Novice e-Bayer and paypaller - some advice

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2005, 10:45 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novice e-Bayer and paypaller - some advice

Hi
Just sold two items (Churchs shoes) on ebay, my first two. Both buyers are in Italy.

I have just set up an Paypal account as well. The values are £ 175.00 and £ 75.00 and i am keen not to be scammed or loose the money or items. Not saying these people are conmen but it would rarther err on the side of caution.

Both buyers are new to E-Bay as well so not any history to go on as such but then again nor have i so you have to start somewhere.

Is Paypal safe? If the money is put into my PP account can it be removed by anyone else, say my buyer for instance without my consent. How quickly does it appear and how soon can i transfer it into my own bank account from the PP account
or
Would i be wise to ask for a cheque instead?

Is there anything i should look out for?

Thanks

Paul
Old 19 September 2005, 10:46 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mods
Please move this to NSR!

Paul
Old 19 September 2005, 10:53 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

The money that you receive into your PayPal account is just like a bank account. It is "safe" as nobody is allowed to remove it. However, just like all bank accounts, there are a few expections.

In the event of fraud, the amount of fraudlulent money in the account CAN be removed.

There are a few potential scams here. The buyer pays for the item with his credit card, and then receives it. He then lies and says that it never showed up, and does a charge back through his credit card company. eBay and PayPal often just give up and return his money without consent.

The only way you have to fight this is to prove that you posted the item. In your case, that is International Signed for delivery. You must keep proof of postage, as this will be your only means to fight a chargeback should they attempt one.

I do not think that receiving a cheque will be any safer. The buyer could send you a fake cheque. You pay that fake into the bank, the bank will accept the cheque and you will receive your money. However, a month or two down the line, the bank will realise that the cheque was a fake and will simply remove funds from your account to that value.

Its a great banking system we have isn't it

My vote is for Paypal, more likely to face an attempted scam, but easier to fight off (just imo)
Old 19 September 2005, 10:57 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that and i think Paypal is a better option.

I have advised the buyers that i will be using RM's International Signed For' servixce to ship the goods so thst should cover me regards the goods not arriving.

paul
Old 19 September 2005, 11:00 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

It will cover the goods not arriving, but scammers always seem to manage to come up with something There was someone on here recently where they say that they received the parcel, but that the parcel did not contain the goods that they paid for

Cannot remember the outcome of that thread....cannot find it either
Old 19 September 2005, 11:49 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Paul,my advice would be to only sell items in the UK.That way there is less chance of any delivery problems,or someone trying a scam.As a buyer i'd be reluctant to buy from abroad,so as a seller i'm a bit suspicious of buyers from abroad.
For larger value items i still prefer a cheque,its still a tried and trusted way of paying for things.Smaller value,say under £80,paypal is good because its so convenient.The other thing about paypal is the charges to the seller are quite high.I recently sold something for £13 and the charge was 71p.

cheers
Paul.
(ebayer of 5 years)