FAO Breitling owners...!

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2005, 09:37 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Breitling owners...!

Hi all,

Does anyone have any info on what the tolerances are for the average Breitling, in terms of seconds lost per day/month etc..?

Also, I've got an auto, and I've never actually wound it up - is this necessary, or does the natural movement sustain it indefinately?

any advice appreciated!

dave
Old 06 September 2005, 10:19 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

If you have an Auto, you cant wind it up If you only wear it occasionally a quick shake every week or so will help the movement, I would not leave if for months tbh. Re time keeping, mine does very well, I recon that the only time I correct it is if I go abroad (4/5 times per year) I did intend to get a watch winder as I was only going to wear mine for best but it has been on my wrist for the 18 months since I got it & although it now has some wear marks (caught the bezel) I would not have it any other way. It is there to be used
Old 06 September 2005, 10:24 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Simo, thanks for that.

It's an auto, but you can wind it up I was told that it's like a top up, and maximum winds has a time figure attached to it, 40 hours IIRC
Old 06 September 2005, 10:28 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rolex recommends that if the watch has stopped, you manually wind it 10-15 times to start it again, rather than shaking it. Dunno why.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:30 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Talking

My Panerai has a 40 hour power reserve....the gauge doesnt seem that reliable though. Stoopid thing !
Old 06 September 2005, 10:36 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Well my fiance kindly bought me one of these on holiday last month so I've just recently read the manual...

To be a certified chronometer, it has to lose/gain no more than 25secs a year. They claim it will actually lose/gain no more than 15 secs in a year.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:50 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Well my fiance kindly bought me one of these on holiday last month so I've just recently read the manual...

To be a certified chronometer, it has to lose/gain no more than 25secs a year. They claim it will actually lose/gain no more than 15 secs in a year.

The COSC chronometer specification for a mechanical watch is -4 to +6 seconds per day
Old 06 September 2005, 10:59 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

That sounds more like it. Mine (Avenger Seawolf) is gaining significantly more than that per day now it's been run in, so it's going back to be adjusted soon.

Breitling autos have a 40 - 50 hour reserve once fully wound. If you wear it every day you should never need to wind it. If you take it off for a couple of days and it stops, you can wind it 10 - 15 times to get it started, then just set it and put it on.
Old 06 September 2005, 11:35 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

Iwan,

That's interesting re thr adjustment - is that normal then? I've had mine on pretty much constantly for 6-7 months, so maybe it needs adjusting..?

Prior to the last few days it's been perfect, paraniod now, calling the speaking clock every hour!!!

In terms of adjustments, are they sent back to Breitling, does anyone know how long that usually takes? (still under warranty as well)
Old 06 September 2005, 11:48 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrDBM
Iwan,

That's interesting re thr adjustment - is that normal then? I've had mine on pretty much constantly for 6-7 months, so maybe it needs adjusting..?

Prior to the last few days it's been perfect, paraniod now, calling the speaking clock every hour!!!

In terms of adjustments, are they sent back to Breitling, does anyone know how long that usually takes? (still under warranty as well)
If it's consistantly running fast or slow, there's an adjuster inside the watch which can be tweaked to speed it up or slow it down. It needs to be done by Breitling though.

Give Breitling a call before you send it, you need to send the service book in with it too. If it's within warranty the adjustment should be free as far as I know.

Details here from the 'servicing' thread.

They have a main UK service centre where all UK work is carried out, if you take your watch into an official dealers then this is usually where they send it to be worked on.

Best thing is to ring them to discuss exactly what you want doing. Once you've spoken to them they'll give you an estimate price; and ask you to pack the watch up securely and send it (along with the service logbook and a covering letter) to the service centre via Royal Mail Special Delivery.

They do the service and will then call you to tell you the final bill, which you can pay over the phone. They'll then ship the watch back to you.

Breitling UK Service
01892 553620

TWG Distribution
PO Box 309
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
TN2 3YB

Top tip. When you send it back, don't send the box that it came in - wrap it securely in bubble wrap and put it in a cardboard box. When they send it back out to you they'll probably put it in a nice free cordura travel case (Breitling monogrammed).
Old 06 September 2005, 11:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My 21 year old Seiko bought in Hong Kong is still good for 3 seconds a month.

Les
Old 06 September 2005, 12:03 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rotty
The COSC chronometer specification for a mechanical watch is -4 to +6 seconds per day
Sorry it looks like I was talking about quartz chronometers (which mine is)
Old 06 September 2005, 01:17 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
My 21 year old Seiko bought in Hong Kong is still good for 3 seconds a month.
I imagine the Seiko I got on my 11th birthday (20 years ago) is also similarly accurate.

Doesn't make me want to wear it in preference to the Breitling though.
Old 06 September 2005, 01:35 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

my super avenger keeps pretty good time hactually. i thought the COSC was applicable to both quartz and automatics.
Old 06 September 2005, 02:47 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

COSC is applicable to both but the pass limits are tighter for quartz than they are for mechanical.

A COSC certified quartz is almost certainly going to be more accurate than a regular non-certified quartz movement.
Old 06 September 2005, 04:44 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Never wound mine up yet.If i dont wear it for a few days and it stops just give it a shake.
As for tolerances does it really matter .What is there in life where you need the time to within 10 seconds anyway?