Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

eBay advice - PayPal worries

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2005, 12:09 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay advice - PayPal worries

I've just sold an item on eBay for over £1000. The buy has paid by PayPal already and I am withdrawing the funds to my account.

Am I safe to send out the goods on Monday? I want to know if there is any way the buyer could shaft me by somehow stopping the payment before it reaches my account?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
Old 03 September 2005, 12:10 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
I've just sold an item on eBay for over £1000. The buy has paid by PayPal already and I am withdrawing the funds to my account.

Am I safe to send out the goods on Monday? I want to know if there is any way the buyer could shaft me by somehow stopping the payment before it reaches my account?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
I think the only way things could fall apart now would be if the paypal/credit card account used to pay you turned out to be stolen or if the buyer claims the goods never arrived (which obviously can be avoided by using trackable means of delivery)
Old 03 September 2005, 12:14 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I thought that was the case. I think the buyer is legit and I would be surprised if he turned out to be using a stolen card. I'll ensure that the carriage is trackable though, thanks.

Andy
Old 03 September 2005, 01:03 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

When you received the payment was the Paypal user verified and was the address confirmed?

If not he can just claim you didnt send it (even if you have proof of delivery) and YOU will get chargedback for the £1000 to your account even if you have taken it out of your paypal account they will then try and take it from your bank account if not the Baliff will be round!

I deal with a minimum of 100 paypal transactions aday and would never except paypal for £1000 (especially seeing as you have just been charged £34.20 to receive it!)

Whats the item? electrical? computer? It wouldnt happen to be

"Apple PowerMac G5 Dual Processor 1.5GB RAM - Pure Power" would it?

If it is and you are charging £40 delivery I would rather refund the paypal money (saving £34) add it to the £40 delivery charge = £74 nearly enough to get you to devon and back you can hand deliver it to the person making sure it doesnt get damaged and have a nice drive out at the same time.

Or take the risk and probably lose £1000 (I would say this is a (99% certanty) sp?

Let me know if you need anymore advice, I will tell you how to sort it!
Old 03 September 2005, 01:23 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Just left my house and decided to drive back and tell you dont take the risk unless you are happy to lose £1150, dont do it!
Old 03 September 2005, 01:28 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Send it to a verified address with the appropriate shipping/insurance and you'll be covered.

Oh and read the small print on paypal. Things that could get you shafted...you surcharged the Paypal fees.....you are not verified yourself..etc (last time I checked).

Bob
Old 03 September 2005, 03:46 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Scooby Soon, thanks for that. I've looked into the address and the sender appears on the electoral roll at that address so from that it looks legit.

After knowing that would you still say no? Even if it is being carried by a proper trackable courier?

PS yes - that was my sale you just pointed out.
Old 03 September 2005, 03:56 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I sell loads on ebay and like paypal for most things....

But for a grand??? No way in hell. Far far far too risky. Anything over 150 is cheque/cash only for me- for security and also because the fees are stupidly high.

Even with a verified address and seller protection, it still exceeds the max limit- it only goes up to £500 if i remember correctly

For that amount id state cash /bankers draft on collection only to be honest- last pair of technics I sold for £500 I was hesitant at receiving a cheque and posting- even fully tracked.
Lets face it, paypal are almost as useless as ebay when it comes to their customer support/care...and the whole payment process leaves the seller wide open for a great big shafting.

Buyer only has 34 feedback too.........

Even if their address matches, they can still say a) it never arrived, b) it was an empty box c) it was damaged d) it could have been payed for with a stolen card or identity.

Last edited by Freak; 03 September 2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03 September 2005, 04:28 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Send it to a verified address with the appropriate shipping/insurance and you'll be covered.

Bob
No you won't!

I dont really want to write a full explenation of why you are not (there is so many ways to "work" the paypal system if you know how!) and all of the scammers know how to do it. but please trust me that paypal will not protect you!

AngryNorth,

How many questions did the buyer ask you before buying it?
Old 03 September 2005, 04:30 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I would obviously prefer to drive to Devon but at the moment, circumstances will just not allow it.

Hmm, I don't really know what to do now. I admit you have put some doubts in my mind on the best course of action.

Surely if I package it correctly, send it via a trackable courier with insurance on it I should be covered? How about if I video the packing process to prove the goods are in the box?
Old 03 September 2005, 04:31 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
No you won't!

I dont really want to write a full explenation of why you are not (there is so many ways to "work" the paypal system if you know how!) and all of the scammers know how to do it. but please trust me that paypal will not protect you!

AngryNorth,

How many questions did the buyer ask you before buying it?
Just the one, I've sold other stuff to people who only asked one question before and they turned out OK. Does this make a difference?
Old 03 September 2005, 04:51 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

ok, what sort of question did they ask?

I would never buy a electrical item from someone with as low feedback as yourself (I know we all have to start somewhere!) unless the person who has purchased it from is very trusting I wouldnt be able to believe it. I would of thought most people think like this.

If the guy decided to be funny and you were hopeing to claim off the insurance if there was a problem, they (parcelforce) wont pay out if they have a signature of the person who signed for it at delivery (which they will always have) they will have done there job by delivering it to the specific address.

Was the paypal email that was sent to you showing as a verified and confirmed address? <----- this is very important

Do you have a phone number for this person, might be worth a call? (as long as its a landline) just say that you will be sending it out next week what days will they be at home? just get a feel of how they sound on the telephone. They should ask you to make sure its wrapped well etc etc If they are just trying to put the phone down on you as quick as possible then thats not a good sign! Or it might be a dead number?
Old 03 September 2005, 04:55 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Read the full terms and conditions of Paypal to see if you'll be covered and under what circumstances.

If you follow the guidelines I cant see how they would be able to legally chargeback.
Old 03 September 2005, 04:59 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

BOB'5

It would be great if you followed the guide lines and everything worked but it doesn't!

They routinely take money back even if you have followed every single rule to the letter! They get away with it because they are such a big company and they just refer you to the T and C's
Old 03 September 2005, 05:08 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice in this.

This is the question from him

"The monitor that comes with it, is that the Apple display in your pictures or another?
Will it be boxed and including all the necessany cables, keyboard, mouse etc?
Would you be able to package it securly and allow me to use my courier service to pick it up from you?
Sorry for the long letter but I have been looking for a sound G5 on eBay for some time and let me tell you it's a mine field out there!"

His name matches his domain name which I have checked through the whois database to be owned by him and is registered to the same address as the delivery address.

I've also checked the electoral roll and he is registered there at the same address as above.

I have called him and his mother answered the phone first then passed me to him, to be fair to him he sounds legit. Said he's escaped a scam once by quite a narrow margin once before himself and seemed worried that I was trying to do him. Said needs to upgrade from his laptop as it has had its day.

I'm thinking its all above board now after finding all that out and at least I have a confirmed address and if there is a problem with it I can pay him a visit.

What do you think?

Last edited by angrynorth; 03 September 2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03 September 2005, 05:11 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Thats why I said to read the T&Cs.

I too have had the harsh end of the stick with paypal.

I understand that angerynorth only has a feedback of 12? In that case the buyer would not qualify for any protection under paypal T & C. How involved the CC companies can get is another matter.
Old 03 September 2005, 05:12 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

You should arrange the courier and have the tracking number.
Old 03 September 2005, 06:18 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Is the guys name m**k w****n ?
Old 03 September 2005, 06:25 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

But when an amount shows in paypal - you can immediatley spend it again in ebay, so how does that work ?
Old 03 September 2005, 06:29 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

If you mean, what happens if you spend all the money and then Paypal want there money back? Your account will be frozen and you will have a balance such as Fraudulent - £1140.00.

You normally have to confirm your bank account details and a debit card, guess where they then try to take the money from?...... If not they sell the debt to balifs and you have to deal with them :-o
Old 03 September 2005, 08:09 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

They pull it from your card, your bank account, or send the baillifs round if both of those fail.
Not a thing you can do about it.
Old 04 September 2005, 02:13 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I deal with a minimum of 100 paypal transactions aday
freakin ell, how many