Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Windows and Doors

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2005, 10:21 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows and Doors

Thinking about replacing our wooden windows with nice secure PVC.

Bit of a minefield as lots of stories about pressure selling etc, anyone got some advice as to prices, which companies to avoid etc etc.
Old 10 August 2005, 10:26 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

At the cheap end is safestyle. Can be rather high pressure sell, units are of OK quality, looking at under £500 per unit fitted. Quality of the fitters can be highly variable, we had a good bunch and a builder and me watching them like a hawk, but I have heard horror stories.

Everest are supposed to be very good but also very pricey.

Consider independants in your area, or have a look down your road and see if there are any you like the look of, then go and ask the people who did it.

My parents live in the Midlands, but ended up going to some firm in Essex for PVC sash windows.
Old 10 August 2005, 10:34 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Your local Police Station may be able to recommend some companies who supply secure units upto the latest regualtions. When I had a CPO round to check my new house he was telling me a few stories of how a local firm was contracted to do an entire council estate, and a few weeks later loads of houses with the same windows were broken into. The thieving chavs just used their own new windows as a training course, found the weeknesses and then targeted whoever had the same.
Old 10 August 2005, 11:07 AM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Avoid Weatherseal, Vastly overinflated prices imho, also once you speak to the they will never leave you along afterwards, for years to come.
Local People are sometimes best, It depends on your criteria, safety, style or cost.

Daz
Old 10 August 2005, 12:57 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I had safestyle come out and spec up our house. I found they were VERY hard selling.

Products did look good though.

Darren
Old 10 August 2005, 01:18 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Try your local double glazing people. Remember to stipulate you want the window beads on the inside - this prevents people from de-glazing them from the outside, a common burglar's trick. For thermal insulation, the windows should comply with Document L of the building regulations.

[edit] Try the Glass & Glazing Federation website for a list of approved fitters.

Last edited by MJW; 10 August 2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10 August 2005, 01:27 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Thumbs up

Once they're in, make sure you hang onto the receipts and documents since there was some law passed for any windows / doors fitted after April 02 for when you want to sell up.
Old 10 August 2005, 01:33 PM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

My other half is an ex window fitter. He worked for Staybrite. They are a bit pricey but instist on a good standard of work. He then worked for a local company and they were cheaper and were more worried about the quality of work as it was their reputation on the line. Best go to a local company that has been trading for a few years.
Old 10 August 2005, 01:37 PM
john sugar
Scooby Regular

I have perspex windows, they do the trick & for minimal cost also

I made them myself
Old 10 August 2005, 02:10 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Matt,

I used these guys to do mine before I sold my house last year, they're based in the industrial estate behind the Simpsons Subaru service place in Highworth.

Countryside Conservatories (Wiltshire) Ltd
6 Blackworth Court, Blackworth Industrial Estate, Highworth, Wiltshire SN6 7NS
Tel: 01793 766077

They were CONSIDERABLY cheaper than the next cheapest quote I had, and eventually did a top job. I say eventually as they did put one window in crooked, but I pointed it out to the boss/owner (Glen Harris) and he agreed it was totally cack and made the fitters come out and re-fit it again the next day in their own time.

They were all nice and neat. They settled a bit within a few weeks of being fitted (as most new windows/doors will) but the fitters just come back out and adjust the hinges if you give them a call.

Whichever company you use, don't leave them alone in your house - make sure you or the missus are there at all times. I popped home at lunchtime on the first day (just to see how things were going) and found the fitters had the Sky TV on and cranked up super-loud through the hifi, had used my landline phone to ring a mobile, and had used my cooker to cook a meal.

I'd tried to be nice and left some beers out for them too, and had said they could use the kettle to make tea/coffee etc. I guess ANY workmen could potentially do this though, give em an inch and they'll likely take a mile.

Their boss agreed that they'd taken some serious liberties and had a right go at them, reimbursed me for the phonecall, and made them apologise.

Also consider these guys based just down the road in Minety:

Classic Windows & Conservatories Ltd
Station Rd, Minety, Malmesbury, Wiltshire SN16 9QY
Tel: 01666 860736

They did my old next door neighbours house and were only slightly more expensive than the company I used.

I had quotes from the other main companies in Swindon and were all considerably more expensive, like £1k - £2k more for the same job.
Old 10 August 2005, 02:17 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm Iwan, and you are still recommending them

Had a guy come out today from Wessex Windows, seems ok, no hard sell, said all the right things with regard window and frame thickness, no hard sell and all that.

We have PVC windows on the study extension we had done last year. They were supplied by "Garden of Eden" and are top quality, Rosewood with wood grain in and out, leaded lights etc, so ideally want something to match.

Next door but one was burgled last night, removed the window pane as the wooden windows are both internal and external sealed. No alarm on the house like us, but still worrying!!
Old 10 August 2005, 02:54 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
Once they're in, make sure you hang onto the receipts and documents since there was some law passed for any windows / doors fitted after April 02 for when you want to sell up.
That'll be FENSA
Old 10 August 2005, 03:19 PM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

Not all fitters are like that. Other half was left alone in people's houses all day and he NEVER took any liberties. He sat in the van to eat his dinner and used his mobile, never the house phone. It is the same with anybody working in your home, some good uns and some bad uns. Not all builders etc are crooks waiting to rip you off.
Old 10 August 2005, 03:21 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

My sister-in-law is an architect so knows a bit about "fenestration"....
She advised us against uPVC replacements as they are not allowed to specify them on new builds. This is for a number of reasons, primarily safety - when heated in a housefire, the uPVC expands and seals the window shut. At the same time, it also gives off highly toxic fumes.
She recommended wood or aluminium, which is what we've gone for. It's powder-coated and to the untrained eye isn't much different visually to uPVC. It was slightly (<10%) more than uPVC, but we are using a local guy who is way cheaper than the national chains (under £5k for a 4-bed house to do the lot). Therefore it's still cheaper overall as you're unlikely to find a national chain who will fit aluminium.
Old 10 August 2005, 03:27 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mungo
She advised us against uPVC replacements as they are not allowed to specify them on new builds. This is for a number of reasons, primarily safety - when heated in a housefire, the uPVC expands and seals the window shut. At the same time, it also gives off highly toxic fumes.
She recommended wood or aluminium, which is what we've gone for. It's powder-coated and to the untrained eye isn't much different visually to uPVC. It was slightly (<10%) more than uPVC, but we are using a local guy who is way cheaper than the national chains (under £5k for a 4-bed house to do the lot). Therefore it's still cheaper overall as you're unlikely to find a national chain who will fit aluminium.
You sure, ALL the new builds around here are uPVC. My extension is uPVC too as wood was not an option. All uPVC windows to the 1st floor have to open fully for fire regs etc.
Old 10 August 2005, 03:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
You sure, ALL the new builds around here are uPVC. My extension is uPVC too as wood was not an option. All uPVC windows to the 1st floor have to open fully for fire regs etc.
All NEW windows, if it's an existing window, you just can't make the situation worse than it currently is. (Yes I know you are talking about new builds but the OP was about replacement )
Old 10 August 2005, 03:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Olly - Please explain, I originally asked about replacement windows, mungo has advised against uPVC stating they are not allowed on new builds, but all the new builds in this area are using uPVC??
Old 10 August 2005, 03:53 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Olly - Please explain, I originally asked about replacement windows, mungo has advised against uPVC stating they are not allowed on new builds, but all the new builds in this area are using uPVC??
Sorry I was referring to the fully opening part. If you are replacing your windows, they have to provide as much access and ventilation as the old ones did. You don't have to start paying out for fire access windows upstairs or have full openers downstairs unless that's what you currently have.

AFAIK you can have uPVC on new builds, all the places round us are using them. Certainly no issue with replacement
Old 10 August 2005, 04:06 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Try your local double glazing people. Remember to stipulate you want the window beads on the inside - this prevents people from de-glazing them from the outside, a common burglar's trick. For thermal insulation, the windows should comply with Document L of the building regulations.

[edit] Try the Glass & Glazing Federation website for a list of approved fitters.
You in the windows game at all?
Old 10 August 2005, 04:12 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mungo

I work for an aluminium windows system company. We sell our systems on the approved fabricators. Most of the work is for commercial buildings but some is for small residential. The new powder coating finishes you can get eg timber look are making aluminium more popular. Aluminium windows have come on a lot in recent years mainly due to new building regs.

also growing in popularity are wood and aluminium famed windows. Timber externally and aluminium on the inside
Old 11 August 2005, 12:15 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Pvc is like butter to a good jemmy. A rental house we were staying in for 6 months while our house was being built was broken into 3 times and each time they just forced the ( hinged) window locks out through the pvc frame. Oh and they look ****e IMHO

Wood all the way for me - if you force it to breaking point it makes a lot of noise
Old 11 August 2005, 12:35 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
You in the windows game at all?
Yes we supply cills / composite panels / flashings / brackets etc to the commercial curtainwalling trade, Kawneer / Technal firms, etc.
Old 11 August 2005, 12:41 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Last edited by STi wanna Subaru; 11 August 2005 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11 August 2005, 01:40 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Hehe, you work at Silkwood Park then ?
Old 11 August 2005, 02:03 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Yep.
Old 11 August 2005, 02:06 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

We do quite a few parts for MC range - custom made spigot inserts, Doc. L rated CW panels, etc. In fact we did quite a lot of work on the units up at Silkwood Park too !