Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has your local Asian shopkeeper taken an English nickname?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2005, 03:03 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Has your local Asian shopkeeper taken an English nickname?

We have two in our village; the closest one to us's real name is Deepti Patel, but he calls himself Dave. The one further up the village I can't remember, but he calls himself Tony. Is it a country-wide phenomenon?
Old 14 August 2005, 03:05 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

An aquaintance who owned a Chinese took the name Alan. I couldnt ever pronounce his first name, but it ended with a 2 - 3 second 'aaaaaaagh' so it was for the better.

Old 14 August 2005, 03:07 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Bubba po
We have two in our village; the closest one to us's real name is Deepti Patel, but he calls himself Dave. The one further up the village I can't remember, but he calls himself Tony. Is it a country-wide phenomenon?

lol its common with hindu's and sikhs mate even some muslims do

see the hindu and sikh names can be very long and some english folk cant pronounce it like

sukhshinder or hardeep for harry and sandeep for sandy etc

and some hindus can be very long like ram krishana hari etc so they call them rammy or harry
Old 14 August 2005, 03:07 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Knew someone at uni who was called Sandeep but much preferred people to called him Sandy - and to be honest most people thought it was Sandy anyway as it sounds so similar!
Old 14 August 2005, 03:08 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Petem95
Knew someone at uni who was called Sandeep but much preferred people to called him Sandy - and to be honest most people thought it was Sandy anyway as it sounds so similar!

yeah true they call me mo" short for moses
but i prefer moses or waseem both my names
Old 14 August 2005, 03:10 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

My mate Maqsood from Uni just called himself Max, which I could understand, but Tony and Dave seemed a bit capricious.
Old 14 August 2005, 03:11 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

My mate Maqsood from Uni just called himself Max, which I could understand, but Tony and Dave seemed a bit capricious.

lol too right mate max is short for maqsood my uncle archie he has always been called archie since school
Old 14 August 2005, 03:14 PM
john sugar
Scooby Regular

Guy near me calls himself colin
Old 14 August 2005, 03:15 PM
zxr750Nick
Scooby Regular

The Opimax Shop, (where I used to spend the same amount as the gross national product of a small country) in Andover has an assistant called Elvis.

Top name.

Nick
Old 14 August 2005, 03:17 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by zxr750Nick
The Opimax Shop, (where I used to spend the same amount as the gross national product of a small country) in Andover has an assistant called Elvis.

Top name.

Nick
elvis is common with greased hair asians they luv elvis the elderly folk
mind u the older generation have greased up hair too like elvis its in the elders custom to get their hair massaged with olive oil or mustard oil for strength and healthy hair
Old 14 August 2005, 03:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I like "Entwhistle" the Chinese electrician in "Last of the Summer Wine" I think when he was asked what his name was when he was in Scotland he sald it was a name like MacDougal or something!

Les
Old 14 August 2005, 03:22 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Yeah there's shop by me and the Asian guys name is Paul.

One of my lecturers at collage was an Asian guy and his actual name Jeff Davis, always wanted to ask him how he ended up with a name like that but didn’t know if he’d take offence to it or not.
Old 14 August 2005, 03:22 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Leslie
I like "Entwhistle" the Chinese electrician in "Last of the Summer Wine" I think when he was asked what his name was when he was in Scotland he sald it was a name like MacDougal or something!

Les

entwhistle is a gaelic type name and celtic

like armgard goldenhand and morgan etc

ents from lord of the rings were cool

no bull **** their was a chinese lad who used to work for his uncle in his takeaway in east kilbride i used to work in one of my dads shops their ages ago

his name was ming dong haha used to make me laff sorry , ding dong ming dong ping pong

sorry to my chinese brethren i didnt mean it, just the name i found funny
Old 14 August 2005, 03:24 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I didn't actually mean to restrict this to shopkeepers. It's just that there isn't a large Asian community in our village. I suppose it would stand to reason that many people would resort to nicknames. In fact, I bet loads do, now I come to think about it.
Old 14 August 2005, 03:24 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Tim-Grove
Yeah there's shop by me and the Asian guys name is Paul.

One of my lecturers at collage was an Asian guy and his actual name Jeff Davis, always wanted to ask him how he ended up with a name like that but didn’t know if he’d take offence to it or not.

paul is for pal or satpal singh etc

lol jeff davies maybe he wasnt asian and he was fijian they got western names mate

or maybe he was half white and half asian and kept the western name of his dad but stayed dark like chocolate coz his mums side maybe she was very dark then a half kid usually takes that tone as well
Old 14 August 2005, 03:25 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

I didn't actually mean to restrict this to shopkeepers. It's just that there isn't a large Asian community in our village. I suppose it would stand to reason that many people would resort to nicknames. In fact, I bet loads do, now I come to think about it.
did u know alot of white woman have nice arabic and asian names

like aisha and aaliyah their arabic and no bull yasmin as well
Old 14 August 2005, 03:26 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

one more thing david, john etc r arabic names too

we muslims name our kids daud after king david and solomon as sulemain king solomon son of david

and yahya is john the baptist

so some muslims may call themselves david after daud etc
Old 14 August 2005, 03:29 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Are you into LOTR, Moses? Maqsood, who I mentioned earlier, was fanatical about the whole Middle Earth thing. He actually had all the genealogies of the Elves, Men of Numenor, Dwarves and Hobbits all in his head along with all the battles, prophecies and whatnot. He had to be physically restrained if he ever got into his stride with recounting that stuff, or he would have gone on for days. LOL.
Old 14 August 2005, 03:35 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Are you into LOTR, Moses? Maqsood, who I mentioned earlier, was fanatical about the whole Middle Earth thing. He actually had all the genealogies of the Elves, Men of Numenor, Dwarves and Hobbits all in his head along with all the battles, prophecies and whatnot. He had to be physically restrained if he ever got into his stride with recounting that stuff, or he would have gone on for days. LOL.

lol im a big fan mate of lotr since i was a wee boy and also the hobbit was my first book when i was very young at school, i missed the hobbit pantomime coz of measels , i was hurt

yes mate the lotr's is a bit of the islamic story of gog and magog

the towers and a war of people causing chaos, the 2 horned one( in the quran) 2 horned helmet, some say it was cyrus and some say it was alexander, but no one knows who it was

God gave this person dominion and power and he to control those people who caused chaos and war built this great barrier between them and the other civilians

and some scholars say their will be a final battle but thats story is not in the quran but the traditions
and the one eyed sauron is a muslim traditional enemy not from the quran but from the traditions

some associate it with the born again and zionist enemy the freemasons etc and some called the dajjal the one eyed beast the anti christ who jesus will kill and liberate palestine

the dajjal is suppoed to be the fake messiah the jews will have and jesus will come to fight it

but that story aint supported by the quran

so only God and the messenger know the truth

so some muslims compare that with the lord of the rings story

but the 2 horned warrior is a true story, its in the quran, but no one knows who he is cyrus or alexander
Old 14 August 2005, 04:13 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i know a few chinese people and they all have english names, along with there usual ones

one of them uses this board
Old 14 August 2005, 04:26 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

There are two reasons for taking/ giving in to an English nickname.

1.Not necessorily that people are ashamed of their real Asian names or sumthing but British people do have problem speaking Asian names.So,its easier to have a British nickname for British people's convenience.

2.Secondly,some of the British born Asians feel more fitted in with the British society I suppose for very similar reason stated in No.1 reason.

Both reasons are valid and not a laughing stock.BTW,my name is Swati and some of my Welsh friends had prob speaking it so they call me "Fred"
Now I havent adapted it but I got given this name by Tom Rosedale and his missus.
I just call both of them mr and mrs Dunda-heads in revenge and they love it

Moses, my son's nickname( my mother gave him this name in India; it wasnt given for any British convenience)is Momo.My British family call him Mo.

His real name is Kanishk.His mates call him kay.He got given this name.he'd rather be called Kanishk.

Lets face it British are lazy.They cant be bothered speaking a mouthful and like shorthening everyone's names.

PS- BTW, we arent shop keepers

Last edited by Turbohot; 15 August 2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 14 August 2005, 04:32 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i know a few chinese people and they all have english names, along with there usual ones

one of them uses this board

u mean andy tang
Old 14 August 2005, 04:32 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

My local PO master is called Ashwin, aparently this is englishized Never had the guts to ask what his real name is. Very nice guy though, even nice to me first thing in the morning when I nip in there on my way to work for my smokes and I haven't had my coffee.
Old 14 August 2005, 04:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
My local PO master is called Ashwin, aparently this is englishized Never had the guts to ask what his real name is. Very nice guy though, even nice to me first thing in the morning when I nip in there on my way to work for my smokes and I haven't had my coffee.
Simon, Ashwin is a pure Indian name derived from ancient Hindu language called Sanskrit.
This name has just reminded me of a boy I used to play badminton with back home.He was a top man!

Last edited by Turbohot; 15 August 2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 14 August 2005, 04:35 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Turbohot
There are two reasons for taking/ giving in to an English nickname.

1.Not necessorily that people are ashamed of their real Asian names or sumthing but British people do have problem speaking Asian names.So,its easier to have a British nickname for British people's convenience.

2.Secondly,some of the British born Asians feel more fitted in with the British society I suppose for very similar reason stated in No.1 reason.

Both reasons are valid and not a laughing stock.BTW,my name is Swati and some of my Welsh friends had prob speaking it so they call me "Fred"
Now I havent adapted it but I got given this name by Tom Rosedale and his missus.
I just call both of them mr and mrs Dunda-heads and they love it

Moses, my son's nickname( my mother gave him this name in India; it wasnt given for any British convenience)is Momo.My British family call him Mo.

His real name is Kanishk.His mates call him kay.He got given this name.he'd rather be called Kanishk.

Lets face it British are lazy.They cant be bothered speaking a mouthful and like shorthening everyone's names.

PS- BTW, we arent shop keepers

lol the last paragraph made me laff too right just too lazy to pronounce long names

lol swati thats an excellent name sis your son has mo thats me as well he can call me mamu aka uncle in punjabi
Old 14 August 2005, 04:37 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
u mean andy tang
nope ive never met andy tang in my life
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
lol swati thats an excellent name sis your son has mo thats me as well he can call me mamu aka uncle in punjabi
Yaye!!!

moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
nope ive never met andy tang in my life

no worries coz he is the famous chinese brit here
Old 14 August 2005, 04:38 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Yaye!!!

i made up a ryme for u sis

swati likes roti and gets moti haha u like it sis
Old 14 August 2005, 04:40 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

My Ex-husband who is a white scoucer insisted on both my kids having Indian names.my daughter is called Shibani.All her mates and even teachers call her Shib.
How lazy is that!

Last edited by Turbohot; 15 August 2005 at 12:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Has your local Asian shopkeeper taken an English nickname?