Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How reliable are HPI checks?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2005, 02:17 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How reliable are HPI checks?

Ive been trying to buya car for some time now.....I went and viewed a BMW 330ci convertible last night, and agreed a price....

HPI'd it today, and it is showing as having finance outstanding, even though the bloke I got it off claims to have paid off the finance in full over 4 months ago.......he has agreed to give me details of the finance company, but I dont think Im going to proceed simply because it is too much cash to part with for a potentially dodgy motor..

BUT..this is the 3rd car in a row where this has been the position....can HPI records really be so out of date or inaccurate....?

How can I be 100% sure there isnt finance outstanding on a car? Looks like Im the only one who buys things for cash these days!
Old 27 August 2005, 02:19 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

HPI checks are as reliable as the insurance and finance companies who record their data. Cars can be recorded months after theyve been sold as salvage..... Finance companies can be equally slack.

Simon
Old 27 August 2005, 02:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Btw; if the car still has outstanding and you buy it in ignorance, then you hold good title to the car. It's yours and the interested company can't recover it.

Simon
Old 27 August 2005, 02:29 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Btw; if the car still has outstanding and you buy it in ignorance, then you hold good title to the car. It's yours and the interested company can't recover it.

Simon
Surely that cant be the case..the car is the property of the finance company and they are entitled to take the car from you. I've never heard of this concept you mention...
Old 27 August 2005, 03:21 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Agree with Turboman.
I had the misfortune to buy a car with outstanding finance on it, which I knoew nothing about.

The finance company attempted to re-claim the car from me. Eventually, I got to keep the car, but it was a hard struggle against red-tape.
Old 27 August 2005, 03:57 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The Hire Purchase Act 1964 offers protection specifically where a motor vehicle which is the subject of an outstanding HP agreement is sold to a private purchaser. This is provided that the purchaser did not know about the agreement, or where they had been informed that the agreement had been settled. In this circumstance the finance company will have to pursue the dishonest seller for payment.

Regards

Simon
Old 27 August 2005, 04:08 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far guys, GC8 thanks for that info....

The seller is adamant that he has settled the finance in full, and he has given me fulldetails of the finance co., and I have spoken to them(checked the telephone numbers etc on the net), and they say the finance has indeed been settled but they have not notified experian, so apparently if I HPi it Tues it should be clear...

Has anyone any experience of how good the Hpi £10k indemity is if things still go wrong after I buy the car....

I know i must sound very cautious, but its the most expensive car Ive bought, and Im not going to part with a lot of hard saved money without checking everything out!
Old 27 August 2005, 04:41 PM
RAZ492
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up !!!!!!!!!!!!

Just make sure they confirm they have no further interest in the car, get them to fax over a confirmation which you keep for your own record and bob's your fathers brother ;-)

And as long as its clear on all the other HPI check-list you have a new motor on the drive !!!!!!!!!!!!.

Raz
Old 27 August 2005, 09:09 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 382 Likes on 304 Posts

the big problem with HPi, etc. is that they still only have information relating to that particular NUMBER PLATE not always the car you are looking at, if you get my drift............................

it will not tell you if someone has been really clever and changed or cloned the identity to hide a stolen vehicle.................

don't put all your faith in a bit of paper
Old 27 August 2005, 11:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

They work on the VIN number too.
Old 27 August 2005, 11:30 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stockcar
the big problem with HPi, etc. is that they still only have information relating to that particular NUMBER PLATE not always the car you are looking at, if you get my drift............................

it will not tell you if someone has been really clever and changed or cloned the identity to hide a stolen vehicle.................

don't put all your faith in a bit of paper
they now ask for the chassis number so this isnt correct, unless they have gone the whole hog on clone!

I however recently bought a car, and it showed as a cat e! the guy selling it was adamant he was the only owner from new and it had never been in an accident, I informed the hpi company of this and they said you need to check with ******** as these are the ones that have placed this on the vehicle, I checked with them and they said they could not confirm or deny this?!?!? wtf?

the guy I bought it off talked to them and they confirmed they had messed up, apparantly its hard to get it removed from the register once its been put on? but I got a written confirmation of the **** up, so not too worried.

jamo
Old 29 August 2005, 10:01 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 382 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
they now ask for the chassis number so this isnt correct, unless they have gone the whole hog on clone!

I however recently bought a car, and it showed as a cat e! the guy selling it was adamant he was the only owner from new and it had never been in an accident, I informed the hpi company of this and they said you need to check with ******** as these are the ones that have placed this on the vehicle, I checked with them and they said they could not confirm or deny this?!?!? wtf?

the guy I bought it off talked to them and they confirmed they had messed up, apparantly its hard to get it removed from the register once its been put on? but I got a written confirmation of the **** up, so not too worried.

jamo
what i meant was that the check can only confirm the aperwork/ numbers side of things...................will not tell you the car is a "ringer" or "clone".......................

people get carried away and think this is the 'be all and end all'

alyn
Old 30 August 2005, 10:09 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Just had another word with this (useless) finance company.....they still confirm the car is clear of finance, but they still havnt got around to faxing experian.....you would have thought that where this is their mistake, they would be falling over themselves to get it sorted...but the girl said she'll do it...'some time today'.....cheers luv!
Old 30 August 2005, 10:26 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't trust the HPi record at all. My last scoob was written off by my insurer. The next and last people who bought it had no idea it had been in an accident. The insurer hadn't recorded it at all. Probably for their own benefit.
Old 30 August 2005, 02:25 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

what happened to buying a 911 turboman786?
Old 30 August 2005, 03:30 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Ted, I should hang my head in shame I know!

996 plans are put on hold...I decided it would be more prudent to get a decent evryday car(ie the BMW), and buy another house......but I will get a 996 ...soon!
Old 30 August 2005, 03:47 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I had a ST170 that i purchased new about 8 months ago, was trading it on after 3 months as it was totally pants & when the Mercedes Dealer done an Hpi check on it, the car came up as a fcukin renault megane that was on one of the lease agreements Took a few days of effing & blinding with various people to get it sorted out

Fcukin arseh*les