Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Brown blames Opec for fuel crisis

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2005, 04:04 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brown blames Opec for fuel crisis

just been reading the bbci website and i see he's now blaming everyone from opec themselves to the chinese for the high fuel prices and has dismissed the idea of cutting the tax at the pump to ease the price hike personally i wouldn't put him in charge of my sons piggy bank let alone running the countrys finances. why can't we have a government that listens to the people and acts in their interests instead of ignoring the people who got them in there in the first place. the sooner we get them out the better as far as i can see. there has to be another party who can do a better job there has to be.
Old 11 September 2005, 04:06 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

WHO THEN?????
dave
Old 11 September 2005, 04:25 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Why am I not surprised by this. But you cant blame me, I didnt vote Labour. And I NEVER will!
Old 11 September 2005, 07:27 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Err, well the duty hasn't gone up, the price of oil has. So he's right to blame opec, increase supply.....prices come down.
Old 11 September 2005, 07:30 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

umm BUT as petrol has gone from 79p -> 97p here in a matter of months brown has enjoyed a nice windfall considering it is taxed at 80%. so even if he cuts duty he will still claw in the same amount of tax.
Old 11 September 2005, 07:40 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

You didn't honestly expect him to do something to help out the silent majority did you?
Old 11 September 2005, 07:47 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

why the government need an 80% slice of all petrol sold seems a bit daft compared to other countries.

Either way, if the goverment reduced the 80% down to something we deem reasonable they'll find a way of making it up somewhere else.

They obviously wish it was higher than 80% because they keep finding new ways to tax us and putting more money into their coffers.
Old 11 September 2005, 08:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

HE'S got a nice windfall in VAT which IS rising as the price of fuel rises, the fuel companies are making a fat profit too.

It ought to be noted that the yanks have suspended fuel tax and the french government have put pressure on the oil companies forcing them to LOWER their profit to keep pump prices down.

Meanwhile Lying Labour do what? Nothing as usual, laughing all the way to the bank.

Alcazar
Old 11 September 2005, 08:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

He needs a sedgehammer blow to the head...if that don't knock sense into him...at least he won't be able to do much more harm afterwards
Old 11 September 2005, 09:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right you foookin thick inbreeds!!

Labour has NOT added any tax to petrol ........

There is a FIXED amount of duty applied, about 72p of each litre? ... note the word FIXED!! you thick, dozy *****!!

VAT is levied at 17.5% as it is on everything else!!

The government could cut the 72p portion, it's too difficult to change VAT .... but even that would mean parliment had to agree it ....... as it agreed and approved the amount.

We live in a democracy - so changes need to be put through due process

And, as for it being Labours fault???? Only a complete idiot would think THAT!!

Pete
Old 11 September 2005, 09:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

A democracy means the goverment responds to the publics wishes....erm yeah, like that happens, sounds more like dictatorship to me

The Fixed amount of taxation has ALWAYS been too high, they are far to dependent on fuel tax as a source of income. If expendature wasn't squandered like it is then maybe they could do what the French or US do and LOWER it

It's been Labour's fault since they were put into power....Still I don't mind...bring on the recession

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 September 2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11 September 2005, 09:20 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Right you foookin thick inbreeds!!

Labour has NOT added any tax to petrol ........

There is a FIXED amount of duty applied, about 72p of each litre? ... note the word FIXED!! you thick, dozy *****!!

VAT is levied at 17.5% as it is on everything else!!

The government could cut the 72p portion, it's too difficult to change VAT .... but even that would mean parliment had to agree it ....... as it agreed and approved the amount.

We live in a democracy - so changes need to be put through due process

Pete
As a life long conservative supporter it pains me to say it........

WELL SAID MR LEWIS !
Old 11 September 2005, 09:32 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Pete
What's all this about? Labour know damn well the majority think that fuel tax is too high but have done nothing to reduce it for years. As said before, France and the US are helping their citizens out by doing something to counter the high prices - not so in the UK. Labour put up all the speed camera's too.

I blame New Labour .
Old 11 September 2005, 09:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye
What's all this about? Labour know damn well the majority think that fuel tax is too high but have done nothing to reduce it for years. As said before, France and the US are helping their citizens out by doing something to counter the high prices - not so in the UK. Labour put up all the speed camera's too.

I blame New Labour .
The majority think that do they???

Hmmmmm, and lets hear where you would extract the lost tax from (this should be fun!!) ....... go on, where does it come from??? and no tossy, easy, poxy answer like cut costs!! The costs are what we have, work with them!!

So?? where does the lost tax come from???????????????????

Pete
Old 11 September 2005, 09:47 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

The majority think that do they???

Hmmmmm, and lets hear where you would extract the lost tax from (this should be fun!!) ....... go on, where does it come from??? and no tossy, easy, poxy answer like cut costs!! The costs are what we have, work with them!!

So?? where does the lost tax come from???????????????????

Pete
1. Start taxing aviation fuel - zero tax at the moment, people choose to go on holiday (many don't have a choice but to use their cars) and damage to the environment justifies it if applying the same logic as done with the motorcar.
1. Increase tax on alcohol - this will reduce the binge drinking problem we have.
2. Increase tax on designer items - Items costing hundreds of pounds in pure mark-up can be taxed higher than 17.5% in my opinion.

Just ideas - sure they could find other ways - but also really do think expenditure needs to be cut (resisting the urge to discuss the benefits and immigration systems for now).

What do you think of those three suggestions?
Old 11 September 2005, 09:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Fine ..............

You're still about £33BILLION short .............

Carry on ....

Pete
Old 11 September 2005, 09:49 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

yep me too and i agree about the dictatorship post as well some of us like to control our actions and thoughts but it seems some of us (pissy pants lewis) like to be controlled and have no say in what effects their lives or how it's run they seem to like the fact that if someone says we all have to jump off a cliff they will be at the front telling us what a good idea it is. well some of us are not sheep we have our own thoughts and ideas and this might be a crazy idea but a lot of the thoughts and ideas are a lot better than what the new labia have come up with,
so hows about the forums members creating their own party and giving new labia a run for their money im sure we could make it work
hows about "subaru imprezas against labour" or sial for short
Old 11 September 2005, 09:53 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Angry

Fine ..............

Carry on ....

Pete
Kick all the coonts out of the country - Problem solved
Old 11 September 2005, 10:10 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Fine ..............

Carry on ....

Pete
Staggering the amount of money they have off us isn't it?

Always amazed when I look at just how much money I hand over when all is considered. Really do struggle to think of how even a tiny fraction of that gets returned to me or the people I care about through 'services' provided. No trouble listing the many things they spend on that I disagree with or really couldn't care less about though.
Old 11 September 2005, 10:37 PM
Skitz
Scooby Newbie

Fine ..............

Carry on ....

Pete
Stop the freeloading people who refuse to work. I'm not talking about those who are Genuinly claiming benefits. Having 13 children does not give you the right to get £60,000 per year from those who actually work and pay taxes! That will knock another few million off.
Then try those who have never worked for the last 20 years, but manage to spend 12 hours a day in the pub. I work and I can't afford to do that time in a week. Another few million saved.
Get the CSA sorted out they burn more money in management surveys on how bad they are doing, and not helping those who actually need the money, and would be willing to get back to work rather than take state benefits. Another few million
Reduce the ammount that ministers can STEAL from us the public, the tax payers, their constituants! They are milking the public dry to fill their own pockets, to buy their second and third houses, employ their wives as secretaries on huge wages, do we actually know if they do any work! Make them accountable for receipts, they don't actually have to say where to or from what time or when a taxi was because it might compromise security... Bollox
Thats your 33 billion sorted

Last edited by Skitz; 11 September 2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11 September 2005, 10:44 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

for any of those interested read this site and download the poster for the car www.lesstaxonfuel.co.uk
Old 11 September 2005, 10:52 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I think one point that has not been raised is that the other countries, which have lower fuel duties, still manage to get the money that they need from their tax system.

Yes, it must come from somewhere, its just a question where. I really disagree with such a massive tax that effects people who are just trying to get to work, or those while live in the country.

I really do feel that there are fairer ways of getting the money that we need...and no I do not have to list them.

Our services are a shambles, and we have so much waste in benefits and other areas. Other countries are managed to do significantly better than us, and have done for some time. They are also managing to do this with a lower fuel tax, and an overall fairer taxation system.

We need a brave government that is prepared to stand up, fix things, and tell us how much it is really going to cost. Sticking plasters are not getting us anywhere

Increasing income tax would be a good start, and kicking people off benefit.
Old 11 September 2005, 10:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I summed up Lum's and Skit'zs posts in a single word:...squandered

I'm sure pete remembers the squander bug...

Old 11 September 2005, 10:58 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

good old pissy, singing the labia manifesto like a tru sheep.

you forget billy could take it to £3100 a gallon, and pissy would still pay it and proclaim it good value....

its all part of the new labia indoctrination.. say it dosent exsist, lie , deny it, if we keep it up they will go away....

oh and to expand on your elegant choice of phrase pissy , i am neither thick, or an inbreed. but its clear that you come from the prescott school of tact and diplomacy..

swearing is a sign of poor schooling and inability to use vocabulary effectively.

what next a few fisticuffs pete..

keep on going, you just showing everyone what a sheep you really are..

its overpriced, and over taxed, and why is a essentail commodity subject to vat??

when billy screrws you into poverty pete will you still be kissin butt??

M
Old 11 September 2005, 11:47 PM
Skitz
Scooby Newbie

It's Skitz's Post in singular term
Old 11 September 2005, 11:52 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

PS LEWIS.""VAT is levied at 17.5% as it is on everything else....."" Correct me if I'm wrong but; isn't VAT on Fuel less than on other goods? We always charged at 5% IIRC in my old hardware store on paraffin.
I may be wrong , but I think that's the case.
Yve
Old 12 September 2005, 12:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Nope it's 17.5% and that's my whole point: as the price rises, (forget fuel tax for the moment), so does the VAT amount collected.

Lying Labour could do four things:

1. Cut the fuel tax by an amount which forgoes their VAT windfall.

2. Forgo their windfall from the sale of North Sea Oil,

3. Put pressure on the oil companies to forgo THEI windfall too, (as the French have done)

4. Stop wasting our taxation revenue interfering in American led disputes in other countries

Alcazar
Old 12 September 2005, 01:05 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Nope it's 17.5% and that's my whole point: as the price rises, (forget fuel tax for the moment), so does the VAT amount collected.
True, but the amount the government has to spend keeping things running also increases. They have to pay all those police, firemen, hospital workers etc increases, as well maintainence bills for equipement etc all increasing. It's not as simplistic as you are suggesting...

4. Stop wasting our taxation revenue interfering in American led disputes in other countries
I'm with you on that one...
Old 12 September 2005, 01:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Lying Labour could do four things:

1. Cut the fuel tax by an amount which forgoes their VAT windfall.

2. Forgo their windfall from the sale of North Sea Oil,

3. Put pressure on the oil companies to forgo THEI windfall too, (as the French have done)

Alcazar
5. Spend the money on healing the sick and teaching the children??

6. Give the pensioners a nice winter allowance??

7. Spend the windfall on other good causes??

I'll go for 5, 6 and 7 thanks all the same .........................

We can all afford to pay £3 a litre for our gas guzzlers - so, I say, shut up your bloody moaning and crying ya' bunch of girls blouses!!

Pete
Old 12 September 2005, 01:53 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

1. Start taxing aviation fuel - zero tax at the moment, people choose to go on holiday (many don't have a choice but to use their cars) and damage to the environment justifies it if applying the same logic as done with the motorcar.
I think thats a non-starter, unless you get every other country in the world to join in, and I'm not even sure if we could, there might be some world wide agreement in place?

I would imagine that if the UK could tax aviation fuel, then over a period of time, Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, etc. etc. etc. would become nothing more than airports to catch a ferry flight to France, from where you would get on another aeroplane which is flying on tax free fuel.

Quick Reply: Brown blames Opec for fuel crisis