Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going to America - best way to convert £s to $s...?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2005, 06:36 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to America - best way to convert £s to $s...?

Off to Texas at the end of the month and was wondering if anyone here has experience of the best way to get the most out of the £/purchase things over there exchange right wise etc.

There's the usual options of cash and travellers cheques, using my switch/credit cards to withdraw from ATMs once over there but know I'd be charged for this.

Just hoping people have some tips so I can make the most of my money over there!

Thanks in advance...

Dan.
Old 13 September 2005, 06:59 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Nationwide bank dont charge for using their cards, so get an account with them and a visa credit or debit card.

I don't use travellers cheques, I have before and found them a pain in the *** to cash with poor rates. I just take cash when I go abroad, a bit risky but things don't go wrong that often!

Ideally a combination of a decent amount of cash and 2 cards in case one gets swallowed or lost.

Last edited by Richard_P; 13 September 2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 13 September 2005, 08:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

And tell your bank/credit card company you are going abroad. Otherwise you may find they stop your card when they see several purchases come up in america.

Simon.
Old 13 September 2005, 08:40 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

nationwide deffo dont charge you

I normally take $500 cash, and when i need some more i find a cirrus machine and draw some out. Failing that it goes on the plastic.
Old 13 September 2005, 09:00 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

If your off to Texas make sure you take your I.D. no matter how old you are, (unless your in your forties) even so i was refused booze once even though i had my licence, i had to have a Texas state licence.

Where about in Texas you going?
Old 13 September 2005, 11:17 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
If your off to Texas make sure you take your I.D. no matter how old you are, (unless your in your forties) even so i was refused booze once even though i had my licence, i had to have a Texas state licence.

Where about in Texas you going?
Thanks for the replies. Yea I was looking at the Nationwide cards today and thinking it's probably wise to get one of those to use over there fee free. Don't really want to open an account with them on the debit side of things so may just take a good amount of cash over to keep in the safe in the room and just use for basic spending and nights out then wherever possible pay for things like shopping, meals etc etc on the card. May be the best combination.

I'm 29 so would be pretty shocked if I got ID'd over there but cheers for the tip. I'm going to Austin for a couple of weeks.
Old 14 September 2005, 12:55 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan J
Thanks for the replies. Yea I was looking at the Nationwide cards today and thinking it's probably wise to get one of those to use over there fee free. Don't really want to open an account with them on the debit side of things so may just take a good amount of cash over to keep in the safe in the room and just use for basic spending and nights out then wherever possible pay for things like shopping, meals etc etc on the card. May be the best combination.

I'm 29 so would be pretty shocked if I got ID'd over there but cheers for the tip. I'm going to Austin for a couple of weeks.
You should definetely take your I.D even if your 29, take your drivers licence with you every time you go for a beer - trust me you wont get served otherwise. i'm 32 and i got asked for it every where i went.

Austin is great, if you want great live music try the continental club or if proper yeeharrwing is your thing try the Broken Spoke www.brokenspokeaustin.com - dont knock it, it was a right good old giggle. Austin centre has fantastic nightlife - too many bars to mention, the most are on 6th street (i think) good 'un's are the Red Fez, Fado's Irish bar and it is really safe as well.

If you want somewhere good to eat if you like Mexican (nothing like the crap over here) try Chuy's really cheap and fantastic value for money.

Countless BBQ's where you just turn up and fill your plate with meat,

You lucky swine i wish i was going back

Have a good 'un
Old 14 September 2005, 01:06 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Damn that's crazy about the ID thing! I know the legal age is 21 over there but ID'ing you at 32?!! Guess they're all a pretty poor judge of age!

Yea really looking forward to getting over there now. My cousin's lived over there most of his life so I've got the bonus of having him and his mates there to take me to all the best places to go. Always helps! I've heard a lot about 6th St and the Warehouse District, the lakes and that the food is great there plus v cheap with it. One of the main things I'm looking forward to as well is that I'm told the girls over there go a bit crazy for the English guys! I'll be milking that for sure!!
Old 14 September 2005, 08:30 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Damn that's crazy about the ID thing! I know the legal age is 21 over there but ID'ing you at 32?!! Guess they're all a pretty poor judge of age!

Yea really looking forward to getting over there now. My cousin's lived over there most of his life so I've got the bonus of having him and his mates there to take me to all the best places to go. Always helps! I've heard a lot about 6th St and the Warehouse District, the lakes and that the food is great there plus v cheap with it. One of the main things I'm looking forward to as well is that I'm told the girls over there go a bit crazy for the English guys! I'll be milking that for sure!!
Well that is certainly true!!!

I met a girl in Austin and she came back to England for a while heh heh

Mate you wont fail in Austin i guarantee it!!!
Old 14 September 2005, 02:52 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Music to my ears!

Seems I've left it to late to get the Nationwide card. They can't assure I'd receive it by the 25th. What great service!
Old 14 September 2005, 04:37 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Call me cynical if you will but I bet Nationwide give a really cr*p exchange rate to make up for their lack of fees. That's usually the way it works with the places advertising no commission for currency exchange.

Just fools the non-savvy customer into thinking they are getting a good deal as they don't really take note of the rate offered compared to other banks/bureau de change, e.g. bank A: £1 = $1.5 no commission, bank B: £1 = $1.58 and 5% commission.
Old 15 September 2005, 04:23 AM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Call me cynical if you will but I bet Nationwide give a really cr*p exchange rate to make up for their lack of fees. That's usually the way it works with the places advertising no commission for currency exchange.

Just fools the non-savvy customer into thinking they are getting a good deal as they don't really take note of the rate offered compared to other banks/bureau de change, e.g. bank A: £1 = $1.5 no commission, bank B: £1 = $1.58 and 5% commission.
You get the Visa set exchange rate which is better than bureau de change. We use our Nationwide CC in the USA all the time
Old 15 September 2005, 03:22 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwi
You get the Visa set exchange rate which is better than bureau de change. We use our Nationwide CC in the USA all the time
I thought this would be the case but good to hear anyway.

Went into Nationwide today and opened a current account and got the credit card. Just hope all the cards arrive in time now. This way I can transfer some money into the current account and draw from it fee free over there using the debit card plus purchase things using the cc fee free too. Seems to be the best bet.
Old 15 September 2005, 03:45 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Austin is a great city, my company has its manufactuing based there, hence I get to go every now and again.

Hot as hell, but if you head over to lake travis things cool off and there are some great bars there. 6th street, the Bats, and yeah some of the women love the British accent.

I'm jealous, wish I was going back.

Rgds
neil
Old 15 September 2005, 03:54 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I thought this would be the case but good to hear anyway.

Went into Nationwide today and opened a current account and got the credit card. Just hope all the cards arrive in time now.
Wouldnt hold your breath! I applied for a nationwide cc almost a month ago now...... havent heard anything and they seem to have 'lost' my application when i enquired .
This is despite me being a nationwide customer for 21 years and applying in person in branch...
Old 15 September 2005, 03:59 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sport160
Austin is a great city, my company has its manufactuing based there, hence I get to go every now and again.

Hot as hell, but if you head over to lake travis things cool off and there are some great bars there. 6th street, the Bats, and yeah some of the women love the British accent.

I'm jealous, wish I was going back.

Rgds
neil
Yup I keep hearing nothing but good things about it over there. My cousins lived in and around Texas for most of his life and is now in Austin. He's been on at me to go over for ages now as he says I'd love it so I'm finally getting around to it! But what do you mean some of the women love the accent, I wanna be hearing they all do...!!!
Old 15 September 2005, 04:01 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
Wouldnt hold your breath! I applied for a nationwide cc almost a month ago now...... havent heard anything and they seem to have 'lost' my application when i enquired .
This is despite me being a nationwide customer for 21 years and applying in person in branch...
Now that doesn't fill me with hope! I couldn't have stressed to the girl enough I need it by next Sat and she assured me it takes a maximum of 10 days. I'll be kicking up a stink if it's not!