Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Modern Cinemas vs old Cinemas

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2005, 08:59 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modern Cinemas vs old Cinemas

Being 34 I can remember Cinema's before they all turned into the monsters we have today, it may be me getting misty eyed but it was so much more of an occasion going to the cinema back then, for example

For a start they were always a bit over decorated, the foyer area especially and once inside the screens had massive, really musty looking velvet curtains that swung back and forth on a random basis, sometimes during the film. Our local one, instead of having 26 screens that all appear to be the same size, there was Major, Minor and Mini, the Major was huge, bigger than the modern screens, Minor was about 20ft across and Mini I think was a portable tv.

There was a bar so if you really wanted to, you could have a pint and no doubt regret it an hour later just as you need a p1ss and theres areally good bit, however back then they used to stop the film so you could have a slash or buy ridiculously overpriced ice cream from a woman with a refrigerated counter strapped to her chest (wonder how many claims went in for frost bitten **** ?).

The film was preceded by the usual adverts but also a short film, these were generally a bit random but usually fascinating, I remember one about scrapyards in America and I thought that was better than the film, remember there was no Sky tv back then and only 3 channels and BBC 2 appeared to be off 90% of the time anyway.

When the film was finished you were treated to an advert about the local Tandoori.

Its all a bit joyless these day, I do appreciate its about the film but there is a sense of being herded in an out as quick as possible, I suppose that at least the food has advanced a bit, to the popcorn and hotdogs, Nachos are now available, why not get a large portion, a bucket of coke and sit there try not to burp in case you burn someones hair off.
Old 08 September 2005, 09:11 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the phallic advert for the hot dogs...
Or " 'ere bert, this is the place"
Old 08 September 2005, 09:15 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

They also served coke in glass bottles with paper straws.

I loved our proper old cinema when younger, its been demolished and turned into a kwiky mart now or something.
Old 08 September 2005, 09:16 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Square cartons of Kia Ora and real sh1tty picture quality, Mint
Old 08 September 2005, 09:20 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

People smoking as well

You always got the old chap having a cigar and it stunk and covered the auditorium with a layer of smoke
Old 08 September 2005, 09:20 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Kia-ora, forgot about that, to simulat the carton stuff at home you had to use neat (no water) Kia-ora squash.

Paynes Poppets as well

The staff werent 'cast members', some were even over 30.
You actually saw the manager walking around

Have to say, the modern cinemas arent as whiffy.
Old 08 September 2005, 09:23 AM
TruthHurts
Scooby Regular

What about the cigarette smoke swirling in the light of the projectors, oil wheels and adverts for the local curry house?
Modern cinemas are rubbish, mobile phone conversations/ringtones and gangs of your stinking feral children talking during the film.
Old 08 September 2005, 09:27 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Hadn't thought about this before but your right.

I used to love going to our big old cinema and it all felt like a whole night out - i've only been to our 10 screen multiplex twice since it opened 5 years ago.

says it all really.

chop
Old 08 September 2005, 09:34 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Wasn't there a bit of a fuss made about subliminal advertising at one point?
Old 08 September 2005, 09:36 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I went to see the original Superman movie at a cinema in Southend (the ABC for anyone who remembers it) and at that point it was MASSIVE with an upper and lower tier, a few years later they split it into 2 cinemas which seemed like a shame. Now its completely closed.
Old 08 September 2005, 11:54 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Used to go to our old cinema once a week (originally Canon, the ABC, not sure what it is now - they stop showing after 8:00pm, so it's useless to me ). It didn't cost a small fortune, snacks were reasonably priced too. The big screen was absolutely huge with proper tiers on the rows of seating, so the person infront didn't opbstruct your view. Modern cinemas are just souless in comparison.
Old 08 September 2005, 12:00 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

How about the fact that they never used to kick you out? You could turn up in the afternoon and watch the movie 3 times on the trot if you wanted! My Grandad 'went missing' one Saturday - turns out he'd gone to the matinee, fallen asleep and they only woke him up to kick him out at closing time!

Then there was the fact that you could enjoy 2 movies at once - the one you'd actually gone in to see - and the soundtrack of the one next door!

And how about the really old screens that had a dress circle? I can remember watching the original Star Wars from the dress circle and being blown away by the writing coming out of the screen at the begining!

Oh - and what about - PEARL AND DEAN?????

Old 08 September 2005, 12:02 PM
Reality
BANNED

Used to have three shows a day and if you got in for the first one you could sit through all three - if you really wanted to .

Usherettes would show you to your seat - with their little torches.

And they were pitch black when the lights went down - none of this floor / ceiling safety light bollox

Throwing sweeties of the top tier into the stalls.

On the b-movies - I always remember one where a guy was doing a "bungy jump" off a bridge into a river whilst sat in a wheelchair
Old 08 September 2005, 12:09 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Has Pearl & Dean gone from Gerrards Cross? cant remember. If it isnt it only went just a couple of years ago as did all the other old classic ads they hadnt changed for centuries
Old 08 September 2005, 12:48 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
How about the fact that they never used to kick you out? You could turn up in the afternoon and watch the movie 3 times on the trot if you wanted! My Grandad 'went missing' one Saturday - turns out he'd gone to the matinee, fallen asleep and they only woke him up to kick him out at closing time!

Then there was the fact that you could enjoy 2 movies at once - the one you'd actually gone in to see - and the soundtrack of the one next door!

And how about the really old screens that had a dress circle? I can remember watching the original Star Wars from the dress circle and being blown away by the writing coming out of the screen at the begining!

PSML pear & dean,,,, i have that as a start and end to a film cd i burnt !!

Mart
Old 08 September 2005, 12:50 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

If you want a truly BIG screen go to the Odeon at Marble Arch. It's MASSIVE!
(and so are the ticket prices.)
Old 08 September 2005, 12:53 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

went to the local one in barnstaple or near there when on holiday......

run by locals for locals!!!!

it was men in black

get this.....

dolby stereo only!!!!!

7 people in the cinema in me & mrs me ......

the screen had a huge 6ft x 3ft repair in it which wasa fifferent colour to the rest of the tobacco stained screen.......

you had ashtrays on the seat backs,,, and the guy opposite sparked up,

so not one to miss out, i did to...... no one cared.....

spookey thing though... the girl in therow in front.... got up half way through,,,and went to the loo....... she never came back.........

and the only exit was past us ......

M
Old 08 September 2005, 01:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Have had that as my ringtone for ages now, if anyone wants it PM me, its MP3 so you need a recent phone.
Old 08 September 2005, 02:26 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Mmmmm, I remember old cinemas too, but I much prefer the experience you get today.

One thing I did think was good, was that you could come in half way through a film, and then just stay and watch the next showing! You'd get kicked out now.

I suppose old cinemas did have a lot of character, but then again, so have the **** stained drunks in the local park

Geezer
Old 08 September 2005, 02:33 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

One thing you have all missed out on so far. The smell.
I went to the old ABC in Staineswhen I was a nipper, which has now been demolished to make way for a billion screens job down the road, but I used to love going there because of the smell.
it would hit you as soon as you walked in the door. A super concentrated stench of sugar, popcorn and more sugar. It must have been in the carpets, not mention so indelible that no amount of washing would have got it out.
a lot of memories from that old cinema, but for me, the smell is the outstanding one, as was queuing round the side of it when there was a popular film on
astraboy.
Old 08 September 2005, 02:34 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Our local cinema is cr@p any action scene the noise is so loud the speakers vibrate and it sounds awful.... screenings are on early for the kids, no later screening so its always full of little ones I have to drive 30odd miles to the cinema in Nottingham to watch a decent film
Old 08 September 2005, 02:38 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Yes, the demise of B-movies (the short ones that came before the main feature) is a shame. I recall seeing "Balham: Gateway to the South" and a film about otters.
Old 08 September 2005, 03:59 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Geezer
One thing I did think was good, was that you could come in half way through a film, and then just stay and watch the next showing! You'd get kicked out now.
Not necessarily with the slack staff at multiplex cinemas. It's quite possible to watch 2 or 3 films and only pay for one, if you don't mind getting deep vein thrombosis in your ****, that is.
Old 08 September 2005, 04:35 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****

That also reminds me of being younger and trying to peak through the gap in the swing doors to watch some bits of the 18 films that we weren't allowed to see.

Oh Happy days

There are still some small cinemas in the lakes but have never been as yet on our many trips up there.
Old 08 September 2005, 04:56 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

My home town in the UK still has an old style cinema. They did split it into 2 screens, upstairs and downstairs about 20 years ago, but otherwise it's great. Pearl & Dean live on, as do the usherettes with their torches, selling cornettos and strawberry splits from the trays round their necks, the little yellow lights providing not quite enough light for you to be sure you're getting the flavour you asked for.

It's actually owned by the brother of a close friend. He's a cinema geek, but he has invested in new audio equipment, new comfy seats and new floors upstairs and down to increase the pitch between seats to modern standards. He's doing good business too, he recently bought a second old-style cinema. Given the fond memories people have for these old cinemas, he may be on to something!

The only thing he hasn't done yet is install some "lovers" seats, the double ones which used to be in the old cinema. Ah memories
Old 08 September 2005, 05:01 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Well had a day off work today and due to this thread decided to go to my local multiplex cinema.

Big *** clear screen, DTS sound, air conditioned auditorium, comfy seats, gigantic soft drink, cheesy nachos with a ton of 'help yourself' chilli's but NO LOVE and SOULLESS

Film was the remake of Mean Machine, The Longest Yard, funny but easily forgettable.
Old 08 September 2005, 06:16 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

http://www.electriccinema.co.uk/
the perfect mix of old and new i wnet to see rotk there and managed to sit thru the whole film and not get a sore bum! sound and picture quality very good too. AND theres a bar in there too.
Old 08 September 2005, 07:00 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
My home town in the UK still has an old style cinema. They did split it into 2 screens, upstairs and downstairs about 20 years ago, but otherwise it's great. Pearl & Dean live on, as do the usherettes with their torches, selling cornettos and strawberry splits from the trays round their necks, the little yellow lights providing not quite enough light for you to be sure you're getting the flavour you asked for.

It's actually owned by the brother of a close friend. He's a cinema geek, but he has invested in new audio equipment, new comfy seats and new floors upstairs and down to increase the pitch between seats to modern standards. He's doing good business too, he recently bought a second old-style cinema. Given the fond memories people have for these old cinemas, he may be on to something!

The only thing he hasn't done yet is install some "lovers" seats, the double ones which used to be in the old cinema. Ah memories
Fantastic.
I demand the location!
astraboy.
Old 08 September 2005, 08:30 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

What i hate about modrrn cinemas, is the way its have a meal / drink to excess in a nearby mexican diner... wear copious amounts of aftershave and then sit and belch/ fart over some poor sod who,s paid good money to see a film...

not my idea of fun..

Mart
Old 08 September 2005, 08:37 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

But the good thing about modern cine multiplexes is that you do get a good choice. Often they will show an old classic midweek or a foreign language film or even a bollywood flick for a laugh and bit of dancing. Never ever would have got that in the old days.

Quick Reply: Modern Cinemas vs old Cinemas