Advice re: house insurance claim

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2005, 11:13 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice re: house insurance claim

Hi Guys,

As a lot of u know I was burgled a few months back and the claim is still ongoing.

Basically the claim was passed to the loss adjuster because we had no receipts for some items and thats where the fun begins.....

The guy was supposed to turn up on the friday afternoon before 3.30. At 4pm we rang to enquire about his whereabouts. He then told us he was delayed at a previous call and wouldnt be coming and HE could only do next wednesday at 3pm. So another afternoon off work for him to come.

He then stayed 10 minutes and left, asking for the documentation proof I had of ownership. I had sent all this to the insurance company special delivery on 12/6/05 and was signed for next day at 9.33. He said he would get it from the insurance company.

A week passed and we got a letter saying he had to do pricing enquires and it would be seven days before we would hear from them. 10 days came and went so I phoned up again and he said it would be complete within 2 days. 2 days came and went no reply. So rang up several times, the guy was never in. Eventually I was told a letter was sent to me saying they are continuing price gathering etc.

I lost my rag with this and moaned to the underwriters and they must have kicked some *** because things are beginning to happen. However they are still saying they have not recieved all the documents, which I sent and they signed for. !!! I may have still got the photocopies I have made but cant be sure as I assumed by now they would have said something if they didnt have them ffs.

Any advice on what to do here. Im just pi$$ed off with it all tbh.
Old 09 August 2005, 11:38 AM
lucylastic
Scooby Regular

Threaten you will take your complaint to the FSA and Insurance Ombudsman if your claim is not concluded within say 5 working days. The letters FSA strike fear into the hearts of Insurers everywhere, trust me!
Old 10 August 2005, 01:44 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

FSA wont look at this. You need to refer to the Financial Ombudsman, but above advice is basically correct - give them a deadline after which you will go to the FO. If they haven't sorted it they will spend months filling in forms
Old 10 August 2005, 09:21 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Hi Guys,

As a lot of u know I was burgled a few months back and the claim is still ongoing.

Basically the claim was passed to the loss adjuster because we had no receipts for some items and thats where the fun begins.....

The guy was supposed to turn up on the friday afternoon before 3.30. At 4pm we rang to enquire about his whereabouts. He then told us he was delayed at a previous call and wouldnt be coming and HE could only do next wednesday at 3pm. So another afternoon off work for him to come.

He then stayed 10 minutes and left, asking for the documentation proof I had of ownership. I had sent all this to the insurance company special delivery on 12/6/05 and was signed for next day at 9.33. He said he would get it from the insurance company.

A week passed and we got a letter saying he had to do pricing enquires and it would be seven days before we would hear from them. 10 days came and went so I phoned up again and he said it would be complete within 2 days. 2 days came and went no reply. So rang up several times, the guy was never in. Eventually I was told a letter was sent to me saying they are continuing price gathering etc.

I lost my rag with this and moaned to the underwriters and they must have kicked some *** because things are beginning to happen. However they are still saying they have not recieved all the documents, which I sent and they signed for. !!! I may have still got the photocopies I have made but cant be sure as I assumed by now they would have said something if they didnt have them ffs.

Any advice on what to do here. Im just pi$$ed off with it all tbh.
Stueyb

I had similar, the loss adjusters seem to be 'busy' to say the least however you paid your premiums - they should be working for you as you are the customer and deserve the best service.
Call the ins co and get a fax no. fax the info they require.
Get name of the person(s) each & every time you speak to someone, chances are you will be dealing with the ins co's call centre. Taking a name usually helps.

Just keep on their case and remember when you look at renewing your policy shop around.

Keep your foot well and truly wedged up the ins co's *** and make a nuisance of yourself - it worked for me!
Old 10 August 2005, 09:44 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps. I made further calls and eventually they miraculously <sp> found them when I stated getting funny and saying that its their problem and they lost the documents not me. I plan to hound the new person every single day until I get resolution, although to be fair, the new adjuster who has taken the case off the old one seems to be much more pleasent and gets things done.

Ill keep you all informed.

Cheers

Stu