Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Household Spiders-Hybrid types

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2005, 11:05 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Household Spiders-Hybrid types

We've moved into a new house in the Uk, previous owner spent a lot of time in different countries...(you can see where this is going)

We have noticed over the last few months an increase in much bigger than 'normal Uk household' spiders coming to light, one of which last week scared the living daylights out of me as it scuttled over the lounge at full pelt (and I'm not that bothered about them)

I got rid of two last week, very fast....plain looking (brown bodies) but large in size, one of which was so powerful it knocked over the pint glass I had over it waiting for me to remove it! (didnt tell the girlfriend about that one)

Again tonight (after hoovering everywhere I could, including possible webs) another has turned up. On the stairs, bold as brass. Put a pint glass over it and it went ballistic. This one is the smallest I have come across

Does anyone know of someone I can send a sample of these spiders too to see if they might be visitiors as looking on the net it is hard to identify what it may be?

Getting a bit worried about the little herberts now...
Old 30 August 2005, 11:09 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

Could someone put one of those "This thread is pointless without pics" poster things up
Old 30 August 2005, 11:13 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Have a look on the "web"
Old 30 August 2005, 11:16 PM
BlackadderII
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Have a look on the "web"
David, please tell me that, that was the "beer" talking
Old 30 August 2005, 11:25 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by King Eric
I got rid of two last week, very fast....plain looking (brown bodies) but large in size, one of which was so powerful it knocked over the pint glass I had over it waiting for me to remove it! (didnt tell the girlfriend about that one)
What was that a hybrid of? Spider that's bred with an octupus by the sound of it

Did it have hairy legs? The spider, that is

Was just having a look for a good pic there - came across this - http://www.spiderzrule.com/spider4.htm - thought for a minute it was about how to bandage the legs of the thing after you'd slammed an atlas onto it's head

Last edited by Franx; 30 August 2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 31 August 2005, 12:08 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

could be a nest of 'foreign invaders' in the loft????? i have heard stories of spiders coming back in peeps suitcases on holidays and living/breeding in the loft........
Old 31 August 2005, 12:27 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Start worrying when they have funny marks on their backs, just because they are small, does not mean to say they are harmless.
Old 31 August 2005, 12:48 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine used to import old Spitfires and Midgets from California; the containers used to be full of Wood Spiders with more than a few Black Widows..... The Black Widows that survived the journey were usually on their last legs by the time we emptied the containers (not all of the little f*ckers though!). Not the Woodies though, they were made of sterner stuff and theres now a thriving community of Californian Wood Spiders living in Shardlow!

Simon
Old 31 August 2005, 12:53 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by BlackadderII
David, please tell me that, that was the "beer" talking
Might have been

Just wondering why the previous owner sold??
Old 31 August 2005, 06:58 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Get some pics up first so we can have a look! As close and detailed as possible.

If I can't id them I know an entomologist who may be able to.

I have to say though, I think you have been watching too much arachnophobia!

Originally Posted by King Eric
We've moved into a new house in the Uk, previous owner spent a lot of time in different countries...(you can see where this is going)

We have noticed over the last few months an increase in much bigger than 'normal Uk household' spiders coming to light, one of which last week scared the living daylights out of me as it scuttled over the lounge at full pelt (and I'm not that bothered about them)

Again tonight (after hoovering everywhere I could, including possible webs) another has turned up. On the stairs, bold as brass. Put a pint glass over it and it went ballistic. This one is the smallest I have come across

Does anyone know of someone I can send a sample of these spiders too to see if they might be visitiors as looking on the net it is hard to identify what it may be?

Getting a bit worried about the little herberts now...