Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Will America Take This as a Warning??

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2005, 01:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Will America Take This as a Warning??

Hurricane Katrina ................ natural disaster, but - could so easily have been caused by climate change!!

The USA has decided NOT to sign the Kyoto Agreement and have opted to use the worlds resources at whatever rate it chooses .................... sod the world and climate!!

Will this serve as a warning or will they just merely continue on their path of waste and greed??

Pete
Old 01 September 2005, 01:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it won't and yes they will. dl
Old 01 September 2005, 01:20 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

America are like pigs at the world's trough; I cant see them changing.
Old 01 September 2005, 01:26 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Can't see Bubba trading in his V8 pick-up for a Nissan Micra...

Wish they would see sense PSLewis.... but sadly it's hugely doubtful
Old 01 September 2005, 01:28 PM
Reality
BANNED

They can't change (well wont change is more accurate).

We're all doomed !
Old 01 September 2005, 01:30 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

It was an act of God. Maybe God is telling them something.
Old 01 September 2005, 01:31 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

The hick in the white house will never listen
Old 01 September 2005, 01:32 PM
jimmyu.r.uk
BANNED

was only saying this as i watched the news last night meself!
Old 01 September 2005, 01:32 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
It was an act of God. Maybe God is telling them something.
TBH that's probably our best hope that Bush will make a connection / start thinking climate change is actually a threat
Old 01 September 2005, 01:36 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by Reality
TBH that's probably our best hope that Bush will make a connection / start thinking climate change is actually a threat
Continental drift is faster at making connections!
Old 01 September 2005, 01:41 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

If Bush starts to see climate change as a threat, he'll nuke it.
Old 01 September 2005, 01:43 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I don't see that this has anything to do with climate change. They have had terrible hurricanes before (1960 in Texas for instance), and not all hurricanes are this severe.

However, no, even if a link was proved, they wouldn't change. It's a restriction of their liberties, goddarn it!

Geezer
Old 01 September 2005, 01:44 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

There is no proof of climate change, just ask David Bellamy
Old 01 September 2005, 01:55 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by lightning101
There is no proof of climate change, just ask David Bellamy
And if you get nowhere with him - check with David Ike
Old 01 September 2005, 02:01 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by pslewis
Hurricane Katrina ................ natural disaster, but - could so easily have been caused by climate change!!

The USA has decided NOT to sign the Kyoto Agreement and have opted to use the worlds resources at whatever rate it chooses .................... sod the world and climate!!

Will this serve as a warning or will they just merely continue on their path of waste and greed??

Pete

before this happened pete, richard the corrupt boucher the new un ambassador said the usa needs 500 amendments in the un during the 60th anniversary agreement one of them was kyoto

and look what happens afterwards

i feel so bad for the poor people and i cant believe instead of helping each other the c;unts r shooting around and looting their fellow human beings
Old 01 September 2005, 02:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Bush will continue to do exactly what his masters are telling him, and he will continue to ensure that Billy is dancing for him on a piece of string!

Les
Old 01 September 2005, 02:24 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Some people in this world are just idiots - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4205074.stm

Stefan
Old 01 September 2005, 02:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Thing is...people go about the yanks and their emissions...BUT

They were one of the first countries to fit catalytic converters to their cars...almost 25years BEFORE the UK and most of europe followed.

They were one of the first to use Unleaded fuel and stop selling Leaded fuel (again, decades before the UK ).

They had smog tests before the UK had emissions tests.

Obviously what this means, that since the seventies, american cars...as big gas guzzlers they were, ran on unleaded and had emssions equipment (such as catalytic converters, closed loop fueling systems, Exhaust Gas recycling etc) well before UK and Europe. One of the partial reasons for their low speedlimits was in the interest of reducing fuel consumption (brought on by the oil crisis).

I also believe the US was one the first countries to levy noise emissions regulations at certain airports (although that one is open to mass debate, as it belive it was state enforced law). (noise is pollution ).

Also California - one of the strictest states on pollution has their "Zero emissions program" (ZEV) for vehicles...where by it intention was to have 10% of cars within that state to procuse absolutley zero emssions....quite some feat. Ok, things didn't turn out as they planned....but what were UK and Europe doing about the same problem in 1990?....Non of the UK's cars had catalytic converters, Leaded fuel was still on sale, and most cars had inferior old tech emssions control systems (tamperp-proofed carb with an auto choke ).

So based on that I think we should give them a break...while we were sat on our ***** they were doing something...now we've hopped on teh bandwagon they are suddenly accused of doing nothing, when it couldn't be further from the truth. The refusal to sign the Kyoto aggrement is purely political in the interests of maintaining control on the US economy if such a situation arises.
Old 01 September 2005, 02:48 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

The UK could learn a bit from that. What benefits or incentives do we give for people switching to ZEV's ?? Other than some reduction in road tax
Old 01 September 2005, 05:06 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Pete

sorry: i thought hurricanes and other catastrophic weather phenomenons like tsunamis, flash floods, tornadoes, waterspouts and whirlpools that swallow ships whole had been with us since the evolution of the planet's oceans and atmosphere?

no, it's a natural disaster but bush & the bad old US of A is still to blame!

what about the humongous hurricane that devastated galveston, texas and killed 6,000 people in 1900?

or the catastrophic eastern caribbean hurricane of 1780 that killed an estimated 20,000? pre-industrial revolution - what an achievement by a nation only four years old.

what about hurricane janet that wrecked grenada from end-to-end in 1955?

come on, get some perspective lewis: really hairy weather has always been with us. hurricane's have always been destructive when they make landfall and some are naturally bigger than others.

not everything mother earth throws at us is down to global warming and the non-ratification of kyoto. like your tabloid style though ... you should be writing for the daily mirror.

Old 01 September 2005, 05:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

.prolly does..
Old 01 September 2005, 05:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Holy Ghost
come on, get some perspective lewis: really hairy weather has always been with us. hurricane's have always been destructive when they make landfall and some are naturally bigger than others.

not everything mother earth throws at us is down to global warming and the non-ratification of kyoto.
Will you EVER read my posts properly???

The first post reads, "Hurricane Katrina ................ natural disaster, but - could so easily have been caused by climate change"

I did NOT state it WAS due to climate change ......... but something like the disaster we are witnessing COULD have been!!

Pete
Old 01 September 2005, 05:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

as above
Old 01 September 2005, 05:51 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Wink

http://www.davecov.com/comedy/daasnz/clivedunn.htm

just found this long-lost picture of lewis - he started playing corporal jones aged 48 in 1968. today that makes him ... wow, 85!
Old 01 September 2005, 05:53 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Will you EVER read my posts properly???

The first post reads, "Hurricane Katrina ................ natural disaster, but - could so easily have been caused by climate change"

I did NOT state it WAS due to climate change ......... but something like the disaster we are witnessing COULD have been!!

Pete

DON'T PANIC!!

could so easily - but almost certainly wasn't.

i could so easily have played cricket for england - if i'd had any talent.

i love your stroppy use of caps. cracks me up everytime.
Old 01 September 2005, 05:57 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Smile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/ar...771975_4.shtml

you're a legend in your own lunchbox.
Old 01 September 2005, 06:01 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

The US is far more likely to reduce fuel consumption because of strategic reasons (i.e. reduce dependence on middle east oil) than for overtly environmental reasons. There are lots of very committed environmentalists in the US and California has been at the forefront of emissions regulations bar none. But as a country it doesn't come so high on the agenda.

The link between any one naturally occuring event and global warming is simply not tenable anyway. A whole series of events which form a trend and fall outside the bounds of normal statistical variation, that would provide evidence. most scientists are in agreement that global warming is taking place. However there is less agreement about the rate of warming and to what degree humankind is having an effect.
Old 01 September 2005, 06:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Regardless of whether they caused a natrual disaster or not, perhaps we could tell them this so they stop hammering resources as they have been doing.

I think an increase in their fuel prices to UK levels would be a start, might convince a few to downsize a little.
Old 01 September 2005, 06:13 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
The US is far more likely to reduce fuel consumption because of strategic reasons (i.e. reduce dependence on middle east oil) than for overtly environmental reasons. There are lots of very committed environmentalists in the US and California has been at the forefront of emissions regulations bar none. But as a country it doesn't come so high on the agenda.

The link between any one naturally occuring event and global warming is simply not tenable anyway. A whole series of events which form a trend and fall outside the bounds of normal statistical variation, that would provide evidence. most scientists are in agreement that global warming is taking place. However there is less agreement about the rate of warming and to what degree humankind is having an effect.

nicely put ....................... but in lewis-land - like MAYBE finding liz hurley in your christmas STOCKING - it COULD be tenable ................... and that's ALL that COUNTS!
Old 01 September 2005, 06:21 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Thing is...people go about the yanks and their emissions...BUT

They were one of the first countries to fit catalytic converters to their cars...almost 25years BEFORE the UK and most of europe followed.

They were one of the first to use Unleaded fuel and stop selling Leaded fuel (again, decades before the UK ).

They had smog tests before the UK had emissions tests.

Obviously what this means, that since the seventies, american cars...as big gas guzzlers they were, ran on unleaded and had emssions equipment (such as catalytic converters, closed loop fueling systems, Exhaust Gas recycling etc) well before UK and Europe. One of the partial reasons for their low speedlimits was in the interest of reducing fuel consumption (brought on by the oil crisis).

I also believe the US was one the first countries to levy noise emissions regulations at certain airports (although that one is open to mass debate, as it belive it was state enforced law). (noise is pollution ).

Also California - one of the strictest states on pollution has their "Zero emissions program" (ZEV) for vehicles...where by it intention was to have 10% of cars within that state to procuse absolutley zero emssions....quite some feat. Ok, things didn't turn out as they planned....but what were UK and Europe doing about the same problem in 1990?....Non of the UK's cars had catalytic converters, Leaded fuel was still on sale, and most cars had inferior old tech emssions control systems (tamperp-proofed carb with an auto choke ).

So based on that I think we should give them a break...while we were sat on our ***** they were doing something...now we've hopped on teh bandwagon they are suddenly accused of doing nothing, when it couldn't be further from the truth. The refusal to sign the Kyoto aggrement is purely political in the interests of maintaining control on the US economy if such a situation arises.
Exactly. I knew the theory but not the actual facts.

Im actually very surprised at the mess they've got themselves into in Louisiana. They knew the storm was coming, they announced an evacuation. But the aftermath / clean up seems seriously disorganised for a Superpower.

Quick Reply: Will America Take This as a Warning??