Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do freeview aerails and normals aerials have the same connetions?

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2005, 10:13 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do freeview aerails and normals aerials have the same connetions?

Am I right in thinking that they use the same cable or is it different stuff for the uprated freeview aerials?

My freeview reception is a crap and can hardly pick up anything but have been told that I need a better aerial. If I do get one I would want it to hook up to the current wiring so I didnt have to redo it all.
Old 16 August 2005, 10:17 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can hook it to the same co-ax cable, but if you can, you'd be better upgrading to a higher quality co-ax similar to that used for Cable / Satellite, bit like running your performance car on Tesco's basic 4 star rather than Optimax . The end connectors may be different by default, often "F" type - the screw in ones, but you can swap them over or get convertors.
Old 16 August 2005, 10:24 AM
Reality
BANNED

Wiring should be fine.

Just the aerial needs replacing by the sounds of things.

OllyK Sounds like a dodgy Sky Installer - Oh yes mate - you'll need to re-wire the whole house to get optimum reception .

Aerial = Big Improvement
re-wire = one pixel improvement.

imo

Old 16 August 2005, 10:27 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Wiring should be fine.

Just the aerial needs replacing by the sounds of things.

OllyK Sounds like a dodgy Sky Installer - Oh yes mate - you'll need to re-wire the whole house to get optimum reception .

Aerial = Big Improvement
re-wire = one pixel improvement.

imo

A lot depends on the quality of what is there and how long a run it is, sure, it will work with existing coax, but if you can upgrade it, it's worth considering doing it. The coax isn't pricey, I got 100m for £30 or so off the guy that fitted my areil & sky dish so I could run it to all the rooms in the house from the distribution box in the roof.
Old 16 August 2005, 10:31 AM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by OllyK
A lot depends on the quality of what is there and how long a run it is, sure, it will work with existing coax, but if you can upgrade it, it's worth considering doing it. The coax isn't pricey, I got 100m for £30 or so off the guy that fitted my areil & sky dish so I could run it to all the rooms in the house from the distribution box in the roof.
Fairy Nuff .

Not sure the improvements will be comparable to the step up from Tesco's finest to Optimax though .

If it's gonna cost £30 then it might be worth considering - If someone else is gonna do it and charge £100 it looks about the same VFM as a pikey fixing your roof
Old 16 August 2005, 10:38 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Fairy Nuff .

Not sure the improvements will be comparable to the step up from Tesco's finest to Optimax though .

If it's gonna cost £30 then it might be worth considering - If someone else is gonna do it and charge £100 it looks about the same VFM as a pikey fixing your roof
I probably saw the big difference due to the old cable we had being a pile of poo, badly kinked in places and the insulation damaged. I dunno, just passing on what the TV guy said. He was a small independant, nice guy and pretty cheap, and I didn't get the impression he was bull$hitting about the cable. I guess it's a bit like some Hi-fi nuts saying they can tell the difference between 79 and 82 strand copper wire for speakers
Old 16 August 2005, 11:08 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If you live in a poor reception area, then upgrading the coax cable to a twin screened foil type will help, especially on long runs(attenuation of signal). A good quality wide band aerial will allow better pickup of digital programmes and less dropout of signal, due to them being transmitted across a wider uhf spectrum, but if you have a very good reception area then you can generally use a bog standard cheap aerial and cable setup.

nb raising the aerial up high as possible will help a great deal, especially if you have buildings, trees or shadow from hillsides in the way. Always use t-k brackets mounted into the wall, large chimney and large diameter poles when going beyond normal pole length.

Last edited by andy97; 16 August 2005 at 11:16 AM.