Horse riding & tack

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 10:41 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horse riding & tack

Hi horsey people

I'm looking to start horse riding, can anyone tell me the best tack to buy, only secondhand like boots, jodhpurs and hat? Best place to go - I'm in the Bucks / Berks area but will travel. Ebay is first to try I guess.

Also has any one got any tips when buying.

Thx
little'un
Old 25 August 2005, 10:50 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little'un
Hi horsey people

I'm looking to start horse riding, can anyone tell me the best tack to buy, only secondhand like boots, jodhpurs and hat? Best place to go - I'm in the Bucks / Berks area but will travel. Ebay is first to try I guess.

Also has any one got any tips when buying.

Thx
little'un
If you are just starting out, you need jods, boots, hat and possibly body protector. Firstly jods are a god send, the seam is on the outside and wont rub when riding, jeans are a no no. Rubber boots are also good, but I prefer jodphur boots and chaps, they are much comfier(sp). Will also last longer. A hat is a must, you must not ride without one. Most schools wont let you anyway. A jockey skull cap is the most universal, and you can swop colours according to your mood. Do not buy a second hand hat. Its like buying a motorcycle helmet, it mus'nt(sp) have touched the ground. A body protector is a good investment, however they are very expensive. If you dont mind the odd bump, then they are not important, however, should you fall off and get dragged they can pay for themselves. I have one, however i have only worn it twice in 3 years. I prefer the 'commando' style . If you need any more info just let me know. After 26 years in the saddle, i feel qualified to comment on most things horsey
Old 25 August 2005, 11:17 PM
SHESCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Linds

Give us a shout tomorrow I have a few bits that I dont use you can have or you can take a trip to Catlips in Chorleywood, where I use to keep my horses They do second hand stuff brilliant place. They are down to earth people and not the upper class the horse industry brings

You can come to Blenheim in September to the horse trials i'm up there

Last edited by SHESCOOBY; 25 August 2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 26 August 2005, 11:15 AM
scoobybitch
Scooby Regular

If you can find some steel toe capped boots I'd buy them over normal. I had a Welsh Cob x Dales and she broke both my little toes, after that always had steel toe caps! I agree with steffiraf - buy your hat new, most riding schools now have shops attached, have a look. Body protectors are good but if your only just starting out wait a while and see if your going to keep it up, as steffiraf said they are expensive. If you can get some riding gloves as well, I remember when I first started the horse I rode had rubber grip reins and liked to pull, my little finger used to get sore until I got used to it. Good luck with it!
Old 26 August 2005, 02:38 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steffiraf and scoobybitch

Kaz - good to talk to you again hun...I'll give Snowball Equestrian centre a visit tomorrow if I have chance. I think I'm gonna need those jodhpurs and boots
ooh - can't wait now...