that we need to get away from the antiquated pass your test once and never have to do any more driver training idea.
Constantly amazes me how many people can not overtake properly and can not judge the speed of an approaching vehicle and work out how to complete the overtaking manover without casuing anyone to adjust their speed.
Richard
Old 29 September 2005, 05:20 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

probablt trying to f**k with your mind...
Old 29 September 2005, 05:56 PM
TruthHurts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ted Maul
probablt trying to f**k with your mind...
Ted is correct, I regularly do stuff like that, merely to annoy other people. My current favourite is speeding up when they try and overtake me. This is usually done in a foreign reg'd car when I'm in the UK so it's double the fun if you try and do it around known GATSO's, SPECS etc.

Another good one you haven't mentioned is the old "pull in harshly and then liberally use the windscreen/headlight washers" trick. Always annoys people.

While I'm on the subject another mind **** is to park your car in a very desireable space, then go out to it at peak times and 'play' with the car like you're going to leave it. Of course you don't and if anyone asks "I'll be 5 minutes pal" then **** off inside and see how long they sit and wait for. We even had a sweepstake on the time in the office it's such good fun.
Old 29 September 2005, 06:18 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Scenario 1 - She maybe thinking that YOU are a policeman.
Old 29 September 2005, 06:47 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

I (in the past) have slowed down so much (abut 45 mph on the M11) that they got pissed off and overtook me (which of course allows a check for unmarked police cars). You can then proceed to pull the same trick on them (or blast past if you're in the mood), might make some people think about what they're doing, then again maybe not

Last edited by RJMS; 29 September 2005 at 06:48 PM. Reason: pselling
Old 29 September 2005, 08:02 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Recently did a 360 mile motorway journey and was amazed(and angered!) at the number of people who drive along in the middle lane even though there not overtaking anything. Even when they were being overtaken by cars who then returned correctly to the inside lane, these people would not move from that middle lane-WHYYYYYY! Does anyone know-could the police actually prosecute them for driving without due care and attention? Some were actually causing tailbacks not to mention many angered drivers!
Old 29 September 2005, 08:38 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattvortex
Recently did a 360 mile motorway journey and was amazed(and angered!) at the number of people who drive along in the middle lane even though there not overtaking anything. Even when they were being overtaken by cars who then returned correctly to the inside lane, these people would not move from that middle lane-WHYYYYYY! Does anyone know-could the police actually prosecute them for driving without due care and attention? Some were actually causing tailbacks not to mention many angered drivers!
I quite often travel up a 4 lane section of the A1 at less than busy times and actually find that this kind of behaviour reduces the boredom of traveliing at (sort of) legal speeds. I often swing from lane 1 to lane 4 to overtake someone who thinks that they are travelling at sufficient speed to occupy lane 3 with absolutely nothing inside them, and then swing right back into lane 1 (obviously only when safe to do so).

I can imagine what some of them think - but as far as I'm concerned I am obeying the rules and they are not, just occasionally some one takes the hint and moves over but this is very rare. I appreciate that on a busy three motorway the same scenario can become immensly frustrating. As can a queue of 65 mph traffic in the outside lane on a two lane motorway with nothing in the inside.
Old 29 September 2005, 08:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mattvortex
COULD the pigs prosecute? Yes.
WILL they? No, it's too much trouble to stop someone, book them etc, when you can just sit behind a camera and get 10 people in the same time.. It's ALL about revenue!

Alcazar
Old 30 September 2005, 08:34 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Scenario 1 - She maybe thinking that YOU are a policeman.
PMSL!
Old 30 September 2005, 08:51 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My pet hate at the moment is similar to scene 2: people in lane 2 who are catching up the car in front and have the choice of braking themselves or diving into my path when there isn't sufficient room and forcing me to slam on

And why do some people think 1 flash of their indicators can suspend the laws of physics?
Old 30 September 2005, 09:01 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
And why do some people think 1 flash of their indicators can suspend the laws of physics?
know what you mean!
it must be a cloaking system to leave surrounding vehicles in suspended animation until the "flasher's" manouvre is complete.
the middle lane thing annoys me too!
Old 30 September 2005, 09:01 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
My pet hate at the moment is similar to scene 2: people in lane 2 who are catching up the car in front and have the choice of braking themselves or diving into my path when there isn't sufficient room and forcing me to slam on

LOL! you're right, i cover about 1000 miles per week on all different roads, and the amount of this stuff i see is unreal!!
and that 4 lane stretch of A1, i've done the swing out swing in thing up there too!
i did my hgv test in the army and the quality of instruction is so much better than on civvy street coz they are covering their *****, i reckon a couple of motorway lessons should be compulsory!!!!

rant over!
Old 30 September 2005, 10:21 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

on a roundabout indicating to come off.

Ive noticed that if i indicate to turn off the next left or right at a mini-spot, people think that gives them the edge & time to pull out. either way im coming across your path so fnucking dont!
Has the highway code changed recently that priority to traffic coming from the right ON the roundabout & is actually infront of you no longer applies????...

edited: great CoRnErInG
Old 30 September 2005, 12:59 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Scenario 1 - On very long motorway trips I tend to stick to the same cars around me. Suppose its a bit of familiarisation and sort of company when you're on your own. Especially when at a constant speed of 85-90 on a motoray which seems to be the de facto cruising speed. When youre following another car which is also doing 90 youll stand less of a chance getting nicked.

Agree with the lane hoggers too. As stated above by somebody else I also pull from the inside lane to overtake then sharply pull back into the inside lane.
Old 30 September 2005, 02:53 PM
TJG
Scooby Regular

My favourite is still the people who drive along a 60 limit road at 40 when it is clear and safe to drive faster, then continue to maintain their 40 through the 30 limits in villages. Crazy. They're usually followed by a train of cars who's drivers seem quite happy with the 40 mph, but are insistent that others must not queue jump ;-) and so drive as close to each other as possible.
Old 30 September 2005, 03:22 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TJG
My favourite is still the people who drive along a 60 limit road at 40 when it is clear and safe to drive faster, then continue to maintain their 40 through the 30 limits in villages. Crazy. They're usually followed by a train of cars who's drivers seem quite happy with the 40 mph, but are insistent that others must not queue jump ;-) and so drive as close to each other as possible.

AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! Hate it, hate it, hate it!
Old 30 September 2005, 03:23 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TJG
all too common i'm afraid!

there was an article in the essex chronicle last year referring to a potential county-wide 50mph limit in national speed limit zones on single carriageways. it's pretty sad that when referring to the "national speed limit" sign, they put in brackets afterwards "(white circle with single diagonal black line which means 60mph on single and 70mph on dual carriageways)"
Old 30 September 2005, 03:31 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TJG
Or as happened to my mum, overtake you in a 30mph limit in the village, in this case a really narrow road with not very good visibility, then continue at 40 in the NSL outside the village and applaud sarcastically when she overtook them on a wide straight NSL road. Some people just haven't got a clue...
Old 30 September 2005, 03:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by TJG
What annoys me is that these are EXACTLY the kind of people who -if you try and over take them when they're doing 40 in a 60 zone- will hurl abuse at you (poinless as most Impreza drivers won't hear them over the exhaust ) or do something dangerous to try and stop you getting past! I've lost count of the number of times that's happened to me!

NS04