Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How many Coppers does it take

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2005, 12:01 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How many Coppers does it take

to operate a hand held speeding device in Beeston ?

Answer = 6 *******

Absoulte fookin disgrace, my lad has had 2 bikes stolen last week both times called the police within minutes, only to be told here's a crime number an officer will pop round in a couple of days for a statment, WTF why bother i ask myself, yet today went down Wollaton Vale in Beeston and there were 6 yes 6 fooking coppers all huddled (probably playing hide the sausage) next to a lamp post, oh and 1 had a hand held speed gun.
No wonder crime is on the up, when all they can be bothered to do is target motorist yet again......w@nkers
Old 13 September 2005, 12:12 AM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Am not even gonna go there
Old 13 September 2005, 06:58 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Its difficult for the general public to have a high opinion when this is what we all see. Mainly the only contact we have is a speeding ticket or telling us that they are so short staffed they cant help us out in a crisis ............... but heres a number for your insurance company.
On two occassions I called to report fly tipping, not interested ..............
Old 13 September 2005, 08:25 AM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Could they not be training......Maybe?

Traffic Officers wouldn't normally take reports of stolen bikes. There job is to Police the roads. Just a thought.
Old 13 September 2005, 08:34 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Understand your feelings Dazza but I have to agree with Mal in that they could have been a) training and b) they are traffic police whose job is to police the roads.

Unfortunately they appear to have more of a presence than bobbies on the beat so people just get to see traffic police most of the time and start on how they have nothing better to do than catch speeding motorists (which is a crime so they are somewhat justified ).
Old 13 September 2005, 09:04 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

This is in Notts, yes?

Notts Chief Constable = waste of space!!!

Ask him why, when Nottinghamshire has one of the highest rates of sreet crime in the country, some of the highest rates of murder, mugging, robbery, burglary, rape and gun crime, that it ALSO has some of the highest density of speed cameras, and speed traps?

And weren't Notts the first authority to trial forward facing cameras, SPECS, red-light cameras, and even wanted to trial the tailgating camera?

I THINK the guy seriously needs a lesson on prioritising

Alcazar
Old 13 September 2005, 09:20 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

I love how they think they're ****in Robocop when they have the handheld gun held up to their eye.

Serve the public trust, protect the innocent - UPHOLD THE LAW!
Old 13 September 2005, 10:00 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Well if everyone stopped speeding for a year, it would free up more police for proper duties

Thankless job being in the services
Old 13 September 2005, 10:12 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Well if everyone stopped speeding for a year, it would free up more police for proper duties

Thankless job being in the services
Which is a greater priority, nabbing Mr. 36 in a 30 (I personally witnessed 4 police people this week standing on a 30 road with the gun as if it was their new toy.) or as stated previously, utilising them for more serious crimes such as robberies/assault etc?
Old 13 September 2005, 10:17 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Let's put it this way, my 84 year old Grandma was victim to sexual harrasment (sick I know) by someone who was supposed to be from "Care in the community" (he was 25 btw). It took the police 3, yes, 3 days to send someone out to interview her. So when I see 4 police on the side of the road where I know for a fact there have been very little in the form of accidents (i live there). Oh, but it changes from 40 to 30 on this stretch of road so they see it as a perfect opportunity to "catch" the criminal in action. Give me a ****in break *** rot.
Old 13 September 2005, 10:18 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

For traffic police, I would guess that nabbing someone for 36 in a 30 was more important as it's their job

Just because the officers have been given a role, don't persecute them. It's the people at the top that need sorting that need to know that they would be better allocated to more serious crimes. I still stand by my comment that if people didn't speed as much, then maybe they'd realise they could reallocate some of these officers to duties that would help combat more serious (in people's eyes) crimes.
Old 13 September 2005, 10:21 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rik1471
Let's put it this way, my 84 year old Grandma was victim to sexual harrasment (sick I know) by someone who was supposed to be from "Care in the community" (he was 25 btw). It took the police 3, yes, 3 days to send someone out to interview her. So when I see 4 police on the side of the road where I know for a fact there have been very little in the form of accidents (i live there). Oh, but it changes from 40 to 30 on this stretch of road so they see it as a perfect opportunity to "catch" the criminal in action. Give me a ****in break *** rot.
Well that's the way to hold a constructive discussion isn't it Is Wayne Rooney your hero perchance?

Why did it take the police 3 days? Probably because more manpower had been allocated to other resources such as traffic. Why? Possibly because there are more motoring offences committed than any other crime, so they are allocated on a ratio basis. I don't know though, I'm only guessing.

I agree that what happened to your gran was disgusting, but does that warrant a personal attack on me because I'm putting across a different point of view? Would you be happier if you were involved in a RTA and the police didn't turn up for hours because there weren't any traffic police? It's all subjective and it's the people that receive poor service that are quick to slag them off.
Old 13 September 2005, 10:23 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

saw a fit blonde police-woman walking the beat the other day which was a pleasant suprise
Old 13 September 2005, 10:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Probably because more manpower had been allocated to other resources such as traffic. Why? Possibly because there are more motoring offences committed than any other crime
Yes there is.

Do you know how many vehicles are being driven without insurance, MOT Tax or even a licence?? Sure the DVLA closed the loop holes to anyone who poesses a v5 (but that doesn't matter to the countless people never bothered ).

They may not speed. They may not cause obvious traffic offences. But these drivers are the most dangerous ones out there on the road.

A laser speed gun will never catch them

Nor will a DVLA camera van...as it's operated by civvies
Old 13 September 2005, 11:10 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Well that's the way to hold a constructive discussion isn't it Is Wayne Rooney your hero perchance?

Why did it take the police 3 days? Probably because more manpower had been allocated to other resources such as traffic. Why? Possibly because there are more motoring offences committed than any other crime, so they are allocated on a ratio basis. I don't know though, I'm only guessing.
So catching ten people speeding is more important that catching a potential rapist?
This is the whole problem the police are too busy with the easy targets,
revenue generation, to do some real police work.
But didn't you say earlier that it's the traffic police's job to police traffic offenses? if this is the case why should non traffic officers and resources be diverted to deal with the traffic crime epedemic that is gripping the country?

Seems that a certain PUBLIC SERVICE has it's priorities a bit messed up
Old 13 September 2005, 11:26 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Where did I say catching ten people speeding was more important????

Because the police force now appear to be driven by statistics to prove they are doing a good job there inevitably will be some easy targets to boost figures.

Non traffic officers are probably being diverted to traffic (I assume with training) because there are (possibly, I haven't checked the figures) more traffic offences committed than others. Yes they are an easy target, but then so many offences are committed by motorists. If motorists stopped committing those offences, there wouldn't be as much need for the number of traffic police. If the ratio dropped, there would be less requirement for the number of traffic police and they could be retrained to handle proper crimes.

What you need to remember is that it's not the police that you see that make the decisions, it's the people high up and in government. It's those people that need to be lobbied to make a change.

The other problem lies with the magistrates handing out lenient sentences. There is no real deterrent to a lot of crimes these days, which is why some people take the chance.

I wish it was as black and white as many of you seem to think, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it's not
Old 13 September 2005, 12:07 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

You said
"Why did it take the police 3 days? Probably because more manpower had been allocated to other resources such as traffic"
so in that case traffic offenses have a higher priority than catching a potential rapist.

I agree that it's the government that makes policy but it's down to local constabulary management to determine how that policy is actioned.

The government and police in the UK have ignored there own investigations into causes of road accidents etc and have decided that speeding is the easiest way to a) generate revenue b) Make their crime rate figures look good.

If the Police were against such policy then why are they not speaking up.
A member of my family who was a seargant in the West Sussex Constabulary recently emigrated to Australia and is now a member of the Melbourne Police. One of the main reasons for leaving the country was "Policing in this country is no longer about protecting people, it's about getting as much money as possible, safe guarding their own jobs and controlling the poeple"
Old 13 September 2005, 12:17 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Completely agree with the last comment, but then I think most people would want to safeguard their own jobs. I know a couple of police folk who do their job but abhor the current system and the way it's being implemented from the top down

Something needs to be done, but it's certainly no easy task
Old 13 September 2005, 12:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

One of the main reasons for leaving the country was "Policing in this country is no longer about protecting people, it's about getting as much money as possible, safe guarding their own jobs and controlling the poeple"
Completely agree, and, as I put it in an earlier post, "the police, since Thatcher and under Blair, have become bullies, enforcers and tax gatherers for whichever governemnt is in power. "

I am of the age group that OUGHT to support the police down the line. Unfortunately, I don't know of ANYONE who does now, and everyone mentions the "speeding" campaign when complaining about them.

Perhaps those who make decisions at a local level need to wake up and smell the coffee? After all, a lot of police work relies on public support............

Alcazar
Old 13 September 2005, 12:52 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Hanslow - forget it mate. You will never make anyone on here understand anything that they dont want to. If they want to hate the police, let em get on with it.
Old 13 September 2005, 12:52 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

For traffic police, I would guess that nabbing someone for 36 in a 30 was more important as it's their job

Just because the officers have been given a role, don't persecute them. It's the people at the top that need sorting that need to know that they would be better allocated to more serious crimes. I still stand by my comment that if people didn't speed as much, then maybe they'd realise they could reallocate some of these officers to duties that would help combat more serious (in people's eyes) crimes.

then again if you target at 36 and....sfunnny everybody is doing 35 then no one gets caught

but unfortunatly you forgot to add the bit about daily targets for nicking drivers......

then that asks the question..... what happens if you dont have any speeding drivers that day / week / month???

would you tell the bosses that, or ?????????

visual deterrant / coppers on the beat... traffic cops in cars, no probs what soever....

remote policing / cameras / changing statue to suit yourselves, sorry no respect due or given....

if you dont like the policy laid down what happened to telling your boss??

M
Old 13 September 2005, 01:08 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
if you dont like the policy laid down what happened to telling your boss??
Nothing Whether or not he/she listens and acts upon it though is a completely different matter I'm sure we all have experience of the middle management vacuum and top management saying they listen but doing the opposite. Whether that is what is happening I don't know.....

Originally Posted by mart360
but unfortunatly you forgot to add the bit about daily targets for nicking drivers......
Unfortunately the copper at the bottom is in the firing line for doing his job which is dictated from above. If it's in your job description to do something and you are told/asked to do it, it gets done. You could lodge a grievance but in the mean time you get on and do your job because that's what you are paid to do.

I'm sure a number of the force at the lower levels would agree that their time could be better spent if the system allowed for it and if the magistrates were more severe.

Last edited by Hanslow; 13 September 2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 13 September 2005, 02:04 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Angry

Reason im so pi$$ed after seeing 6 of them with 1 speed gun, and there weren't traffic cops either, is because over the past 15mths my family has been the victim of crime (as the police put it) 10 times.
Wife & children in car hit head on by woman texting, police recover phone with the message still on there = No action taken classed as RTA- yer right

Son + 2 mates beaten up and robbed of watches and mobiles phone by 4 blokes in a car.
All 3 boys pick out the bloke that got them in a line up 5 mths after the event = Again no action taken because each boy only identified the person who beat them up= what a crock os ****

8 Bikes stolen worth well over 2.5k stolen since last sept, 6 bikes were locked up and moniterd by CCTV clearly showing a bloke cutting the locks off and talking the bikes, 2 of the bikes left unlocked so there down to us
Police contacted each time and everytime all they do is give us a crime ref number and say someonr will pop along in a few days

And you lot wonder why i pi$$ed off when i see 6 Police opffices ******* around with speed gun, lets say if i'd caught one of the ******* who beat my lad up or nicked one of the bikes, and beat the **** out of him, you can cet your last pound the the ******* coppers would be straight round then to arrest me

POLICE FORCE MY ******* AR$E YOUR NO MORE THAN A RESPONSE FORCE NOW, well thats if you can be bothered to attend it.

Last edited by Dazza01; 13 September 2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 13 September 2005, 02:31 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Dazza, can't you write a letter of complaint? I know a lot of the police force would like to see tougher punishments brought in for the crims, but the PC (as in do gooders) brigade appear to have stuffed that one as it'll infringe on their human rights. A bit right wing maybe, but IMHO, they have forfeited some (or all) their human rights when they stepped outside the law. Obviously each case would need to be taken on its merit, which is where this would fall down as that means time and paperwork, but I certainly feel that tougher punishments need to be brought in.

For a start, they can remove the pool tables, playstations, TVs, etc. from the prisons and put them back to doing proper prison service.

Sounds like you certainly have had a hard time of it (and I've followed some of your posts about it in the past, particularly your poor lads being picked on and having bikes stolen) I used to work in Beeston and didn't know it to be that bad. Unfortunately for us, we were a victim of crime (theft) the other night and I know there is little chance of catching them, despite the police probably knowing exactly who did it. I doubt they would get a tough punishment either so would just repeat offend

Last edited by Hanslow; 13 September 2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 13 September 2005, 02:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by alcazar
This is in Notts, yes?

Notts Chief Constable = waste of space!!!

Ask him why, when Nottinghamshire has one of the highest rates of sreet crime in the country, some of the highest rates of murder, mugging, robbery, burglary, rape and gun crime, that it ALSO has some of the highest density of speed cameras, and speed traps?

And weren't Notts the first authority to trial forward facing cameras, SPECS, red-light cameras, and even wanted to trial the tailgating camera?

I THINK the guy seriously needs a lesson on prioritising

Alcazar
Unless, of coure, his priority is making money! In which case, he's bang on!!
Old 13 September 2005, 02:40 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
Reason im so pi$$ed after seeing 6 of them with 1 speed gun, and there weren't traffic cops either, is because over the past 15mths my family has been the victim of crime (as the police put it) 10 times.
Wife & children in car hit head on by woman texting, police recover phone with the message still on there = No action taken classed as RTA- yer right

Son + 2 mates beaten up and robbed of watches and mobiles phone by 4 blokes in a car.
All 3 boys pick out the bloke that got them in a line up 5 mths after the event = Again no action taken because each boy only identified the person who beat them up= what a crock os ****

8 Bikes stolen worth well over 2.5k stolen since last sept, 6 bikes were locked up and moniterd by CCTV clearly showing a bloke cutting the locks off and talking the bikes, 2 of the bikes left unlocked so there down to us
Police contacted each time and everytime all they do is give us a crime ref number and say someonr will pop along in a few days

And you lot wonder why i pi$$ed off when i see 6 Police opffices ******* around with speed gun, lets say if i'd caught one of the ******* who beat my lad up or nicked one of the bikes, and beat the **** out of him, you can cet your last pound the the ******* coppers would be straight round then to arrest me

POLICE FORCE MY ******* AR$E YOUR NO MORE THAN A RESPONSE FORCE NOW, well thats if you can be bothered to attend it.
Just about everything you've slagged the police off for in this post is down to the CPS being crap, and nothing to do with the police.

Unless the CPS are 110% sure of a conviction in court they won't risk prosecuting. It's as simple as that, and the reason there's so much slag on the streets committing crime after crime and laughing at the system.
Old 13 September 2005, 03:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Just about everything you've slagged the police off for in this post is down to the CPS being crap, and nothing to do with the police.

Unless the CPS are 110% sure of a conviction in court they won't risk prosecuting. It's as simple as that, and the reason there's so much slag on the streets committing crime after crime and laughing at the system.
Wouldn't disagree with THAT point of view either

But try and beat the system as regards SPEEDING fines, and see what happens...........you'll be chased from pillar to post for every last penny, and more

And don't even get me started on ******* getting warnings and conditiona;s when motorists get large fines for first offences, EVERY time!

Oh but it's not about revenue generation, is it?

Now let's see: fine for damage to someone's shed, house, bike or car? Conditional, or £50 or so, or 40 hours community service etc.
Fine for damaging speed camera? Lucky if you don't go away sir, and the fine will be HUGE!

Alcazar
Old 13 September 2005, 04:56 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Dazza, can't you write a letter of complaint?
We did after the car crash to a Inspector at HQ in Arnold, we got what looked like a std letter in return appologising for fact that we felt that we had been let down by the officers, but they still only classed it as a RTA because the text hadn't been sent ? so it could be argued in court it was to be sent later, but we said only half the text was written, but hey ho it wasn't recorded so no proof

Fatherpierrie, thats probably true but its the police who are on the front line and if they did just that bit more when **** happens then the CPS might actually get of their ar$e and do there bit.

but finishing on a lighter note, ive now just finished building up Adam's new bike

Old 13 September 2005, 05:55 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I keep reading certain people defending the police in question saying ''they are probably traffic police doing this''. This could be very true, but would it not appear then that we have far too many traffic police, and not enough 'other' police then? Did they really join the force to stand there catching people doing 36 in a 30?????
Old 13 September 2005, 08:24 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steffiraf
Hanslow - forget it mate. You will never make anyone on here understand anything that they dont want to. If they want to hate the police, let em get on with it.
No. You as a Police Officer need to listen to some on here.
I am one of the older ones here.
I don't speed, I travel the roads of this country a lot more slowly than I did 10 years ago.
I don't commit crime, I pay my taxes.
Yet, and I've said this before, when crimes have been committed against me and my family, the Police have been useless.
I now see the Criminal Justice system of this country as more concerned about the criminal than the victim.
The Police are colluding in this.
If I, as a middle aged, middle class person have this view you know the whole system is in a mess.
I would now never help the Police and in the past I have.
You are the lackeys of an increasingly totalitarian Government.

Last edited by Vegescoob; 13 September 2005 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Spelling! Don't tell the Muppets.

Quick Reply: How many Coppers does it take