Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Student Loan Almost Paid Off - YIPEE!

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2005, 01:10 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Student Loan Almost Paid Off - YIPEE!

What a feeling, not often i post a thread like this but i just feel so relieved now i'm almost there.

I went to Uni for a year borrowing circa £3500 before deciding it wasn't hands-on enough for me and started a Modern Apprenticeship. Since then interest accrued to the tune of £4000 until i began paying it back nearly two years ago.

Since i started my full-time job i've been donating +/- £200 a month to the Student Loans Company. What's worse is they take a percentage rather than a fixed amount so they've taken huge chunks of any bonuses and O/T i've worked.

But alas, i got my final annual statement in this morning accounting for all the money i paid back last year (nigh on 3k ) and stating what i owed as of the beginning of April. I quickly dug out all my payslips since then and have calculated that in two months time i will have paid back every penny.

I always promised myself i'd buy my dream Impreza once the loan was paid off, just got to find one now.
Old 10 August 2005, 01:13 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Nice one!... now you'll have car repayments to look forward to!
Old 10 August 2005, 01:13 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Old 10 August 2005, 01:24 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Originally Posted by ajm
Nice one!... now you'll have car repayments to look forward to!
and I doubt the interest rate will be as low as Student Loans are alledgedly
Old 10 August 2005, 02:27 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

phone them up now and ask for a settlement figure. that's what i did and saved a few quid - my wife did the same, so it's not a one-off
Old 10 August 2005, 02:31 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Student ****in loans - what happened to grants?
Old 10 August 2005, 02:34 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

that's what i wondered, but then the cheques started to arrive - year 1 £12.50 year 2 £1something and year 3 nothing
Old 10 August 2005, 02:49 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

If you'd have voted Monster Raving Looney at the last election and your name was Grant, you wouldn't have had to pay student loans back! lol
Old 10 August 2005, 02:53 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

almost forgot about my student loan.

how long before it times out and debt is cleared?
Old 10 August 2005, 02:58 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

i think the payback time was a max of 25 yrs but that's only from memory. not sure what happens after that though - maybe they do write it off?? when i took the loans out, they said i'd have to start paying it back within a year of earning over £10k pa.
Old 10 August 2005, 03:02 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Only 23 years to go then.
Old 10 August 2005, 03:24 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Car repayments i can handle, at least then there is something to show for it. Although a good suggestion, i'm not going to be settling early as i've just moved house and my wallet has taken a real battering lately.

I heard about a guy once who took the full loan over 4 years but because he could rather than because he needed it. Anyway, he ended up with around 15k in a high-interest account and then got a job whereby the debt he accrued as a student was written off. B'stard.
Old 10 August 2005, 03:35 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rik1471
Student ****in loans - what happened to grants?
New Labia scrapped them.
Old 10 August 2005, 03:43 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Typical
Old 10 August 2005, 04:24 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Students have to repay what £££ they've drunk, whats wrong with that?
Old 10 August 2005, 05:09 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Bugger, im in 10k debt and trying to start a Masters in Sept for 9k. I do not drink or smoke etc before all the booze jokes, I just like classy 'hos for £40/hr.
Kam
Old 10 August 2005, 05:19 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Paying for education is not right IMO

Previously, students were encouraged to go to university and a contribution made towards accommodation etc.

It is to the benefit of the country and economy to have people with further and higher education.

Why should one be deprived of education just because they cannot afford it?

...and before any mentions 'means testing' it's a load of nonsense.

Bob
Old 10 August 2005, 05:27 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Paying for education is not right IMO
You happy to pay a few more pence on your tax rate to pay for the students?

I went to uni, in doing so I'm bettering myself and earn a fair bit more than if I didn't go and I paid (in part) for it. Debt now cleared off too.

In utopia everyone goes to uni all paid for but this isn't feasible or practical unless you wanna rack up the tax rate or get serious industry investment.

It was alright in the old days as a LOT less people went to uni so it was relatively affordable to the taxpayer.
Old 10 August 2005, 05:29 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
It was alright in the old days as a LOT less people went to uni so it was relatively affordable to the taxpayer.
Plus the world needs ditch diggers and bin men too!
Old 10 August 2005, 05:36 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

lol
Old 10 August 2005, 05:42 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I personally have no problem paying slightly higher tax, to help people get educated and help the future of our economy.

Getting students to pay for their living cost is one thing, but to get them to pay 'fees' for University courses is wrong.

There was talk of varying fees for different Universities quite some time back. Can't recall if it happened or not? Better the University the more it costs to get in. Very elitist.

Bob
Old 10 August 2005, 05:52 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

From what I remember, the student loans were paid off within 6 years of graduating. I don't think they were big to begin with (I'm being vague cos they weren't my loans!) but we only ever paid a fixed amount, we didn't get hit with a proportional rise/fall in salary. However they're all paid now so we get to keep the £70 or so a month
I did get a grant in my final year as my brother was also at uni at the same time. I got the amaing sum of £55 for the whole year - it didn't even cover the cost of 2 required text books
Old 10 August 2005, 06:23 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Im a university student, I believe students should have to pay for their education.

I get the minimum student loan, no travel expenses allowance and no bursary. My only problem with this is that I see others getting handed 4 figure sums each year they don't need to pay back (travel expenses + bursary).

I don't believe that on most courses students don't have time to work, working part time gives students basic skills that a lot sadly don't have.

I work approx 20 hours per week during term and average of 40 a week out of term. The only help I receive from my parents is a roof and when I am occasionally in the house food on the table.

A lot of people are just passing time at university and there's no reason I (I pay taxes) or anyone else should have to pay anymore to help allow them to do this.
Old 10 August 2005, 08:56 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Just a pity degrees aren't "worth" as much as they were even 10 years ago, every sods got one now

A levels went the same way, I remember being a nipper and some guy over the road doing A levels and everyone was like woah they are really hard.

Now if you haven't got a phd or a million masters you're just normal
Old 10 August 2005, 10:23 PM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

I dont even want to think about paying this off.

Mine has a long way to go yet! OUCH
Old 10 August 2005, 10:38 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard_P
Im a university student, I believe students should have to pay for their education.

I get the minimum student loan, no travel expenses allowance and no bursary. My only problem with this is that I see others getting handed 4 figure sums each year they don't need to pay back (travel expenses + bursary).

I don't believe that on most courses students don't have time to work, working part time gives students basic skills that a lot sadly don't have.

I work approx 20 hours per week during term and average of 40 a week out of term. The only help I receive from my parents is a roof and when I am occasionally in the house food on the table.

A lot of people are just passing time at university and there's no reason I (I pay taxes) or anyone else should have to pay anymore to help allow them to do this.
I agree with a lot of this post but one aspect of it, regarding '4 figure sums they dont have to pay back' i am not aware of ?? What sort of people are eligible for this?? I only say this because if anybody is entitled to this its probably me (Single parent family, long commute.. etc etc), and I want everything thats coming to me

Incidentally, I am starting my second year in October and im already c.£5k in the hole with student loans. Cant say im particularly bothered but then its not nice looking at your bank balance and never seeing it move upwards.
Old 10 August 2005, 11:55 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Student Debt is not new

I qualified in 1982 £4.2 K in debt and I will finally break even when I am 62 years old

D I V O R C E !! ... LOL

Midlife.....
Old 11 August 2005, 10:39 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

For reference here around 2.5k of my 3.5k went on student accomodation. I stayed (still do) over 35 miles from the university and travelling wasn't a feasible option at the time. However, the other grand was spent on beer and cars.

As far as i'm concerned university was an expensive mistake for me. I'd have accumulated 14k's worth of debt and at the end of it had a relatively poorly paid job (if i could find one). I'll admit that any job a degree could've gotten me may have been more interesting than the one i'm doing now but i don't have any regrets. Glad i got out when i did!

The girlfriend did a degree in nursing and she got around £600 a quarter in a bursary. An (and i use the term very loosely) acquaintance of hers has three kids, lives in council accomodation with her boyfriend (also a student) and started the same course a few years after the gf is getting a four figure bursary.
Old 11 August 2005, 10:47 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard_P
Whether people try at Uni or not is nothing to do with this argument; those people should be dealt with by the Uni and kicked out if need be. The argument is that people wishing to better themselves and continue with higher education should not have to pay to do so.
Old 11 August 2005, 09:35 PM
FiNbAr
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by rik1471
Whether people try at Uni or not is nothing to do with this argument; those people should be dealt with by the Uni and kicked out if need be. The argument is that people wishing to better themselves and continue with higher education should not have to pay to do so.
You have to draw a line somewhere though mate surely?

Half the courses these days don't actually teach any practical life skills which allow the student to obtain a worthwhile, contributary job. They do though provide the student with 4 years of f@nnying around with his/her mates getting bladdered on half price lager.

I was lucky in that my IT degree got me a decent job with decent prospects, but i could never claim to have been interested in IT. It's dull as fvck. I did it because it was an education to get me a job. Half the students these days do poxy courses about 'film studies' or something because they quite like watching films, then they moan when theres no job at the end of it for them. All the while the working population of the country is supposed to subsidise them to the hilt while they sit around jerking off to black and white spanish movies about allegorical donkeys.

p.s. Left uni 8.5 years ago and i'm still paying back my student loans. No complaints though, I spent them on cars, beers and birds.

Quick Reply: Student Loan Almost Paid Off - YIPEE!