[advice] Neighbours dog kills our rabbit

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2005, 09:25 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default [advice] Neighbours dog kills our rabbit

Gutted its not the word.
Having had a near escape from the neighbours dog getting my rabbit a week ago I put up a whicker fence on top of the 5ft fence I`ve already got and informed my neighbour that the dog was jumping over to get him.
Tonight I heard what sounded like a girl screaming, as I ran out the back yard I was confronted with next doors dog (boxer) in our garden with its jaws around our rabbit. The dog had escaped from its compound via a dodgy wooden gate (the gate it always escapes from) whilst they were out, and jumped over the fence using some decking our neighbour had just started to erect.
Next door live in a 2 bedroom semi and have two boxers and a big silver thing, I have a 1 year old daughter and I`m very worried.
At the moment Im fuming and I need some sound advice how I tackle the neighbours so as not to start a neighbour war.
These people are starting to be the neighbours from hell, with unkept gardens and continues building work through to transit vans parked on the kerbside.
Old 28 August 2005, 09:31 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shoot the dog, it's got the taste for blood. (I'm a dog lover btw, but I've seen enough farmers have to put down their favourite sheep dog because it's attacked livestock and can never be trusted)
Old 28 August 2005, 09:32 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Doesn't good mate and I can see it's a tight rope. Simply can't risk that dog getting at your child though. Is the dog ever loose out the front? I am thinking run it over or something if it really is that much of a menance. They don't sound like the sort of people that are going to keep it on a leash for you. Maybe the council can do something.
Old 28 August 2005, 09:40 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Totally gutted for you mate, as for the Boxer I am so suprised, as they are normally a very loving playful dog, we had one for 11 years, sounds to me you need to speak to your neighbour about this, and if no out come from that speak to the RSPCA or even have a word with your local police, Boxers can be a right nightmare if they are in the wrong hands and sounds to me this seems to be the case, 9 times out of 10 they just play and lick you stupid Your neighbour is at fault because the dogs should be secured in the back garden.
Cheers
Colin
Old 28 August 2005, 09:51 PM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

shoot it. in the bollox. easy.
Old 28 August 2005, 09:54 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Also try and find out if the dog is insured because you can claim against that.
Cheers
Colin
Old 28 August 2005, 10:04 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

The big silver thing you mention - sounds like a Weimaraner, I would be more worried about that getting at your garden / kids / rabbit than the boxer. I have a female weimaraner which I would not let near kids and definately would not introduce it to anything small and furry. The neighbours cats or kids dont come in my garden. She weighs close on 8 stone and daily tries to push the boundaries. Thought about declaring her to my insurance company as a security device to see if it would drop the premium!!!

A boxer is unlikely to take a bite out of your children, although it could easily knock them over just because they are overly frindly / playful.

A word with the neighbour should sort it - any responsible dog owner will take necessary steps to contain thier dogs.

TT
Old 28 August 2005, 10:07 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

For Christ's sake, it's not the dog's fault, it's the owners'! It is totally not humane, fair or even legal to shoot the animal and in any case that would be far more likely to start a neighbour war than a simple approach to your neighbour, explaining what has happened and your concerns. Anyone who takes the cowardly option of underhandedly harming their neighbour's pet in retribution is simply lacking in the bottle or maturity to speak face-to-face with them calmly and attempting to sort it out in an adult manner.
Old 28 August 2005, 10:09 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cousins dog recently went a bit loopy and stood drooling over a 1yr child......

He had the dog put down, much as it pained him, he knew it was the only way to be sure no one would get hurt.....

Thats what should happen in this case......
Old 28 August 2005, 10:11 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
The big silver thing you mention - sounds like a Weimaraner

TT
Its much bigger than that, it is fatter and has big droopy flaps of skin around the mouth, its quite rare I think.

As for retribution against the animals, never, I know its natural for the dogs, although Ive thought about harming the neighbours
Old 28 August 2005, 10:16 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Take a standard bathroom sponge and soak it in gravy / fat from next sundays roast dinner. Let it cool down then toss it to the dog one night next week.

Byeeeeee.

Or call the police and tell them about it killing your rabbit and your concerns for your 1 yr old.
Old 28 August 2005, 10:19 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I don't know the first thing about dog's really other than that Labradors and Golden Retrievers are especially friendly. I have heard about them getting the taste for blood? Just going on what has been said the neighbours don't sound like they are going to respond positively to him demanding action. The worst scenario is the dog jumps over and kills the child - everybody has heard of this type of thing happening. He said he is very worried.

What do you think he should do if the neigbours ignore him, the dog keeps jumping over, the council et al do nothing, neigbours continue to do nothing and so on? Live in fear of the animal doing something terrible? At the end of the day its a dog and it hardly sounds like this is some sort of beloved pet cherrished by the owners if they clearly can't be bothered to even stop it getting loose.
Old 28 August 2005, 10:29 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I am shocked at the replies on here in regard to killing the dog! you should be ashamed of yourselves! specifically jods! it sounds like you are talking from experience, and thats even more sickening.

the dog is doing something that is natural for him, therefore I would say its the owners fault and you really need to bring it to their attention, as its a training issue, boxers are extremely clever and if trained to a good level would not harm anything or anyone.

you never know they may sort the problem out, theres really only one way to find out?

james
Old 28 August 2005, 10:29 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Im not an expert on dogs so i dont know if it has the tatse for blood, It didnt rip the rabbit to pieces, it looks like it crushed it with its jaws , I managed to pick the boxer up and throw it back over the fence without it getting viscious, then the other boxer jumped over and i did the same.
Im rehersing what im going to say, i want to come across angry but not aggressive i dont think that will help, in all honesty the bloke is a bit of an alcholic and with a toddler and sick wife i dont need any ongoing **** :/
Old 28 August 2005, 10:30 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by shaggy1973

you never know they may sort the problem out,

james
My rabbit cannot be revived.
Old 28 August 2005, 10:31 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Fecking hell doc that could of been you little one get round there and sort the fecking **** out giz a shout all come round with you if you want.

R.B
Old 28 August 2005, 10:35 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

I think that given the fact that you have a toddler, and thses dogs (plural) are getting into your garden, it could even be considered a police issue.... the last thing anyone wants, and that 'should' include you neighbours, is something happening to your littl'un........ good luck in sorting this, if you ask me, at least the dog that had the rabbit should be put down..... as it's gotta now be considered as a risk......
Old 28 August 2005, 10:36 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R.B
Fecking hell doc that could of been you little one get round there and sort the fecking **** out giz a shout all come round with you if you want.

R.B
Yeah people probably think I've been far to extreme regarding this, but I keep thinking about it harming the child.
Old 28 August 2005, 11:03 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye
I keep thinking about it harming the child.
For God's sake, it's a one-year-old child. Get a grip. It's parental supervision that would be at issue here! I wouldn't let my lad out of my SIGHT until he was six, and even then only in the backs away from the road! A dog's killed a rabbit. Sort it out, it's not a big problem, it's only cowardly, immature attitudes that are making a big issue of this.
Old 28 August 2005, 11:10 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Bubba po
For God's sake, it's a one-year-old child. Get a grip. It's parental supervision that would be at issue here! I wouldn't let my lad out of my SIGHT until he was six, and even then only in the backs away from the road! A dog's killed a rabbit. Sort it out, it's not a big problem, it's only cowardly, immature attitudes that are making a big issue of this.
3 dogs might i add, maybe they arent the hounds of the baskiville but that big ***** could ground me easily it must be at least 15 stonne
I`m sure they arent bloode thirsty ravid beasts and I made no comment that they were.
What i`m asking for is simple advice on how to confront the neighbours without using my anger. :/
Old 28 August 2005, 11:20 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

You don't need to use your anger. I detect a bit of a lack of assertiveness here. You seem to be scared of the prospect of confrontation before it even starts. My advice is to go round to see your neighbour and tell him what has happened and your concerns about the safety of your child, and ask him what he intends to do about it. If he then acts like a ******, then it is him that is behaving unreasonably and antisocially. You can then involve the authorities. I'm on your side, but just be adult and calm about it.
Old 28 August 2005, 11:36 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Shooting it is a no-no, bigtime illegal.

I'd be thinking along the lines of spade, considerable force, dogs head, boot of the car, away.
Far better option, but you don't want to involve the police or even mention it to the neighbour if you're considering this option.

Personally if it was me, i'd have used as much force as necessary to retreive the rabbit, then sack, boot, away etc as appropriate.

I ******* hate people who don't control dangerous dogs, they deserve to be put in prison.
Old 29 August 2005, 12:06 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Bubba Po's sees this very clearly it seems so if I were to decide to take his approach this is what I would do...

I would go around there early evening. Preferably before he can hit the drink if he has a related problem. Stick to stating facts only, such as "the dog killed the rabbit", "animals not secured properly", "I have a toddler" and concentrate on just this one issue - don't mention the Transit vans or his disregard for the state of his garden / property.

Keep as emotionless as possible and don't cross your arms, stare the guy down or do anything else to make it seem confrontational. Don't make threats, such as I will contact the police etc during this initial conversation. Be assertive though, but if he slams the door in your face then clearly this approach is a dead end and was a waste of time.

Get him to agree a course of action, such as he will now keep the dogs on ropes. Go home and write down roughly the details of the conversation, incase nothing happens and you need evidence of raising the issue with him when contacting authorities should he do nothing. That's the first step.
Old 29 August 2005, 12:17 AM
ndwall
Scooby Regular

Your plan sounds good, good luck. I recognise this issue but in different circumstances.

As for Bubba po's comment on parental supervision your joking right ?? I have three sons 6, 4 and 6 months. I would leave the two older boys happily in the back garden without supervision unless they needed it. Although I do have 7 foot fences and a locked gate in two places.

My 4 year old was bitten on the face by a sheep dog very small bite luckily and i was stood next to him, the story goes we visited my Uncle in Wales and he has a tethered dog. It jumped up and looked great until one point my son crossed his kennel and the dog must have felt trapped or threatened by him and he went for him. Luckily I was three steps from him but it scared the **** out of me and my boys. I told my Uncle and he was in disbelief, almost as if I was lying and that’s a relative.

Then the other side is I used to own a house next to one which was rented. After a few months the neighbours changed and a drug addict moved in. She would play loud music till 3 am. I asked her to turn it down but she was that gone she needed a friend to hold her up to answer the door. Basically three more trips no response, called the police and she was moved on by her landlord. I always fear of her coming back to haunt me so I moved away as she had some stange friends.
Old 29 August 2005, 12:19 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Im not an expert on dogs so i dont know if it has the tatse for blood, It didnt rip the rabbit to pieces, it looks like it crushed it with its jaws , I managed to pick the boxer up and throw it back over the fence without it getting viscious, then the other boxer jumped over and i did the same.
Im rehersing what im going to say, i want to come across angry but not aggressive i dont think that will help, in all honesty the bloke is a bit of an alcholic and with a toddler and sick wife i dont need any ongoing **** :/

nobody's at home?

the dog killed your rabbit,
and you threw the dog back!

you are too kind,

i would open the fence and let it leave.

1, missing dog posters everywhere
2, maybe got run over by a car, just bad luck
3, or it may become vicious and people will call the dog catchers and put the damn mutt down

Last edited by wwp8; 29 August 2005 at 12:35 AM. Reason: surprised how nobody saw the mistake :D
Old 29 August 2005, 12:24 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

2 bed house, 3 large dogs ?

Something wrong there, I would never hurt an animal but I would defend my kids, dont care how big a dog is, if it comes into my garden snarling and killing things it gets politely asked to leave, a spade perhaps for persuasion.

Any decent owner would be mortified to hear what had happened and make damn sure it couldnt happen again.

My mums little Chiwauwa got attacked by a dog off a lead (some kind of terrier), started shaking it, my dad races out to this dog killing ours, mum screaming, he tries to prise its jaws open and it wouldnt let go, ours was all limp (thought it was dead) and as a last desperate measure he punches the dog, it let go, cos it was dead, ours survives.
Old 29 August 2005, 12:37 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

buy either an akita or tosa

and tell them "oh please make sure your dogs don't come over to my garden and hurt my dog
Old 29 August 2005, 12:44 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Really sorry to hear bout your loss So sad...

Neighbour needs the **** kicking out of him.
Old 29 August 2005, 01:09 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

oh yeah for your research only

http://www.fightingtosa.com/video.html

Quick Reply: [advice] Neighbours dog kills our rabbit