Red face Wow - 10 people dead in 2 crashes - 9 teenagers or early 20's

[url http://uk.news.yahoo.com/08092005/14...car-smash.html /url]

What a waste of young lives!!!

Den
Old 08 September 2005, 11:28 AM
wrighty69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats younger drivers for you though, they are more likely to show off with thier friends. Is a shame though.
Old 08 September 2005, 11:33 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

that ok one less chav-to-be causing mayhem on the streets...

had a load lastnight, one in a flash bmw - how they afford it i dont know, one on a moped trying to keep up, knee to the floor as he GP Moto styles it round the corner so close on my side i would have driven over his head had i not stopped, then followed by a chavved pickup...
Old 08 September 2005, 11:35 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

It's appalling - I've said it before, but it bears repeating - 9 people die EVERY SINGLE DAY on our roads - that's well over 3000 people every single year. Why do people find that somehow acceptable? Maybe because we only actually hear about a tiny fraction of that number. And maybe because we can always make excuses for other people getting killed - "They were young", "They were old".

Until people really start to take responsibility for their driving and fully accept that it really can happen to them, things won't change.
Old 08 September 2005, 11:42 AM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
that ok one less chav-to-be causing mayhem on the streets...
Slightly harsh.
Old 08 September 2005, 11:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

That's the problem with drivers in this days and age...they don't realise they are responsible for the lives of their passengers and other road users as well as their own.
Old 08 September 2005, 11:59 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

slightly harsh? why? i would have ran him over had i not slammed my brakes on. I would have that on my conscience but all i had was a near heart attack & being very angry as the kid laughed & jeered as he swirved by!

kids need to learn & be responsible for their actions, driving tests need to improve. Attitudes need to improve
Old 08 September 2005, 11:59 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
That's the problem with drivers in this days and age...they don't realise they are responsible for the lives of their passengers and other road users as well as their own.
bollox! it's always been the same. amazing how peoples views change as they get older. I know people who have had close calls and having lived through it are better people and drivers for it. some people just don't get that lucky.
Old 08 September 2005, 12:15 PM
Reality
BANNED

So long as our beloved leaders attack the road safety problem with scamera vans alone young fools will continue to die on our roads.

I see the same ****** driving like ******* loonies everyday and nothing can be done about it. I once reported looney driving to the cops and was told that I'd need other witnesses etc.

Raise the minimum age for driving to 21 - would save hundreds if not thousands of lives !
Old 08 September 2005, 12:25 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

ISA would sort it out. The few *will* ruin it for the many.

It's the poor sod in the Ford focus and his family I feel sorry for.
Old 08 September 2005, 12:32 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
ISA would sort it out. The few *will* ruin it for the many.

Yes have to agree on that.

ISA would sort it, (and ruin it for others), but so would proper driver education and greater limits on young / inexperieced drivers such as displaying P plates for 2 years after passing test etc - Like in many other countries, Limit on the number of passengers etc. And the obvious of having a Police prescence on the road.
The nanny state needs to be disbanded and people in general needs to be made aware of their actions, and that driving is not a right and you are respaonsible for a machine that can very easily kill if improperly used.

Richard
Old 08 September 2005, 12:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I nearly got tboned by a numpty on a hairdryer... tried to take me on a roundabout, on the outside....

when he came within a micron from my bumper , i gave him a warning as to where i was...

the tw*at then decides to do stoppies all the way up the road whilst flicking the V,s at me...

common sense prevailed, and i turned off. onto another road......

i reckon i could have got him 50 ft futher along if i had timed it right though!!

Mart
Old 08 September 2005, 12:42 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has it occured to anyone that the Focus driver might have caused the accident?
Old 08 September 2005, 12:42 PM
lucylastic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
How do you know it wasn't his fault? It doesn't say how the crash happened, and while it's easy to naturally assume it would be the 5 young people in the peugeot, that's not necessarily the case.
Old 08 September 2005, 12:45 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lucylastic
How do you know it wasn't his fault?
I don't, but I know who my money would be on.
Old 08 September 2005, 01:04 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
slightly harsh? why?
Your comment was directed at the initial news story, if you recall.

Not knowing the facts about the accident, you jumped straight in with your 'one less chav-to-be' comment - pathetic.
Old 08 September 2005, 01:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Devasting news .............. anyone who have had their children getting into a car with other children will know how the parents of those kids feel!!!

These are 17 year olds, they are young and full of life, they are indestructable, they are fun-loving, they think they have the fastest car in town ................

Just like WE were when we were 17!!!

Pete
Old 08 September 2005, 01:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

The article doesnt say anything other than they were killed, they may well have been nice lads not arsing about at all, **** happens ?
Old 08 September 2005, 01:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
bollox! it's always been the same. amazing how peoples views change as they get older. I know people who have had close calls and having lived through it are better people and drivers for it. some people just don't get that lucky.
oops, I missed out that Important word "young"

But anyway, drive like prat on your own, fine (except for the innocent 3rd parties). But with four passengers is very selfish...or weak minded if they were goaded, depending on which way you look at it. But thinking about it a bit more now - even full grown male adults fall victim to this as well, so the "young driver" paintbrush may not be needed afterall.

You see it every Friday/Saturday night. As such a sweeping generalisation it is. It is true on too many occasions.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 September 2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08 September 2005, 05:11 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Lots of conclusions being drawn here.

No-one knows the facts so should leave it at that - the Focus driver may have fallen asleep at the wheel and had a head-on, both cars may have been racing each other, the 106 may have ben arsing about, and there are 100's more possibilities.
Old 08 September 2005, 05:24 PM
Reality
BANNED

Old 08 September 2005, 06:21 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G-STAR
Your comment was directed at the initial news story, if you recall.

Not knowing the facts about the accident, you jumped straight in with your 'one less chav-to-be' comment - pathetic.
completely agree, no matter what happened or what you think happened there's no need to abuse the dead. i'm amazed at what invisible has said, complete *****
Old 08 September 2005, 10:13 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Devasting news .............. anyone who have had their children getting into a car with other children will know how the parents of those kids feel!!!

These are 17 year olds, they are young and full of life, they are indestructable, they are fun-loving, they think they have the fastest car in town ................

Just like WE were when we were 17!!!

Pete
Ooh, this is very difficult for me to say but, WELL SAID PETE, it's all very easy to forget what we drove like at a young age, and i would'nt mind betting that 98% of us drove like idiots at some time, if not all the time. I know as we get older, we can see the error of our ways, but maybe we should be thankful that we got to be older, and not keep judging all young people, after all, that won't help them to become better drivers will it!
My sympathy is with all the innocent families who have lost a loved one.
Old 09 September 2005, 08:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We don't know the true facts of course so there is little point in speculating. It is a terrible tragedy.

I think STi Wanna and PSL are quite right if we are honest about our own experiences and maybe we were the lucky ones to get away with it.

DBW, it's not that many years ago when the average death toll on the roads was 20-30 a day, so we have improved at least.

Les
Old 09 September 2005, 08:29 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

if it turns out the kids were on their way to choir practice and the focus driver was some pissed up old drunk will the dicks on this thread retract thier comments?
Old 09 September 2005, 08:50 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by Reality
I see the same ****** driving like ******* loonies everyday and nothing can be done about it.
So this morning we're following a co-op delivery lorry into Aberdeen when pricko (who's sat 6 cars behind the Lorry) decides he's overtaking Lorry as we come out of a small village (40 zone) onto a straight (National Speed Limit).

All the other cars infornt of him are also gonna overtake - but pricko still goes for it - at one point there's three cars abreast heading toward the Lorry

Pricko ****s himself at the last minute and pulls in behind the truck - which is now behind a tractor and a couple of other cars.

You'd think that pricko would have learnt his lesson.

Oh - no. Next "manouvre" is to attempt to overtake the truck, the two cars and the tractor on a long sweeping (to the nearside) blind bend. Half way past the cars a bike appears and there's smoke everywhere - but pricko decides to carry on . The Biker was not impressed and was very nearly off. Had it been a car - well !

Later on in his journey he runs a red light as he's in such a hurry.

Hope this **** only takes himself out WHEN he gets killed !
Old 09 September 2005, 09:06 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Terrible thing to happen. Agreed we don't know the facts. When I was 17 I was in a nasty accident - 4 of us going to party when my mate lost it on country road bend. Ended up upside down in ditch. Guy in front passenger seat damaged his face badly but otherwise we were OK. A huge lesson learnt though.

I now have a 17 year old lad who should pass his test shortly. How the hell do I try and persuade him to resist peer pressure and drive sensibly, or not to get a lift home from someone who does show off? For a parent it is one of the biggest worries he/she has. In our patch there are 3 youngsters that we know about that are dead, at least two accidents were just going too fast/showing off incidents. Do I take my boy to the skid pan at Goodwood so he can learn more about controlling a vehicle or will that just make him think he can drive faster and cope? dl
Old 09 September 2005, 09:24 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by David Lock
I now have a 17 year old lad who should pass his test shortly. How the hell do I try and persuade him to resist peer pressure and drive sensibly, or not to get a lift home from someone who does show off?
It's a very tricky one indeed. Around here there's been about 30 deaths recently - pretty much all of them have involved youngsters - and a lot of them have involved kids not wearing seat belts .

The Police need to get involved and I think we need to have some shock tactics - I reckon it's time for accident scenes to be put up on bill-boards - and I'm talking the gruesome bits !

Yes we were all a bit reckless when we were younger - but my first car would have struggled to overtake a milk float and if you got it to 60 mph you were already off the cliff !
Old 09 September 2005, 09:46 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tiggs
if it turns out the kids were on their way to choir practice and the focus driver was some pissed up old drunk will the dicks on this thread retract thier comments?
You don't know how close to the truth you are, according to the mirror the driver of the Focus was a choirmaster.

Such a waste of life
Old 09 September 2005, 09:54 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Yesterday in a traditional tribute three boys and two girls who were friends of the dead youths poured lager from a can over the verge at the crash scene, promising those who had lost their lives "One for the road'."

I take it all back....sound like chavs.

Quick Reply: Wow - 10 people dead in 2 crashes - 9 teenagers or early 20's