Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Road Angel 2 Whats the general View??

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2005, 06:35 PM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Road Angel 2 Whats the general View??

Guys and Girls

Thinking about getting one and was wondering if any of you folks have them and whats the general view on these?

Your views would be appriciated before i spend a few quid

Craig
Old 13 September 2005, 06:42 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

hi craig
had mine now for 8 months
works very well
not yet gone off outside shops(auto doors)
am selling mine though to upgrade to latest
sat nav version

budgie
Old 13 September 2005, 06:45 PM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Does it do as it claims and pick up mobile lasers etc?
Old 13 September 2005, 07:28 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Craig Mac21
Does it do as it claims and pick up mobile lasers etc?
Yes it does, but then they've already got you and it's too late!!! It may as well say: you're nicked sunshine!!

I have one and it works very well. A RA mini will only set you back £199 now, too.

NS04
Old 13 September 2005, 07:37 PM
Patriot
Scooby Regular

Guys and Girls

Thinking about getting one and was wondering if any of you folks have them and whats the general view on these?

Craig
Had mine for 3 months and sold it on Ebay, bought a Mio 168 pocket pc with TomTom navigation software <cough> supplied by a friend. The pocket pc has all the fixed/mobile cameras although the Road Angel has the advantage of laser recognition but as someone has said before if you pick it up then it's too late youv'e been clocked.
One thing I did notice is I tended to drive within speed limits and watched my speed all the time as the MPH is accurate compared to the speedo.
Wouldn't bother with one mate.
Old 13 September 2005, 09:00 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Guys and Girls

Craig
I what get one if not for the 399 average price tag

Still waiting for the price to drop.............
Old 13 September 2005, 09:02 PM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

They are 349 now

See here

http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/new-road-angel-gps.htm

Craig
Old 13 September 2005, 09:19 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Technology has advanced in the past year and alternatives have become available - e.g. SatNav systems.

Unfortunately, I feel the RA2, and other detectors, are 'now' over-priced. A SatNav with camera sites can be had for less money.

I'm expecting delivery of a soon to be released SatNav test unit which is going to be priced at £199, within the next day or so.
Old 13 September 2005, 09:26 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I love my RA2, despite having TomTom with the camera databases onboard. The RA2 just sits there in the background, you forget about it most of the time, and it only makes its presence known when needed.

It doesn't go off outside shops, as mentioned above, as it doesn't detect radar; it locates fixed speed traps and detects laser- although too late as pointed out above.

Although I have several other options for speed trap detection, the RA2 is the only one that has stood the test of time.
Old 13 September 2005, 09:58 PM
Craig Mac21
Scooby Regular

Highlander

Can you point me in this direction?

pm or email me

Craig
Old 13 September 2005, 10:10 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Costco sell the navman icn510 premium for £280, buy that and add the camera points of interest and you have a speed camera detector and sat nav.
Road angels and the like are old hat now.

dipster
Old 13 September 2005, 10:17 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

I used to have an Origin B2 in the scoob.

For the 911 I'm going to try the new Road Angel Compact (£199)
Old 13 September 2005, 10:35 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Can you point me in this direction?
Which direction?

I can't direct you in the £199 direction as they're not yet available.
Old 14 September 2005, 12:00 AM
Garion
Scooby Regular

for what its worth ive got an RA2 & a Navman ICN520 with camera poi. round my neck of the woods the RA gets every camera well in time & only warns you of a camera if its able to get you ( ie gatso behind you, truvelo in front etc ).

With the Navman camera POI, they just have locations so you get warned when you approach, leave or just get near one. Plus the camera locations can be a bit off.

With regards to the laser detection, agreed, if it goes off too late they've got you, but there is a good side .example : One night bout 10.30pm i was driving down a very straight bit of road from stonehouse to glos, totally pitch black no streetlights nothing.
Im the only car on the road, the limits 60mph and thats what i was doing.

Quarter the way down the road the RA goes nuts! i jump out of my skin & start peering into the darkness wondering what the hells going on. Sitting in an entrance to a farmers field is a police car with a cop peering over the passenger window pointing laser gun at me. Moral of story, if i hadnt had a RA i wouldnt know i was being targeted and i might have strayed plus i now know my local police like to hang out on that bit of road in total darkness. not much help but it gives me some piece of mind.

cheers Andy
Old 14 September 2005, 08:45 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Garion
for what its worth ive got an RA2 & a Navman ICN520 with camera poi. round my neck of the woods the RA gets every camera well in time & only warns you of a camera if its able to get you ( ie gatso behind you, truvelo in front etc ).

With the Navman camera POI, they just have locations so you get warned when you approach, leave or just get near one. Plus the camera locations can be a bit off.

With regards to the laser detection, agreed, if it goes off too late they've got you, but there is a good side .example : One night bout 10.30pm i was driving down a very straight bit of road from stonehouse to glos, totally pitch black no streetlights nothing.
Im the only car on the road, the limits 60mph and thats what i was doing.

Quarter the way down the road the RA goes nuts! i jump out of my skin & start peering into the darkness wondering what the hells going on. Sitting in an entrance to a farmers field is a police car with a cop peering over the passenger window pointing laser gun at me. Moral of story, if i hadnt had a RA i wouldnt know i was being targeted and i might have strayed plus i now know my local police like to hang out on that bit of road in total darkness. not much help but it gives me some piece of mind.

cheers Andy
Very true, it does at least give you an idea of where they're hanging out for future reference and stops you from straying over when they're in the vacinity. Also if the car in front of you is targeted you may get a lucky deflection and sufficient advnace warning to slow down a bit, but you can't rely on it.

I've noticed that since I've had mine, I've been much more attentive of my speed as it's more visible than the speedo and more accurate.

As Nevetas said, the RA compact is now available for £199.

NS04
Old 14 September 2005, 11:52 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Very true, it does at least give you an idea of where they're hanging out for future reference and stops you from straying over when they're in the vacinity. Also if the car in front of you is targeted you may get a lucky deflection and sufficient advnace warning to slow down a bit, but you can't rely on it.
I've not seen a policeman with a laser gun for at least two years in our area. Roadside vans are the only thing I've seen for that time. Therefore, I've never had my RA give a warning.
Old 14 September 2005, 02:26 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I've been using Road Angel and the tomtom Sat Nav software (with points of interests) for about 6 months now. I had the intention of selling the Road Angel after having trialled the SatNav.

To be honest they both do different jobs, the satnav does NOT pick up every camera but the road angel does.

I dont care if I get lost, just as long as I don't lose my license while trying to make up for lost time.

Therefore Road Angel wins.