How to avoid a war with the neighbours

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 12:05 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to avoid a war with the neighbours

Hi everyone,

I am just after some advice about this one really.

Basically we have 3 cats and they pretty much roam as they want and they get brought in over night. Now no one in the street has a problem with them really (excluding the dotty old bat next door who thinks its her cat that died 20 years ago, but shes harmless really - see my mad old biddy thread)

Next door the other way. He likes the cats and would like some but his wife hates them, and they have put chicken wire up over their back gate etc. I dont really mind this tbh as its theirs to do with as they wish.

However things have kind of started to go downhill because

a) The girlfriend (mine) has too big of a mouth on her
b) The woman next door threw water over the cats when they were just sitting on the fence minding their own business. The water also got girlfriend. There was no argument but the girlfriend made her displeasure clear by turning on the stereo full blast with scooter playing

Now next door have put chicken wire on the shared communal alleyway (it just appeared overnight so they must have done it on the sly) so the cats cant get either into our back garden or front garden and are effectivly trapped until we open up the house.

This is a less than ideal situation and im just wondering how to go about resolving it without saying "sorry my girlfriend is a loud mouthed bint" but also they bare some responsability for bieng a bit funny re: the cats.

The cats btw, dont go to the toilet outside, they come into the house to do their business 1s and 2s. so there is no crapping in anyones garden to cause issues.

Any ideas gratefully recieved as I want to nip this in the bud asap because up until a week or so ago, everything was fine, chattin etc etc. But now im anxious to sort this as it is clearly going the wrong way.
Old 15 August 2005, 12:14 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

tbh if the water got your girlfriend she had the right to have a go, even though she didnt. I know I would have done. as for the mesh, if its interfering with your property Id rip it down and chuck it into thier garden

Neighbours can be such a pain. but I can see the reason for trying to get along. next time water comes over the fence get the hose pipe out, theyre looking for confrontation so give it too em I say. Just a matter of who has the better battle in them
Old 15 August 2005, 12:18 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

pmsl @ Dave..... Thats really avoiding the War!!

To be honest, if it were me, **** them, I'd follow Dave's instructions to the letter......

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 August 2005, 12:27 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

if you try to play it amicably theyre gonna think theyve got you on the back foot and they intimidate you, Hence play it from a strong stance early on and try to scare them off first.

and if they keep being ar$ey about the cats then empty the litter tray over the garden fence LMAO
Old 15 August 2005, 12:33 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cat flap or change g/f ??
Old 15 August 2005, 12:35 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

You need to take responsiblity for your pets (like owners of every other species do) and stop releasing them freely into the environment. Problem solved.
Old 15 August 2005, 12:38 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

But if the cats arent unloading on their lawn or destroying anything... then surely there is no harm done?!

Does that mean that if the bint next door didnt like birds, could she gun down any low flying **** that dared come into her garden??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 August 2005, 12:46 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
But if the cats arent unloading on their lawn or destroying anything... then surely there is no harm done?!
Funnily enough every cat owner claims their 'Tiddles' doesn't do any of the things that cats do. It's part of the irrational delusion that some owners suffer from.

Does that mean that if the bint next door didnt like birds, could she gun down any low flying **** that dared come into her garden??

Cheers,
Grant
If those birds were non-indigenous and were only there because someone had released them because they couldn't be bothered to look after them properly then you would have a good case. If they are indigenous, naturally occurring species then tough ****.
Old 15 August 2005, 12:47 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
....then tough ****.

PMSL....

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 August 2005, 12:48 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

The trouble is if you don't like cats then you don't like cats! There never seems to be any middle ground.

To be honest if I had any neighbours (I don't) and their cats just roamed in my garden freely, shítting and whatever else, then I'd take an easier route than your neighbours.

Well done for wanting to sort it though but I feel the lady doesn't like *her* space being invaded by what she probably thinks are 'uncared for cats that are just allowed to roam ***** nilly'.

Be a man and pop round to chat to her, if she's not interested then you tried.
Old 15 August 2005, 12:50 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

The cats btw, dont go to the toilet outside, they come into the house to do their business 1s and 2s. so there is no crapping in anyones garden to cause issues.
Yeah riiiiight. How can you be sure? Do the cats tell you?

lol
Old 15 August 2005, 12:55 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

One thing's for sure. This thread will quickly go down hill. Mods intervene middle of page 2??
Old 15 August 2005, 12:59 PM
King RA
BANNED

Cats cause so many bloody problems, at then end of the day why should your neighbours have to put up with them??

P.S I am not anti cat in any way, more just anti cat owners. They're all the same type of people (idiots)
Old 15 August 2005, 01:15 PM
Reality
BANNED

Ask your neighbour if they know anything about the chicken wire in the shared alleyway.

If they do tell them that it's causing your cats problems with access to their home.

If they tell you "tough ****" then smack the bloke.

HTH

copyright ***scoobybabe*** all rights reserved 2005.
Old 15 August 2005, 01:17 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cats were once worshipped as gods, they have not forgoten this and like to remind us now and then

ajm
Old 15 August 2005, 01:19 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

cats+ajm = war
Old 15 August 2005, 01:25 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Your local RSPCA / Feline refuge will be happy to take the cats off your hands, saving you money and your neighbours grief.
Old 15 August 2005, 01:26 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Cats were once worshipped as gods, they have not forgoten this and like to remind us now and then

ajm
and cows are sacred, but I don't see many owners allowing them to roam around your perrenials!
Old 15 August 2005, 01:27 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by OllyK
Your local RSPCA / Feline refuge will be happy to take the cats off your hands, saving you money and your neighbours grief.
And if you post up a piccie of your girlfriend we may be able to help out there too .
Old 15 August 2005, 01:31 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

One wonders what possible justification there is for owning 3 animals that spend 99% of their time as wild animals and only 1% of their time as pets.

Surely one cat that spends 100% as a pet (i.e. under its owner's control) would a better option.
Old 15 August 2005, 01:40 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by ajm
One wonders what possible justification there is for owning 3 animals that spend 99% of their time as wild animals and only 1% of their time as pets.

Surely one cat that spends 100% as a pet (i.e. under its owner's control) would a better option.
The beauty of most cats is that they only annoy their owner for 1% of the time - the rest of it they're annoying the likes of you
Old 15 August 2005, 01:44 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
The beauty of most cats is that they only annoy their owner for 1% of the time - the rest of it they're annoying the likes of you
Yes, and I represent a level headed and growing proportion of the population, which is why this issue is becoming more and more prevalent. Gone are the days when the likes of you, the selfish animal owners, can expect to get away with such neglect!
Old 15 August 2005, 01:47 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rik1471
Yeah riiiiight. How can you be sure? Do the cats tell you?

lol
Because we have seen them do it, and smelt it.
Old 15 August 2005, 01:48 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by ajm
Yes, and I represent a level headed and growing proportion of the population, which is why this issue is becoming more and more prevalent. Gone are the days when the likes of you, the selfish animal owners, can expect to get away with such neglect!
It's scary how much you sound like old man lewis!
Old 15 August 2005, 01:49 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by ajm
Hey - My two pussies are always under my control. Will & Gav don't go outside the boundary of our property.

The fat little b@stards can't jump the fence .
Old 15 August 2005, 01:50 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Because we have seen them do it, and smelt it.
You do realise they could be doing it elsewhere aswell? Oh, of course not, not your 'Tiddles'.... 'Tiddles' would NEVER do such a thing? Right?
Old 15 August 2005, 01:52 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
It's scary how much you sound like old man lewis!
I don't know if you've noticed, but our political leanings are subtley different!
Old 15 August 2005, 01:52 PM
Reality
BANNED

Old 15 August 2005, 01:53 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Hey - My two pussies are always under my control. Will & Gav don't go outside the boundary of our property.

The fat little b@stards can't jump the fence .
Well good for you Reality, in that case!

You are shining example of what cat owners should aspire to!

Quick Reply: How to avoid a war with the neighbours