ITV F1 Coverage (Spa)

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2005, 02:42 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down ITV F1 Coverage (Spa)

Bloody adverts.

Fed up with this. It's annoying at the best of times but to have gone to a commercial break and then return with Fisichella's car in the armco with no preceding coverage is unacceptable.

At least they got shot of Murray, but I suppose he was good for a "Colman-Ball" or six.

K.
Old 11 September 2005, 02:43 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Whose the new bloke presenting?
Old 11 September 2005, 02:46 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
Whose the new bloke presenting?
Angus someone, seen him before I think.

K.
Old 11 September 2005, 03:07 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

What happened to Jim "I know f**k all about F1" Rosenthal?
Old 11 September 2005, 03:11 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by carl
What happened to Jim "I know f**k all about F1" Rosenthal?
Ignorance and Apathy : I don't know and I don't care.

Prolly gone off to "know" **** all about some other sport.

K.
Old 11 September 2005, 04:27 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Rosenthal was offered a choice.

F1 at the best track of the year
OR
A boxing match in Cardiff.

Angus Scott did a reasonable job actually. Boring race though.
Old 11 September 2005, 04:46 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Boring race? Watching Schumacher getting shunted off always raises a smile. He was obviously upset, yet I'm sure in the past he's not been too averse to forcing people off the road when it's suited him
Old 11 September 2005, 05:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Murray Walker was one of the most knowledgeable and competent commentators we have ever had for motor racing.

Les
Old 11 September 2005, 05:20 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Rosenthal was in Cardiff yesterday for the boxing.

Chip
Old 11 September 2005, 05:55 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

And he's doing the Liverpool Champiosn League coverage on Tuesday night too. That Angus bloke does the World Rally Coverage and i thought he was quite good!! Also, Murray was way better than that greasy-haired bloke they've got now.

Lastly, they did show the build-up to Fisi's accident (and it's not armco by the way). The coverage on ITV is way better than it ever was on the BBC, the build up is better + the pit-lane crew of Ted & Louise are also excellent. They just need to sort out the actual racing now & it will be much better. Maybe the new series being launched soon (is it called A1 ? I cant remember) will be better with everyone having the same spec engines, tyres etc.
Old 11 September 2005, 06:06 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Murray was good for 40 years. Shame he went on for 50 (or however many) The last few years I found myself screaming abuse at the TV as he said here comes Michael Schumacher in the Williams. And other blatently obvious **** ups. I dont really have the same problem many have with James Allen. Hes pretty reasonable. Yes he is Ferrari biased. and yes it does show. But so what. He still manages to commentate, and he is enthusiastic about F1.

I agree though that people forget how AVERAGE the BBC coverage invariably was. We never had a hour build up before. And I think Ted Kravitz does an excellent job. Could do without Louise goodman though. Especially when her "interview" with Sato was exactly 1/4 of 1 sentace too short

It amazes me that people believe A1 will be great. In GP2 everyone has the same car, and the racing isnt that much better. It will be the same in A1. The only intersest I have in A1 is I know someone involved in car prep. You wont find me down at Brands, and we dont have Sky Sports so I cant watch the rest of the season anyway.
Old 11 September 2005, 08:33 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Nice positive post. To sum up.
Murray Walker was cr@p.
BBC F1 coverage was cr@p.
James Allen "reasonable", obviously high praise that.
Lousie Goodman is cr@p.
A1 will be cr@p.
GP2 is cr@p.

Well done, did you wake up on the wrong side of ed perhaps?
Old 11 September 2005, 08:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I always preffered the BBC coverage. No padding, No adds....and if you get fed up of Murray's blithering you could always switch to Eurosport

Non of the "padding" like ITV does, in a desperate attempt to make it interesting, which indeed it does (only because how boring the racing normally is now ) Brundell on the grid pre-race grabbing various top bods for interviews is far more intersting than the race itself - but they rarely say anything worth listening too as they are too tied up with their owns team's secracy etc.

Thinking about Eurosport - is it me or has since switching to digital so we only get "british eurosports" its gone down the toilet. The old "eurpoean" Eurosports wasn't afraid of showing some "alternative" sports, such as extreme offroading, tractor pulling...or that one when the Norwegians (or Swedes?) try and scramble up the steepest hill they find on whatever motorbike-derived transport they can find Now they just seem to show sports that they "think" would appeal to the British (i.e boring...doesn't involve enough petrol)....boo
Old 11 September 2005, 11:39 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Hello what about that fat-no hope b'stard Blundell's grid summary shouted at in some weird american stylee? Why has no-one mentioned that yet?
Old 11 September 2005, 11:56 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Thinking about Eurosport - is it me or has since switching to digital so we only get "british eurosports" its gone down the toilet. The old "eurpoean" Eurosports wasn't afraid of showing some "alternative" sports, such as extreme offroading, tractor pulling...or that one when the Norwegians (or Swedes?) try and scramble up the steepest hill they find on whatever motorbike-derived transport they can find Now they just seem to show sports that they "think" would appeal to the British (i.e boring...doesn't involve enough petrol)....boo
I agree, I used to watch eurosport all the time for the very same reasons (esp. the Rachau[sp] hillclimb, that was madder than a box of wombles).
Now all they have is the occasional tractor pulling event which is fun in a "Jah, I had zis spare gas turbine lyink about unt so I fitted it to mein tractor, it develops 160,000 lb/ft of torque. At ze wheels." sense, and the Dakar rally, but little else.
astraboy.
Old 12 September 2005, 09:10 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

James Allen is a ****!
Old 12 September 2005, 09:56 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken 275
Bloody adverts.

Fed up with this. It's annoying at the best of times but to have gone to a commercial break and then return with Fisichella's car in the armco with no preceding coverage is unacceptable.

At least they got shot of Murray, but I suppose he was good for a "Colman-Ball" or six.

K.
Not wanting to stickup for ITV, as I agree the coverage on a whole is cack. But there was plenty of coverage of fisichellas crash afterwards, they must of shown it at least 3 or 4 times, and then again for the race analysis at the end.
Old 12 September 2005, 10:01 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=astraboy]"madder than a box of wombles" [QUOTE]

nice
Old 12 September 2005, 10:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They have to accept what the local TV director is showing at the time so blame the Belgian network not ITV for any lapse in coverage such as Fisichella's crash. I think ITV have learned about showing adverts at the wrong time after the last debacle.

Les
Old 12 September 2005, 04:26 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

We didnt have Eurosport when they showed F1. But on the whole British Eurosport (1 and 2) covers pretty much everything I want. MotoGP, WSB and WSS, WRC, 16+ Hours of Le Mans this year.

Id also be interested as to why people have such a thing against James Allen. And may I just say that NOBODY may post anything from Sniff Petrols website. I think its a classic example of a) Internet Band wagon jumping and b) Its not Murray so whoever was put in to replace him would have been slated, EVEN Ben Edwards
Old 12 September 2005, 04:32 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by rr_ww
Id also be interested as to why people have such a thing against James Allen.
C'mon, open your eyes, they guy is a total **** jockey, just look at his haircut, and how he talks! Bellend!

What makes me laugh is how Brundell looks at Allen when he speaks, Brundell's face says it all, u can just imagine what he's thinking
Old 12 September 2005, 04:46 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

J Allen isn't always correct in what he says but at least he adds a bit of 'passion' and genuine exitement.

LOL at his hair though

Matt
Old 12 September 2005, 05:25 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by bioforger
What makes me laugh is how Brundell looks at Allen when he speaks, Brundell's face says it all, u can just imagine what he's thinking
I said NO sniffpetrol campiagn notes

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/AllenCampaign05.gif

"The guy is a jockey just look at his haircut." Well I have a stupid haircut, I'll even bet you do too Doesnt make me a numpty. Thats entirely separate to my hair I really dont have as much of a problem with him as most people.

Im not saying Id invite him round for Tea, but I cant be bothered to hate him
Old 12 September 2005, 07:27 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i love the breaks during the racing because they are more interesting than the racing. its turned to utter boring sh*t !
Old 13 September 2005, 08:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you were put into the commentator's seat Bioforger, you'd probably seize up within five minutes-if that much!

Les
Old 13 September 2005, 08:32 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

In all truth f1 is becoming . too many rules and regs.

f1 is suposed to be the pinacle of car technoligy development, yet it come in for a race then gets banned.

single set of tires? just down right takes the fun out of and also is dangerous!!! just look what happend to kimi on the last lap a few races back.

in my view, they need to dump all the rule, unlimited tires, unlimited car design, no traction control/abs/launch control. take it back to the machine and drivers instead of rules rules rules.
Old 13 September 2005, 09:36 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, given the choice of the very exciting, on the edge of my seat, nail biting wheel to wheel action with World Superbikes on Eurosport, or the boring F1 procession on ITV....no contest really.
The last time I watched a F1 race, I fell asleep, ....need I say more!
Old 13 September 2005, 09:48 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If you were put into the commentator's seat Bioforger, you'd probably seize up within five minutes-if that much!

Les
??? Well duh, seeing as I've never done any commentating you are probably right. Its not rocket science though

Anyway I'm not questioning Allen's commentating skills, I'm saying the guy is a ****! It's the way he talks, gets over excited at the smallest thing, jumps to conclusions without thinking which does my head in. The Montoya incident was a classic example of that. Before Allen had even seen the replay, he spouts out, 'Look Montoya has dropped it again!' idiot.
Old 13 September 2005, 10:07 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I think that James Allen is a gob****e; perhaps Murray Walker was too, he mustve been my kind of gob****e.....
Old 13 September 2005, 10:55 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ken 275
Bloody adverts.

I was over in Menorca at the weekend and had to watch the race on some dodgy spanish channel

Now apart from the fact that I couldn't understand the commentators (which made a nice change actually ) what I did like was that when they went to advert brakes they basically went to a split screen setup - the larger one showing the adverts and a smaller one which continued showing the race - now that I liked!!!!!

Am thinking of emailing the broadcast team over at ITV and seeing if it can be done

Cheers

Andy (Ex ITV / Carlton TV Employee )